• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My only four hand-held binoculars (1 Viewer)

Oh I agree.... I've been into photography for a while, but lately have become very interested in what you can do with a good mobile phone, a tripod, and some lighting.
So was wondering if it was from a phone or camera.
Not a camera guy, but wondering how good can a mobile phone be? Do you have any pics? Do these have any application to birding? mebbe the 3 camera iPhones??

Not a camera guy, but wondering how good can a mobile phone be? Do you have any pics? Do these have any application to birding? mebbe the 3 camera iPhones??
I have some good shots from a phone, but not wildlife/bird shots. Probably not of interest on this forum.
It can be done by setting the phone up on a stand by a feeder, animal hole, or similar, and remotely shooting.
But good cameras and long lenses are needed for most wildlife applications, and phones are nowhere near that yet.... Samsung s23 Ultra included!!

Concept, minimal folding, mechanical refinement, utilitarian, density, pleasant colors: Leica Trinovid 8x20
Leica Tinovid BCA  8x20.JPG

Tradition, brightness, three-dimensionality, rigidity, simplicity, clarity, realism of colors: Swarovski Habicht 7x42
Swarovski Habicht 7x42.JPG

Ergonomics, engineering, balancing, precision, immersion, resolution: Zeiss Victory SF 10x42
Zeiss Victory SF 10x42.JPG

Design, compactness, comfort, easiness, versatility, wide angle: Nikon Monarch HG 8x30
Nikon Monarch HG 8x30.JPG

I enjoy my binoculars!!

dorubird,

Thanks for the always beautiful photos.

Along with the "latest and greatest" (?) there is a lot to be said for the tried and true. Specifically regarding the Trinovid 8x20, I'm unable to think of any other older bin which is still considered competitive overall with the latest pocket models.

Just out of curiosity, was there any reason you chose the rubber armored model of the 8x20 as opposed to the leatherette version?

Regards,

Mike

dorubird,

Thanks for the always beautiful photos.

Along with the "latest and greatest" (?) there is a lot to be said for the tried and true. Specifically regarding the Trinovid 8x20, I'm unable to think of any other older bin which is still considered competitive overall with the latest pocket models.

Just out of curiosity, was there any reason you chose the rubber armored model of the 8x20 as opposed to the leatherette version?

Regards,

Mike
Thanks!
I had both! If the "BC" leather version was still manufactured today, I would have bought the leather variant. But only the new models benefit from the latest optical improvements. The new Trinovid 8x20 with newer optical layers are only manufactured in "BCArmour" and that's why I opted for it. But the old version is much more beautiful thanks to the leather and is even a little smaller. The image is a little more yellowish and the clarity a little lower because my old model did not have phease coating. But the versions after 1990 improved the clarity a bit because they have phase coating on the prisms.

Here you can read a comparative study related to my Trinovids:
NEW vs OLD.jpg

Great collections!

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask if it is worth buying a used pair of Canon 10x42 L IS WP (I know they are very good and thanks to other threads from this forum, I have read a lot of comparisons and reviews about them) and what to check for, since it would be my first ever expensive (At least for me) purchase.

Thank you very much,

Libero

Last edited:
Concept, minimal folding, mechanical refinement, utilitarian, density, pleasant colors: Leica Trinovid 8x20
View attachment 1518899

Tradition, brightness, three-dimensionality, rigidity, simplicity, clarity, realism of colors: Swarovski Habicht 7x42
View attachment 1518911

Ergonomics, engineering, balancing, precision, immersion, resolution: Zeiss Victory SF 10x42
View attachment 1518913

Design, compactness, comfort, easiness, versatility, wide angle: Nikon Monarch HG 8x30
View attachment 1518915

I enjoy my binoculars!!

Fantastic collection!

Fantastic collection!
Thank you Lebere16!
Regarding to your question, I have never tried this Canon 10x42 IS binoculars, I only tried the Canon 8x25 IS but it did not impress me then! You should post it in the "Canon" topic to receive more answers!
Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Thank you Lebere16!
Regarding to your question, I have never tried this Canon 10x42 IS binoculars, I only tried the Canon 8x25 IS but it did not impress me then! You should post it in the "Canon" topic to receive more answers!
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you, dorubird!

The "new kid on the block": Leica Ultravid 8x20 replaced my Leica Trinovid 8x20.
PA013246.JPG
Leica Ultravid 8x20 it is the binoculars that I always have with me, obviously due to its extremely compact volume. It has a top mechanical construction. Something totally absent from other pocket binoculars is the generous focus system. It is being serios dimensioned for a comfortable and pleasant experience. Has surprisingly good eye relief, because I raise the eyecups very little and still see the field stop with glasses on. Every time I look through it, I appreciate its optical clarity and colors. The name "Ultravid" suits perfectly!

PA013244.JPG
From an optical and constructive point of view, Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 it is the most balanced of my binoculars. It is very small (the smallest 8x30), being easy to transport when I don't want to have big binoculars, but still without optical compromises. It has an enormous visual field of view, and in the same time it is easy to see up to the field stop, without too much loss of clarity on the edges. The resolution is without reproach on the center! The colors are natural with only a slight warm tint, as they should to be pleasant and calm! The structure is made of magnesium and is covered with a beautiful and velvety to the touch but resistant armor. A very nice pair of binoculars! The name "HG" (High Grade) fits perfectly!

PA013241.JPG
Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 is the binocular that I like everything about it: ease of looking through the eyepieces, wide FOV and AFOV, the best resolution I've encountered, high brightness, glare resistance, impeccable ergonomics for me and mechanical quality. The complex eyepieces, without any reflection, look like two deep wells. In the middle, like a perfect coordinator, is the impeccable focus system! It deserves the name "SF" Smart Focus

PA013239.JPG
Swarovski Habicht 7x42. In addition to two 8x and a 10x, it was normal to choose a 7x. This is the binocular with the strongest personality among the others. May be only little Leica Ultravid can be more characterful! I like the spartan character of Habicht 7x. Those who are sensitive are not allowed to look through it! (I joke :)) However, if they do, they must do it with respect and that way they will understand the true qualities of this Habicht. The image has an unreal clarity with impeccable colors and at the same time pleasantly saturated. The image looks like a bright round painting surrounded by a very thick black frame, or better said hanging on a big black wall. The high light transmission by contrast with this deep black background, amplifies even more the feeling of brightness of the image.

PA013236.JPG
These four binoculars complement each other very well for me, and cover all my handheld binocular situations and requirements!

But on the tripod, for astronomy, I have two large binoculars: APM 28x110 and an APM SemiAPO 70mm Binoscop (45deg.) These two large binoculars gave me the most beautiful images of open star clusters. With APM 70mm binoscop I use pairs of eyepieces that give me magnifications from 12.5x to 67x

I am very happy with this setup!

Last edited:
But on the tripod, for astronomy, I have two large binoculars: APM 28x110 and an APM SemiAPO 70mm Binoscop (45deg.) These two large binoculars gave me the most beautiful images of open star clusters. With APM 70mm binoscop I use pairs of eyepieces that give me magnifications from 12.5x to 67x

I am very happy with this setup!
binoculars.JPG

Dorubird,

Well chosen collection of handholdable binoculars. I have considered to get that Swarovski 7x42. Even if it probably does not provide the clear open view with eyeglasses I want. But at my 55+ years age I understand it will probably be the brightest binocular available for me.

Dorubird,

Well chosen collection of handholdable binoculars. I have considered to get that Swarovski 7x42. Even if it probably does not provide the clear open view with eyeglasses I want. But at my 55+ years age I understand it will probably be the brightest binocular available for me.
at this risk of sounding like a broken record - OK there's no risk, I AM a broken record on this :) - try the 7x42 EDG. It's the same price as Habicht, has wonderful 7x42 views, massive eye relief and all the comforts of a modern roof bino.

Scott98,
Yes, I think the EDG 7x42 is a fantastic pair of binoculars! Decisions sound difficult because there are many good binoculars! Everyone's decisions are made depending on the other binoculars in their possession. Because I wanted to have a good porro and a good 7x bino in addition to the 10x and 8x roof binoculars, my choice was the Habicht 7x42, to complement what I already have! EDG 7x42 remains one of the best 7x and is better for birding than Habicht. Habicht is a very niche binocular more for connoisseurs, which requires a lot of subjective passion for binoculars as objects themselves and not just as tools! With Habicht 7x42 it is a more sentimental relationship than rational :)
Habicht 7x.JPG

Last edited:
Dorubird,

thank you!
In addition to being very bright, it also has very accurate colors. It is my standard binoculars when it comes to colors reproduction. They are so accurate that sometimes I miss a little warm tint like in Nikon MHG or Leica Ultravid.

But if I don't get a 7x42 this is a list of 4 binoculars in a possible high class 4-collection:

Swarovski Curio 7x21
Zeiss SFL 8x30 *
Vortex Viper 6x32 HD
Swarovski NL Pure 10x42 *

* need to be tried out first
Vortex 6x32 I got 11 years ago and is the keeper I will never get rid of. And I wonder if it's still the best 6x32 produced.

Last edited:
Scott98,
Yes, I think the EDG 7x42 is a fantastic pair of binoculars! Decisions sound difficult because there are many good binoculars! Everyone's decisions are made depending on the other binoculars in their possession. Because I wanted to have a good porro and a good 7x bino in addition to the 10x and 8x roof binoculars, my choice was the Habicht 7x42, to complement what I already have! EDG 7x42 remains one of the best 7x and is better for birding than Habicht. Habicht is a very niche binocular more for connoisseurs, which requires a lot of subjective passion for binoculars as objects themselves and not just as tools! With Habicht 7x42 it is a more sentimental relationship than rational :)
It sounds rational to me! I love using my porros from the 80's and 90's with inferior glass & coatings to the Habicht of today. You love these because the Habicht glass and views are so good. If you just wanted to feel sentimental you could order a much cheaper pair of older binos :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back