• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Cackling Goose - Ontario (1 Viewer)

chris8030

I believe this to be a Cackling Goose, but having never seen one before I am not sure. Is it or is it just a Canada? Thanks! This is at Port Credit, Mississauga Ontario.

IMG_1871a.jpg

Ok thank you. But why is the neck so short? It definitely looked different from the other Canada's around. Is this then a 'lesser' canada goose?

Ok thank you. But why is the neck so short? It definitely looked different from the other Canada's around. Is this then a 'lesser' canada goose?

Hard to say from a single photo. Geese seem to be able to stretch and compress their necks, so it could just be the temporary posture of the bird.

Jim

Can someone tell me why this is not an Aluetian Cackling Goose? The bird is too small to be the larger Canada Goose. Look at the square head, and smaller beak. I took pictures of a similar bird next to a Canada Goose.

Definitely a Canada (it's much larger than the mallards). The bill looks well within the range for Canada Goose, study any large flock and you'll find plenty with shorter looking bills than this.

Can someone tell me why this is not an Aluetian Cackling Goose? The bird is too small to be the larger Canada Goose. Look at the square head, and smaller beak. I took pictures of a similar bird next to a Canada Goose.

As already noted, this bird lacks the short, stubby bill of a Cackling Goose, which appears almost triangular. The bill of the subject bird appears mostly flat. Also, Aleutian Cackling Geese, IIRC, are the smallest race, and are about the size of a Mallard. This bird is twice the length of the Mallards in the photo. Note also the short primary projection with wings falling short of the tail tip. Cackling geese wings typically reach or surpass the tail tip.

Jim

Sibley:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/identification-of-cackling-and-canada-goose/

"Distinguishing B. h. hutchinsii from large Canada Geese is relatively easy. In general hutchinsii is much smaller with a short, stubby bill, relatively round or even square head with steep forehead (vs wedge-shaped head), and relatively short neck. They appear paler silvery gray on the upperparts and upperwing coverts in some lighting conditions, with the feathers having a more conspicuous dark subterminal bar and a broader and more conspicuous pale tip"

Last edited:
As already noted, this bird lacks the short, stubby bill of a Cackling Goose, which appears almost triangular. The bill of the subject bird appears mostly flat. Also, Aleutian Cackling Geese, IIRC, are the smallest race, and are about the size of a Mallard. This bird is twice the length of the Mallards in the photo. Note also the short primary projection with wings falling short of the tail tip. Cackling geese wings typically reach or surpass the tail tip.

Jim

Jim

Aluetian Cackling (leucopareia) is larger than Cackling (minima). minima is the smallest. We then agree this bird is not minima.

After taking a second look I am not convinced any longer it is leucopareia based on comparing it to a bird I saw and photographed in California that is leucopareia:

http://www.naturepixels.com/IMG_9296.jpg

Here is another image of the same bird with a Canada Goose:

http://www.naturepixels.com/IMG_9281.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back