• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My only four hand-held binoculars (1 Viewer)

The "new kid on the block": Leica Ultravid 8x20 replaced my Leica Trinovid 8x20.
View attachment 1535754
Leica Ultravid 8x20 it is the binoculars that I always have with me, obviously due to its extremely compact volume. It has a top mechanical construction. Something totally absent from other pocket binoculars is the generous focus system. It is being serios dimensioned for a comfortable and pleasant experience. Has surprisingly good eye relief, because I raise the eyecups very little and still see the field stop with glasses on. Every time I look through it, I appreciate its optical clarity and colors. The name "Ultravid" suits perfectly!

View attachment 1535755
From an optical and constructive point of view, Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 it is the most balanced of my binoculars. It is very small (the smallest 8x30), being easy to transport when I don't want to have big binoculars, but still without optical compromises. It has an enormous visual field of view, and in the same time it is easy to see up to the field stop, without too much loss of clarity on the edges. The resolution is without reproach on the center! The colors are natural with only a slight warm tint, as they should to be pleasant and calm! The structure is made of magnesium and is covered with a beautiful and velvety to the touch but resistant armor. A very nice pair of binoculars! The name "HG" (High Grade) fits perfectly!

View attachment 1535756
Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 is the binocular that I like everything about it: ease of looking through the eyepieces, wide FOV and AFOV, the best resolution I've encountered, high brightness, glare resistance, impeccable ergonomics for me and mechanical quality. The complex eyepieces, without any reflection, look like two deep wells. In the middle, like a perfect coordinator, is the impeccable focus system! It deserves the name "SF" Smart Focus

View attachment 1535757
Swarovski Habicht 7x42. In addition to two 8x and a 10x, it was normal to choose a 7x. This is the binocular with the strongest personality among the others. May be only little Leica Ultravid can be more characterful! I like the spartan character of Habicht 7x. Those who are sensitive are not allowed to look through it! (I joke :)) However, if they do, they must do it with respect and that way they will understand the true qualities of this Habicht. The image has an unreal clarity with impeccable colors and at the same time pleasantly saturated. The image looks like a bright round painting surrounded by a very thick black frame, or better said hanging on a big black wall. The high light transmission by contrast with this deep black background, amplifies even more the feeling of brightness of the image.

View attachment 1535758
These four binoculars complement each other very well for me, and cover all my handheld binocular situations and requirements!

But on the tripod, for astronomy, I have two large binoculars: APM 28x110 and an APM SemiAPO 70mm Binoscop (45deg.) These two large binoculars gave me the most beautiful images of open star clusters. With APM 70mm binoscop I use pairs of eyepieces that give me magnifications from 12.5x to 67x

I am very happy with this setup!

Nice setup & nice pictures!

Zeiss SF 10x42 focuser is the best I've tried. I can characterize it as very butter smooth and quick response to the slightest movement. Also, the position of the focus wheel in the center of gravity of the binoculars, which is closer to the eyepieces, plays an important role in perfect ergonomics and stability. I took a very suggestive picture of how Zeiss SF can balance over the edge of "the abyss" by more than half of its length. Do not try this at home :)SF 10x42  gravity.JPGSF 10x42 focuser.JPG

Nikon MHG 8x30 focuser is a bit firm, exactly as I needed. It has a kind of "elastic" movement with very pleasant viscosity feeling. This pleasant elasticity, however, takes away a little from the accuracy of movementMHG 8x30 focuser.JPG

Swarovski Habicht 7x42 came with a very stiff focuser. But this disadvantage is compensated by the fact that has accurate focuser without jerking, and has a smooth spin, like a knife in a hardened butter. After using it over time, it lost some of its stiffness, becoming easier to spin and more pleasant. However, it has the stiffest focuser of my binoculars. I think this feeling is also due to the fact that the focus wheel is metal and very thin compared to its diameter (for example Habicht focuser it is three times thinner than Leica Ultravid 8x20 focuser, and twice larger in diameter than Leica one. This makes it hard to spin)Habicht 7x42 focuser.JPG

Leica Ultarvid 8x20 focuser has firmness and accuracy throughout the movement but has a slightly grainy movement that makes it feel less smooth/ continuous. However, the focus wheel is very large for a pocket binoculars, making it more ergonomic, easy to handle and increases spin comfort.Ultravid 8x20 focuser.JPG

Bonus
My Swarovski EL 8x32 specimen that I tested had a grainy and inconsistent movement. Swarovski focuser moves more easily in one direction than the other, with a slight hesitation when changing directionSwaro EL 8x32 focuser.JPG

Even if I have my personal preferences reflected in this table, personally I can get used to any of these focusers, and I can learn the habit curve of each binocular very easily!
focuser.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back