• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a CL 7x21 Curio in my future? (1 Viewer)

The 12x42 has pretty much spoiled me.
The colors are perfect and the blacks are pure black with no smearing like on woodpecker where black meets white. Zero CA and perfect color rendition is something special in this bino and you really notice it when going back and forth between other binoculars.
Same with the NL 10x42. Perfect color rendition and a huge FOV that is sharp right to the edge. I think they are pretty hard to beat. I have the NL 8x32, and it is very good, but that NL 10x42 blew me away. I am glad I got the NL 10x42 instead of the NL 10x32. I think it would be more finicky for eye placement and not as bright with the smaller exit pupil. I still think the Curio 7x21 is the best pocket, I just don't know if I will use a pocket that much. I am thinking about keeping it.

I had two 10x42 NL and both I found out when star testing them had coma so I returned them. It’s weird that I had two that did this. They were terrible when i boosted them using my 8x binoculars as a booster so I knew I could never be satisfied with them. The 12 NL has nice concentric star pattern when boosted.

I had two 10x42 NL and both I found out when star testing them had coma so I returned them. It’s weird that I had two that did this. They were terrible when i boosted them using my 8x binoculars as a booster so I knew I could never be satisfied with them. The 12 NL has nice concentric star pattern when boosted.
What do you mean by "boosted"? Forgive my ignorance if this should be obvious to me.

I used another pair of binoculars behind them to increase the magnification. The little Zeiss 3x12 monocular is good to do this also. It’s a good way to see how good the optical quality is when looking at a star. They will never look as good as a telescope when star testing but you can get a pretty good idea.

Hi everybody,
This is my first post as a new member. I am interested in buying the 7x21 Curios and my question is
I own a pair of Swarovski nl pure 10x32 and am blown away by their quality and performance, how close to these in sharpness and clarity are the Curios. I feel a small size take anywhere set would compliment my nl pure.

I own a pair of Swarovski nl pure 10x32 and am blown away by their quality and performance, how close to these in sharpness and clarity are the Curios. I feel a small size take anywhere set would compliment my nl pure.
I own the NL Pure 8x32. In broad daylight, I found the Curio to be very close except for the wide FOV.
And of course, the comfort of very compact binoculars is always lower and one need to learn how to position them precisely. A lot of people can use small binoculars efficiently but others will never get to this point and this is normal.

In your case, of course x7 vs x10 will make a difference so do not except to see the same small details.

I feel a small size take anywhere set would compliment my nl pure.
It sounds ideal, with the caveat that you're pairing a model with the widest available AFOV (~70°) with a pocket bin of only ~50°. That's an enormous contrast. Will it keep you from enjoying the Curio?

After reading lots of reviews and interesting Bird forums I've ordered a pair of Curio 7x21s from the guys in Western Australia. Lucky to find stock available, and great service as well.They should arrive next week and I will post my thoughts. Thank you,

Looking forward to your impressions. I wear a pocket bin pretty much everywhere and have for many years. Even the best of them aren’t as good as a premium full-sized binocular but I found that the little ones were all I was willing to bring if I wasn’t specifically bird watching. So long as you accept that your soon-to-arrive Curios provide (in my opinion) the best view available for their format, you should be happy. Once you sort out the most convenient way to carry them, you’ll be amazed how often they come in handy.

Here’s an example: I was walking my dog today and noticed a couple of moose across a frozen lake. Without binoculars all I could tell was that they were probably both female. With the little Curios I was able to see both were pregnant and one was significantly younger than the other. My guess is that a mother failed to run off her daughter before last season’s rut, both got pregnant, and they continued to stay together through the Winter. It’s all speculation on my part of course, but being able to observe them was a highlight of the walk. I wouldn’t have thought of bringing my 8x32s on the walk as there just isn’t enough birding activity this time of year to justify it.

Attachments

• Moose (2).jpg
    Moose (2).jpg
    414 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Mike,

For "truly pocketable", yes it's the Curio over the VP. With either, I'm still always always surprised by the quality of the image to size ratio. The Terra are similar in size to the VP and both are much larger than the Curio. See pics below, sorry about the quality.

Mike
The Two Mikes,

What about eye/face fit? The Curio is smaller but so is the diameter of the eyecups. How do you keep the EPs steady against your face?

Brock

I read good thing about the Curio. How are the eyecups? Narrower than the eyecups of for instance the CL 8x25? I read comments that the 8x25's aren't real pocket bins, but isnt it true that the viewing comfort of a bit bigger bins with wider eyecups and a bit more weight is better?
So in case your pockets are big enough, the CL 8x25 would be the one to pick? The AFOV and the exit pupil a a little bigger too. A 7 power has more DOV. That would be nice af course.
But for me: I have big pockets, I do not care about a bit more weight, I liker higher magnifications, I do care about viewing comfort. I even read that the viewing comfort of the Terra 8x25 is a bit better compared with the CL 8x25, because they have a bit more volume. That's what counts for me as well.
I know, it's all about personal reference. But what about the viewing comfort? Isn't the Curio too little in that respect, if weight and size doesn't matter that much?
Sorry, missed this, I had the same question.

The Two Mikes,

What about eye/face fit? The Curio is smaller but so is the diameter of the eyecups. How do you keep the EPs steady against your face?

Brock

Brock,

Somehow I am able to get along with many different pocket models with respect to eye placement with or without glasses and depending on lighting and wind conditions I'll use without glasses with eyecups either fully up or all the way down braced just under my brow. I'm fine even down to a 2.2 EP. This probably accounts in part for my PND (Pocket Nut Disorder). The eyecups on the Terra, VP and Curio are all comfortable and all have enough ER for my close fitting prescription sunglasses when desired. The only eyecups I find slightly uncomfortable are the SW 8x20 and 8x25 CL. Not a deal breaker but noticeable. For me the Curio handles very well, better than any other 20mm, and second only to the much larger VP.

Mike

Unfortunately, it is no longer available in the market. Olympus 8x21 DCP, which is identical to this one, except for the magnification, was my first real bino and I was totally satisfied with it. It was the perfect bino I ever had and I am not even satisfied with NL 8x42 compared to that little cutiee. However, this is only my personal experience 😀😀

Viraj, post 96,
We have investigated the Olumpus 7x21 together with a number of other compact binoculars (see the WEB-site of House of Outdoor) and I was not very impressed by it because of its short eyerelief of 8 mm . Advantage was, however, its FOV of 131m/1000m. With transmission values of 80-84% and good color reproduction it is for its price an acceptable binocular.
Gijs van Ginkel

Viraj, post 96,
We have investigated the Olumpus 7x21 together with a number of other compact binoculars (see the WEB-site of House of Outdoor) and I was not very impressed by it because of its short eyerelief of 8 mm . Advantage was, however, its FOV of 131m/1000m. With transmission values of 80-84% and good color reproduction it is for its price an acceptable binocular.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thank you for the info @Gijs van Ginkel. I really enjoyed the 8x21 DCP version 10-12 years ago. Actually, the fact that it was my first real bino might have made a big positive impression on me. That positive impression I had mainly because of the good viewing and handling comfort it offered to me. I think due to my face shape short eye-relief binoculars give the best viewing comfort. Currently, I get the best viewing comfort with UV HD 10x32 which has low eye relief for most of the people. I will buy one more pair of 8x21 which is still available in the market around 50 euros to see whether it would still amuses me 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back