• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro? (3 Viewers)

And when he does, I'll attempt to hijack it with a post about something silly as hell that will still be more meaningful than his incessant waffling. :-O

I predict the title of Dennis' next thread will be something like:

Swarovski SV. Best binocular "in the world", or best of all time?

He'll go on to describe how it'll "BLOW AWAY" any other alpha super mega bin out there!

You'll notice I deleted the post that you've quoted above, as it occurred to me it still is too much on topic B :)

The Mets. Love 'em, or hate 'em?

Last edited:
Excelent. The plan is coming together in a most sinister way. [insert maniacal laugh].

James T. Kirk: [on Spock] Who was that pointy-eared bastard?

You'll notice I deleted the post that you've quoted above, as it occurred to me it still is too much on topic B :)

The Mets. Love 'em, or hate 'em?

Hello Annabeth,

I thought that I might give you a glimpse of my Leica BN. My 8x32 FL has superseded it as my "goto" binocular. I let you decide if it has any charm.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

It does! Very cute. :) Those are tough to find now and the red makes it
even more rare.

Annabeth, as a previous owner of an 8x32FL I concur, its still a cracking binocular and one of the most complete performers around, it follows a different path to Swaro, but Amen to that.

Its all about choice, right ?

John.

Yep that's essentially the case; they're all excellent at this level, but have slightly different qualities that appeal to different tastes.

OK Klingon. Now we need a Romulan/Vulcan interpreter. Ron?

McCoy to Spock: "Damn it man, are you out of your Vulcan mind!?"

No Mets fans?

Last edited:
Hello Annabeth,

I thought that I might give you a glimpse of my Leica BN. My 8x32 FL has superseded it as my "goto" binocular. I let you decide if it has any charm.

Happy bird watching,
Eeeeegad! Those would scare any species of bird into the next county. Those are for boating so when you drop them into the ocean with your floating strap you can see them.

Yesterday I went back up to the nature store to finally spend some time trying the Victory FL 8x32. This was the first time I took a good long look. Well the little FL has something to say about this notion of the SV being superior to all. What a bright, rich beautiful image the FL achieves. I couldn't tell which was better (SV/FL). The Ultravid falls behind both mainly b/c it's not as bright yet it still has a very nice image. If I were to purchase today I'd go for the Ultravid, as it's a nice blend of what I desire; nice image, compact and light. It also is built well and feels tough and durable (not to say that the others aren't built well). The CA is not controlled in the UV as well as in the FL and SV, but it wasn't bothersome to me.
But the edges the edges. Did you look at the edges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
"There are people on E-bay trying to unload those all the time. I wouldn't be caught dead with a RED binocular."
Reply:
"They opened a new Cabella's by our house. I just spent hours in there smelling the binoculars. There is something about the smell of a Swaro in the morning.

Wow. Now he's quoting himself and answering with a non sequitur. And I was feeling slightly guilty about our nonsense a few posts back.
What was I thinking?

Last edited:

Hello Dennis,

Are you a fetishist?
There is a lot more to a binocular than its edges. Manufacturers, other than that Austrian firm, have made other choices in their designs. Others have written about the costly obsessions of some binocular users and owners.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Edges are for astronomers Dennis and for those who seek out new worlds and new civilisations and boldly swivel their eyeballs down unspeakable wormholes.

The rest of sane-minded humanity centre the subject so they don't loose their eyeballs somewhere round the back of the sockets and then have to unscrew and re-install them.

To the average nature observer edges are unimportant.

But I was surprised at how good the EL SV 8x32 is when I tried it at the Bird Fair. As I posted elsewhere, it really is nearly as good as an FL.

Lee

no, I didn't inspect the edges, as I was focusing on such things as brightness, sharpness, richness of colors.

I did notice that the SV now has the sand color out. I love that sand and black (same as my CL)...very pretty.

Hello Annabeth,

Yep, those things, along with ergonomics, are of high concern to most users. We consumers are fortunate that Zeiss, Nikon, Leica and that Austrian brand, each take a slightly different view in design preferences.

Happy bird watching,

Edges are for astronomers Dennis and for those who seek out new worlds and new civilisations and boldly swivel their eyeballs down unspeakable wormholes.

The rest of sane-minded humanity centre the subject so they don't loose their eyeballs somewhere round the back of the sockets and then have to unscrew and re-install them.

To the average nature observer edges are unimportant.

But I was surprised at how good the EL SV 8x32 is when I tried it at the Bird Fair. As I posted elsewhere, it really is nearly as good as an FL.

Lee

Just my usual counter to this stuff (somebody has to do it ;)). The SV edges are great. Here's how it works. Your brain knows the sharpness is there, registers it immediately, likes it. And the SV eyepiece design allows you to look around and use more of it. I do it all the time. It works. It feels incredibly natural.

Switched to my FL a few days ago and the difference was obvious. Seemed like a little bullseye of sharpness by comparison and you have to keep aiming the thing. Let's hope you aren't looking at more than one bird cause only the one in the middle will be focused. Let's hope you aren't scanning branches to find that little yellow warbler of some sort that won't show itself. You'll never see it in the fuzz.

Maybe people don't realize how functional those edges are until they've seen them and used them for a while, then tried to go back. Rather a disappointing experience.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back