• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a CL 7x21 Curio in my future? (1 Viewer)

Brock,

Somehow I am able to get along with many different pocket models with respect to eye placement with or without glasses and depending on lighting and wind conditions I'll use without glasses with eyecups either fully up or all the way down braced just under my brow. I'm fine even down to a 2.2 EP. This probably accounts in part for my PND (Pocket Nut Disorder). The eyecups on the Terra, VP and Curio are all comfortable and all have enough ER for my close fitting prescription sunglasses when desired. The only eyecups I find slightly uncomfortable are the SW 8x20 and 8x25 CL. Not a deal breaker but noticeable. For me the Curio handles very well, better than any other 20mm, and second only to the much larger VP.

Mike
Thanks for that explanation. Having large hands, I have never suffered from PND. :) I can only hold pocket roofs with my fingers, which makes for shakes. The EPs are the Olympus 7x21 are small and do slide around inside my eye sockets, so I have to lean them against my cheek, which fortunately, I have enough bone structure to act as a "ledge."

Having more "real estate," the Olympus reverse porros are much easier for me to hold than any compact roof. And... the views are sharp and bright. Even if I were rolling in dough again, I can't imagine me spending $900 on a compact bin unless it was my main birding bin. I take the Olympus with me when I go for hikes since it's small and light and fits easily in my backpack.

I don't know how much they cost, they were a gift from another BF member, but I'm sure it wasn't very expensive since it's less costly to get sharp, bright images from a porro than it is a roof, but even sight unseen, $920 for a compact roof, however sharp, is Crazy Eddy insane!

If find more than occasional use for a compact, I would upgrade to a Bushnell Elite E2 7 x 26 Custom Compact.

Brock

Last edited:
I'll say some more later, but want to note that I'm just back from the river cruise along the Murray River in South Australia which specifically inspired me to buy my 7x21 Curios. They performed well (not perfectly, because perfect is unachievable, but well) and did exactly as I wanted, hoped, and expected them to.

I had them in my top pocket at most times (until use, obviously, and I used them frequently). I also took along my 10x40 Zeiss SFLs (I'm glad about that, too) but as I expected in the circumstances I had far more use from my Curios on this trip.

I'm most impressed by them.

...Mike

Oh. I spoiled my mind too much after reading a lot of good posts about Curio. It is one rare example to see less bad compared to the good 😉😉 After resisting soo long finally I couldn't continue it anymore, and ordered a pair for myself. Normally, I like small binoculars and hope they will give me the most use. Certainly, they will be a huge upgrade from my Eschenbach Club 8x20, optical quality-wise but not size-wise 😂 Who knows, If it is too good I would sell my NL 8x42 😉

I spoiled my mind too much after reading a lot of good posts about Curio.
After resisting soo long finally I couldn't continue it anymore, and ordered a pair…
And that right there is how the Curio became the only binocular that I’ve bought brand new, and from a dealer.
Eventually I decided it was worth the risk and that they wouldn’t be too hard to sell if I didn’t like them. Fortunately I like them quite a bit.

Oh. I spoiled my mind too much after reading a lot of good posts about Curio. It is one rare example to see less bad compared to the good 😉😉 After resisting soo long finally I couldn't continue it anymore, and ordered a pair for myself. Normally, I like small binoculars and hope they will give me the most use. Certainly, they will be a huge upgrade from my Eschenbach Club 8x20, optical quality-wise but not size-wise 😂 Who knows, If it is too good I would sell my NL 8x42 😉
Excellent Viraj, your NL is gonna get some competition with that little pocket rocket 🚀 such a great view the Curio throws up!

And that right there is how the Curio became the only binocular that I’ve bought brand new, and from a dealer.
Eventually I decided it was worth the risk and that they wouldn’t be too hard to sell if I didn’t like them. Fortunately I like them quite a bit.
Hello,
And in your opinión how is compared with your trinovid/ultravid Leica pockets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back