• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is seeing believing? (4 Viewers)

There is an interesting article on eye characteristics describing resolution equivalence, focal length, aperture etc, here: http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eye-resolution.html

It seems that the 'assemblage' of the final perceived visual image is made up of a psychologically determined subset of the integrated image as physically recorded by the two individual eyes (my words). It seems to me that this is why perceived acuity (or ability to detect differences anyway) is better than the supposed limits ...... I think from memory (an increasingly dodgy affair! :) that Kimmo and David had some testing/hypothesis that this was around something like ~1.6x or so (just chucking a figure out there in the hope that one of the mavens will be along presently with the correct one! :) less than the theory predicted ....... ??? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Using Smartphones in bed caused temporary blindness for at least two women.
It can last 15 minutes and is because one eye is dark adapted and the other not.

Diagnosed at Moorfields eye hospital.

This is a news item today June 23.

Smartphones are getting too bright sometimes.

I also noted 15 minutes as being the length of my two episodes mentioned above in this thread.

Sorry KCF.
I am not computer literate so did not know how to post a link.

Thanks Andrew for your help.

P.S.
The real problem is the addiction to technology, in particular mobile devices.

Here, the number of people walking around like zombies with two devices on at the same time is alarming.
I suppose that when they get run over by the heavy traffic, the numbers will reduce somewhat.
This is helped by the fact that the drivers of the lethal 4x4s are also looking at their devices and driving around corners one handed.

Last edited:
I watched a news video showing a teenager texting going down a flooded staircase to a subway . Her eyes never left her smart phone even with 2 feet of gushing water going down the stairwell.
Unfortunately, while in Melbourne a couple of years ago, I personally witnessed people in dire need of a telephonectomy wander in front of trams (and saw the immediate aftermath of other incidents). This is never pretty, and the tram never loses. This despite a fairly prominent campaign to warn people about the toxic mix of trams and inattention. More amusing was the lass who was so busy texting that she walked off the end (or side: I forget) of St Kilda Pier. She couldn't swim. Whoops! Thankfully, there were lifesavers present at the nearby beach - which turned it from something that could have been a big problem into an amusing item for the local news.

...Mike

Last edited:
Should we believe what we see?

I read about a man who for clear and understood physical reasons had areas of his vision that perceived no images: he had blank spots.

His brain refused to accept the existence of these blank spots and filled the blank spaces with images from his memory.

I can't remember all of these images (they changed unpredictably) but a couple if them were images of stained-glass windows that the man had seen in the past and he had seen them in pretty much the position of the blank spots in his vision. It was a feature of these 'halucinations' that they were in the appropriate position of his vision so his brain was definitely trying to make sense of these blank areas.

When scanning areas of brown seaweed and dark rocks, looking for Otters in the west of Scotland, it takes not only experience but a force of will to see detail (and have a chance of spotting the Otter) and not just to allow the eye to dimly register overall outlines. Sometimes having stared at the same spot for many seconds, an otter that was there but I hadn't perceived, would move and suddenly I could see all of its detail and the detail of surrounding rocks and seaweeds and shellfish. It was there all along but I was only looking not 'seeing'. I am more successful and managing this nowadays but it still requires a concious effort.

Vision is what our brain allows it to be, no wonder we can disagree about the view through binoculars.

Lee

Should we believe what we see...Vision is what our brain allows it to be, no wonder we can disagree about the view through binoculars.

Lee

I "SEE" what you are saying, Lee!;)

Although, what I see may not be true reality, for what I perceive Is Reality to me! B :)

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back