• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Canon binocular worth getting? (1 Viewer)

I need your help.

I've come across this pair of discontinued Canon compact binoculars advertised for $75 Cdn in supposedly Used - Like New Mint condition, which I give the vendor the benefit of the doubt.

It's a Canon 8x23A compact binocular (pre-owned, used). See the 3 attached pics. Here are some specs on it: Close focus = 9.8 feet, FOV = 394 feet, Eye relief = 11 mm, it's waterproof and weighs .55 lbs. It also has a computer controlled image stabilized prism (It's NOT an IS bino) [Edit: added the following: Optical image stabilizer A computer-controlled Vari-Angle Prism (VAP) system that compensates for movement to provide a clearer view] and Super Spectra Multi Coatings.

My question is:

Will it provide superior images and really bright, sharp, crisp views?

I am specifically, only looking for superior views ie., brightness, sharpness and crispness that would come close to (maybe one notch below) my Vortex Crossfire HD 8x42's, Celestron Nature DX ED 8x42's, Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32's, Celestron Nature DX compact 10x25's and finally my Olympus Outback compact 8x21 RCI's which ALL have really bright views.

I am NOT looking for slightly sub-standard image quality, like my Pentax UCF G 8x25's (even though they are nice bino's), which is not as bright as all of the binoculars mentioned above.

It's a little over an hours drive (return trip, there and back home) to the vendor, so I don't want to waste my time, gas and also have to deal with backed up, congested city/highway traffic if it's not worth getting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.
In Mississauga, Ontario
Canada

Attachments

• Canon 1.jpg
    Canon 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Canon 2.jpg
    Canon 2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Canon 3.jpg
    Canon 3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
8x23 gives a relatively small exit pupil so I wouldn't expect them to be particularly bright. I've never been very impressed with Canon binoculars (not tried the L series which are supposedy better).

I need your help.

I've come across this pair of discontinued Canon compact binoculars advertised for $75 Cdn in supposedly Used - Like New Mint condition, which I give the vendor the benefit of the doubt.

It's a Canon 8x23A compact binocular (pre-owned, used). See the 3 attached pics. Here are some specs on it: Close focus = 9.8 feet, FOV = 394 feet, Eye relief = 11 mm, it's waterproof and weighs .55 lbs. It also has a computer controlled image stabilized prism (It's NOT an IS bino) and Super Spectra Multi Coatings.

My question is:

Will it provide superior images and really bright, sharp, crisp views?

I am specifically, only looking for superior views ie., brightness, sharpness and crispness that would come close to (maybe one notch below) my Vortex Crossfire HD 8x42's, Celestron Nature DX ED 8x42's, Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32's, Celestron Nature DX compact 10x25's and finally my Olympus Outback compact 8x21 RCI's which ALL have really bright views.

I am NOT looking for slightly sub-standard image quality, like my Pentax UCF G 8x25's (even though they are nice bino's), which is not as bright as all of the binoculars mentioned above.

It's a little over an hours drive (return trip, there and back home) to the vendor, so I don't want to waste my time, gas and also have to deal with backed up, congested city/highway traffic if it's not worth getting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.
In Mississauga, Ontario
Canada
Computer controlled image stabilized prism but not IS sure sounds like marketing bafflegab to me.
I think Richard D. has it right, you're not likely to achieve superior brightness in an 8x23 glass.
My only experience with the format was a Nikon 8x23 Venturer, nicely sharp and compact, but not the brightest and definitely not waterproof. :(

Hello,

please note, that the mentioned binocular ( Canon 8x23A compact binocular) hasnt a stabililization of whatever kind (prism ....).
Yes, a website might well mention this, but I am very confident, that this one hasnt this feature (if it has one, it is well worth buying as a collectors item).

If it is well collimated and has clean optics, that means fungus/dust free, without scretches on the ocular lenses (affects image more than ones on the objective lenses), than it has fair optics=you can have fun with them.
But I think that a price of $75 Cdn is at the upper end of a good price, even for a mint exemplar. Yes, there are points to be considered here, like supporting a local shop with experiened/helpful stuff and other things like this. For example, if you can test this at the shop against other ones (I noticed your other post) with the help of experiened/helpful stuff (worth paying for imo. Really. Serious statement)
Or it is a very good example, a point that needs to be considered with binoculars of this price/quality sector much more, than with high grade optics.

But please note, that imo every birder should have (at least one) of such smaller/lighter optics. The best binocular is the one, you carry with you.

I'd get it simply because I like my Canon 8x32WP but that one has field flatteners which was what I wanted.
So for a reasonable price I think that small Canon could be a nice purchase.

I'd get it simply because I like my Canon 8x32WP but that one has field flatteners which was what I wanted.
So for a reasonable price I think that small Canon could be a nice purchase.
Hey Binocollector Philipp,

So I ended up picking up the Canon compact 8x23A binocular this morning. I got it for $50 Cdn, off a private seller on Kijiji/Facebook Marketplace. It's a nice little bino in very good condition. Unfortunately, all it came with was the lens caps and a strap, no carrying case. As far as I know it has a minimum of 2 previous owners.

The only way I can rate it, is to compare it to my 4 other compact binoculars in my small but growing collection. I can only go by what I see. Like most others, I'm basically looking for bright, crisp, sharp images with a large field of view.

The Canon comes closest to my recently acquired Nikon Sportstar EX 8x25 DCF binos I pick up for $60 Cdn last weekend. The Canon is a touch less bright than the Nikon and appears to have a slightly smaller field of view. Other than that, the sharpness and crispness of the image is relatively the same quality as the Nikon. It's definitely a keeper.

So for others reading this thread, looking for compact binos with superior views, here is how I rate the five compacts that I own.

From best to "least best":

1. Nikon Sportstar EX 8x25 DCF. Brightest of the bunch!

2. Canon 8x23 A. One notch lower brightness than the Nikon. Tied with the Olympus and the Celestron below.
2. Olympus Outback 8x21 RCI. Packs a real punch for such a tiny bino.
2. Celestron Nature DX 10x25. Which I will be selling because the 10x mag provides shaky views. I made a mistake by buying a 10x's bino.

3. Pentax UCF G 8x24. One notch lower brightness than the Canon, Celestron and the Olympus but still a very good all around bino.

Next on my "hit list" is the highly rated Bausch & Lomb Custom Compact 7x26 and the Olympus Wide PC 8x25.

Mark
Recent life long, helpless, incurable, infectious COBBAS victim.
COBBAS - Compulsive Obsessive Bino Buying Addiction Syndrome.
Illness:
What I NEED are binos! More binos, bigger binos, better binos, lighter binos, faster binos and even more
Powerful, Super Binos. And finally, when I acquire them all, then only will I be truly happy and be able to enjoy the view ...

Bluesjunkie,

Where is the best place to procure the Prostar EX 8X25 DCF, I am curious about it. However the ER could be a bit low, even though I do not wear glasses.

Bluesjunkie,

Where is the best place to procure the Prostar EX 8X25 DCF, I am curious about it. However the ER could be a bit low, even though I do not wear glasses.
The Sportstar EX was the version sold outside the USA, and it was called the Trailblazer in the US. Identical looks and specs and MIC. I still see the EX on Amazon UK and the Trailblazer on Amazon US although I am fairly certain they have been discontinued for some time. A fairly wide FOV at 8.2* in the 8x25 for this type of optic. I would guess the Nikon Acculon A30 is the model that replaced them.

Back in 2011 I posted a direct comparison of the 8x25 Sportstar EX and 8x25 Olympus Tracker reverse porro in this Cheap Bino thread. An interesting re read as it covers a lot of the older models. And the usual Dennis. :) The Tracker seems to have won out

Hey Binocollector Philipp,

So I ended up picking up the Canon compact 8x23A binocular this morning. I got it for $50 Cdn, off a private seller on Kijiji/Facebook Marketplace. It's a nice little bino in very good condition. Unfortunately, all it came with was the lens caps and a strap, no carrying case. As far as I know it has a minimum of 2 previous owners.

The only way I can rate it, is to compare it to my 4 other compact binoculars in my small but growing collection. I can only go by what I see. Like most others, I'm basically looking for bright, crisp, sharp images with a large field of view.

The Canon comes closest to my recently acquired Nikon Sportstar EX 8x25 DCF binos I pick up for $60 Cdn last weekend. The Canon is a touch less bright than the Nikon and appears to have a slightly smaller field of view. Other than that, the sharpness and crispness of the image is relatively the same quality as the Nikon. It's definitely a keeper.

So for others reading this thread, looking for compact binos with superior views, here is how I rate the five compacts that I own.

From best to "least best":

1. Nikon Sportstar EX 8x25 DCF. Brightest of the bunch!

2. Canon 8x23 A. One notch lower brightness than the Nikon. Tied with the Olympus and the Celestron below.
2. Olympus Outback 8x21 RCI. Packs a real punch for such a tiny bino.
2. Celestron Nature DX 10x25. Which I will be selling because the 10x mag provides shaky views. I made a mistake by buying a 10x's bino.

3. Pentax UCF G 8x24. One notch lower brightness than the Canon, Celestron and the Olympus but still a very good all around bino.

Next on my "hit list" is the highly rated Bausch & Lomb Custom Compact 7x26 and the Olympus Wide PC 8x25.

Mark
Recent life long, helpless, incurable, infectious COBBAS victim.
COBBAS - Compulsive Obsessive Bino Buying Addiction Syndrome.
Illness:
What I NEED are binos! More binos, bigger binos, better binos, lighter binos, faster binos and even more
Powerful, Super Binos. And finally, when I acquire them all, then only will I be truly happy and be able to enjoy the view ...
I would suggest you try the 8x25 Olympus Tracker PCI but they are hard to find. Much, much better than the Outbacks IMO. Only a 6* FOV but really sharp and bright. If you ever find or try one, a suggestion I made many years back on the Trackers was to black out the silvered inside ends of the objective tubes which will cut down on any glare issues.
The Bushnell and Bausch & Lomb fully multicoated 7x26's are the best, but hard to find and expensive. The earlier ones are very good as well if you can find them in good condition. Make sure to have pics sent looking back thru the objectives for any fungus and junk.
I have a pair of the Olympus Wide PC 8x25 and the 9* fov is nice - BUT - I don't wear eyeglasses and with the eyecups down I have to jam them so far into my eye sockets to see the full FOV that it HURTS. The diameter of the eyecups is quite large and ER quite short. While that wide FOV is nice, the optics don't seem very sharp to me either.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back