• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the premium ~200 g binocular dying? (8x20) (4 Viewers)

I am also disappointed by this trend. I absolutely love my Swarovski 8x20. 7.5 oz (210 grams) and extremely small.

Here is my pair hiding under a credit card sized card:
20210418_123208.jpg

The new CL pockets, and the Zeiss as well are pretty much 50% more in both weight and volume. The whole point of pockets binos is to be compact! I would rather jump up to 32mm than have something in between.

I use my 8x20 constantly. It gets was more use than any other optic I own. You can take them anywhere and they don't get in the way.

I am also disappointed by this trend. I absolutely love my Swarovski 8x20. 7.5 oz (210 grams) and extremely small.

Here is my pair hiding under a credit card sized card:
View attachment 1380168

The new CL pockets, and the Zeiss as well are pretty much 50% more in both weight and volume. The whole point of pockets binos is to be compact! I would rather jump up to 32mm than have something in between.

I use my 8x20 constantly. It gets was more use than any other optic I own. You can take them anywhere and they don't get in the way.
Not totally convinced it is a trend really, at least the popular Leica trinovid and ultravid I think sell as good as before. The thread is from 2017-2018. I wanted a very compact bino to bring on my pandemic induced work-from-home lunch walks to the nearby river for instance.

Last edited:
Is the Monovid 8x20 candidate for blackout like the Ultravid 8x20?
Isn't the Monovid just like one barrel of the Ultravid 8x20? They both have 15mm of eye relief so I imagine it would be the same, except you can do the "look through your fist" approach and use your hand braced against your face.

Incidentally, I find the 8x20 UV functions quite well as a monocular; lately when I'm going a quick check of something and the binocular are folded up, I find it's faster/easier to just wrap my hand around the folded up body and bring one barrel up to my eye, vs unfolding it and trying to dial in the correct eye relief.

I got my new Ultravid 8x20 yesterday. Very pleased with them, för instance I do not experience blackouts as often as I do with the Nikon 7x35 and Vortex 8x28.

One thing though, the left eyepiece is more stiff to pull out than the other one. As if it is a bit stuck and require twisting to come out. Hmm, guess it might give some with time. Any one seen this glitch?

Nope, no eye glasses, if that is what you mean (not native English speaker).

Just saying that I expected blackouts since there were many reports on these binos being sensible to perfect eye distance setting etc. I was find it to be quite the opposite.

Do you have a Curio? They don't seem to be available in the US right now. I guess they are sold out for the time being.

No, but I tried one at Selfridges (major London department store) a few weeks ago side by side with the Ultravid 8x20. Didn't seem like enough of an improvement if at all to justify an upgrade, but if I had to start from scratch, I would get it over the Leica for the noticeable brighter view and ergonomics.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back