• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Nuthatch Coloration (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
Yesterday, I was sitting casually, birding, when a small group of White-Breasted Nuthatches (and one drab, light gray-colored bird that I couldn't identify) landed on the oak tree next to my feeder. If I could make a list of the most often seen birds in my backyard, the White-Breasted Nuthatch would certainly make it into the top three. (Black-Capped-Chickadee or Tufted Titmouse may keep it in third place, if I really had a list). So, I clearly wasn't too interested in them. The reason I kept looking at them was that drab-gray bird I saw before. Now, this wasn't a nuthatch I'm sure, maybe a Gnatcatcher or something, but I saw something different about one of the Nuthatches. It's face (the front of it's head) was surrounded with blue. It wasn't a faint plumage change, either, it was a very crystal clear change in color in one area. I looked up to see if this is just part of their plumage, but I couldn't find anything that looked like it, so I assume it was a morph. Has anyone else seen a morph like this? (I live in the New England reigon in the U.S. in case that helps if there is an explaination for it)

The only thing I would point to, is that in winter, small passerine birds will form mixed species flocks so there must be a chance that it wasn't a Nuthatch?

The only thing I would point to, is that in winter, small passerine birds will form mixed species flocks so there must be a chance that it wasn't a Nuthatch?
It had all the same markings as a White-Breasted Nuthatch. The Gray bird may have been something else but the one with the blue face was a morph, i was just wondering if maybe it was a common thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back