• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It might not make a summer... (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker said:
Another 3-4 weeks before they get up here . . .

Possibly sooner. They have passed through here in the Midlands a few days ago, not that I have seen any yet.

It will be nice when I do see one but the one thing I am looking forward to seeing is the arrival of the Swifts. Where I used to live in Leamington Spa we used to have a hundred plus wheeling around the houses for the duration of their stay. Now that I have moved to Coventry I wonder if I will get to see any around where I now live.

Reader said:
Possibly sooner. They have passed through here in the Midlands a few days ago, not that I have seen any yet.

Doubt it - the early birds through your way will be headed up the warmer west side of Britain to western Scotland - east of the Pennines the spring is very cold because of the cold water in the North Sea (still only 7°C, rising to 9° by mid May). So everything here tends to arrive significantly later than in western Scotland

Reader said:

It will be nice when I do see one but the one thing I am looking forward to seeing is the arrival of the Swifts. Where I used to live in Leamington Spa we used to have a hundred plus wheeling around the houses for the duration of their stay. Now that I have moved to Coventry I wonder if I will get to see any around where I now live.

I'll have to watch what i say, last time i replied to a swallow posting (last year) it got chopped by the mods, hopefully this one will be ok :)

I had two barn swallow in Wolvey on Saturday morning while out fishing, still not seen any sand or house martin yet though.

Reader,
We get prob. get a max 20 swift were i live, but you never know where you are might be different.

Jeff

Agreed Reader, the Swifts do it for me. In my head I scream "Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiift!" when I see one!

Andrew said:
Agreed Reader, the Swifts do it for me. In my head I scream "Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiift!" when I see one!

LOL Andrew...me too!!! Fantastic birds, aren't they! Looking at last year's diary I had my first Swifts arrive on 2nd May. Won't be long now...

I love to see the first Swallow too though...always gives me a lift and a feeling that summer is not far away. o:)

GILL

pauco said:
Nice one Andy, :t: should be sand & house martins next.

Sand Martins have been around for a little while down here (and I have been told that they have arrived in North Yorkshire). Yet to see a House Martin, though.

It was reported a day or two after. Nice bird if you can get it. Saw one last year but it was in Mallorca, just as exhilarating all the same!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back