• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a common buzzard or smth else? (1 Viewer)

Olioli

Germany
Hello! Can you please help me identify this beauty? It's North-West Germany, a big city, almost the city center but a green area with parks and all.
There are at least three of these birds here - I've seen them soaring together. The video was taken right from my balcony. They come here almost every day, fly around and scream, and sit on the trees and the roofs.
I'm curious to know what they are, and most importantly want to know whether it's safe for my cat to hang out on the balcony with these neighbors :) Do these birds consider cats as prey? Thanks in advance!

I uploaded the video on Youtube - there's sound of the bird's scream. And here are a couple of photos as well.

Знімок екрана 2023-08-15 о 14.58.25.pngЗнімок екрана 2023-08-15 о 15.36.30.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm curious to know what they are, and most importantly want to know whether it's safe for my cat to hang out on the balcony with these neighbors :) Do these birds consider cats as prey? Thanks in advance!
An adult cat is too dangerous for a buzzard. Kittens might be another story. AFAIK the only native raptors of the region that have been known to prey on adult cats are Golden Eagle and Eagle Owl. But in general, it's unlikely for raptors, including buzzards, to brazenly snatch pets from a balcony in broad daylight.

Hi Olioli and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Given the dark carpal patches, white area at the rump (would have to be on the upper tail feathers perhaps), maybe a broad subterminal band, and longish wings visible in the video (confirmation bias?), how could I safely seperate it from Rough-legged Buzzard if it were sighted in winter?

Given the dark carpal patches, white area at the rump (would have to be on the upper tail feathers perhaps), maybe a broad subterminal band, and longish wings visible in the video (confirmation bias?), how could I safely seperate it from Rough-legged Buzzard if it were sighted in winter?
More compact proportions, no dark bars on the tail, body all clear... The one seen in the photo is a young

Users who are viewing this thread

Back