• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2021 (1 Viewer)

Now Scally has got the worst of a fight (well I haven't seen any such damage on any of my group in the last day or so): he's had a bite over his left eye and I'm not sure from the one photo I have whether the eye itself is damaged: certainly two canines have bitten right at the edge of the socket. He's been noticeably bad-tempered - I think that must be why.

I went out to peer at the moth trap late evening yesterday and had a quick scan of the wall above it in case anything was roosting there. At that moment Maz turned the bathroom light on and a bat that had been hanging up on the window frame let go and swooped towards me before zooming up over my head. I need to look more carefully in future!

John

The foxes continue to turn up en masse every night. Patch is still hopping on three legs but can stand on four to eat, which is an improvement. Scally already seems absolutely fine after his face bite albeit even more battle-scarred than he already was with his scalloped ear.

Yesterday late evening I was leaving my brother's house in Fleet and found a Badger trundling about the end of the street, checking out the dog bowls from which the local foxes are fed each evening (Fleet is posher than Farnborough it seems!)

John

An absolute pack of foxes present tonight with the four dogs and two vixens all around at the same time. I managed to feed everyone though each vixen got robbed at least once. Patch was much better using all four feet albeit a little tentatively and giving notice that he no longer feels vulnerable...

John

A quick update as I have not posted for a while but seen a few things since my last post - Red Squirrels on the Isle of Wight, Wild Boar in the Forest of Dean, local muntjac and the garden badgers

Attachments

• Red Squirrel (10).jpg
    Red Squirrel (10).jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Red Squirrel (13).jpg
    Red Squirrel (13).jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_3227.jpg
    DSC_3227.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Muntjac.jpg
    Muntjac.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Badger (14).jpg
    Badger (14).jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 3
Another update, plenty of Garden badger, fox and muntjac action and loads of local hares but a recent visit to Bawdsey hide in Suffolk produced cracking views of Polecat, muntjac and brown rats, some being predated by tawny owls.

Attachments

• towl.jpg
    towl.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 16
  • pc2.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 51600082474_33caae614e_c.jpg
    51600082474_33caae614e_c.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
  • mj.jpg
    mj.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 15
  • pc.jpg
    pc.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 15
Another update, plenty of Garden badger, fox and muntjac action and loads of local hares but a recent visit to Bawdsey hide in Suffolk produced cracking views of Polecat, muntjac and brown rats, some being predated by tawny owls.
Jeez, Mark, outstanding! Is that public access or bookable somewhere? More than slightly envious....

I'm glad you have loads of local hares. They seem to have thinned out in traditional haunts locally to me although there are a few spots doing better (not the ones I'm used to using, sadly!)

Cheers

John

It's time I gave an account of this year's mammals on Shetland. We boated on overnight 26/27 September and came off overnight 9/10 October, with no interesting mammal sightings in either direction despite calm seas.

Unable to take over our accommodation till afternoon, we passed the time digging out the Girlsta King Eider at long range, a fairly scabby individual with most of the views almost subliminal glimpses of an orange bill. The local Rabbits and Common Seals were much easier, with severe doubt about who was watching who between us and the seals.

Once we did move into the Sea Barn at Hillswick a quick scan of the bay immediately revealed a couple of Grey Seals and a dog Otter fishing in the bay - hard to remember now that on our first visit it took us all fortnight to see an Otter!

Presumably the same dog Otter was fishing again the following morning (28/9) before we set off to work our local patch, which didn't produce much apart from a Yellow-brow and a Snow Bunting over.

The 29th was Marion's and my 20th wedding anniversary so after an exchange of cards I left her to potter about Hillswick while Roy and I set off for the South with the Nurneys in tow in their car. Two more Otters, bitch and cub, were at Loch Spiggie, and the bay at the West end of the Sumburgh cross runway was stuffed with Harbour Porpoises. The other side of the bay, naturally. We all had a very fine meal at the St Magnus Bay Hotel after splitting a bottle of Veuve Clicquot in the evening, to celebrate Marion putting up with me for so long.

The last day of September didn't produce any mammal sightings though we started to note the usual carnage of Hedgehog and Ferret corpses on the roads. On the first of October we saw a live Hedgehog on the way back from fish and chips at the Nurneys' gaff - woo hoo! Another couple of blank days followed, not least because the weather went right off, to the point that the boat didn't run and the planes and choppers didn't fly. We didn't go out, just went slowly mad listening to the howl and moan of our front door's tiny gap doing an impression of Scott of the Antarctic for 24 hours.

4 October and again no mammals worth noting. Instead we dragged Maz kicking and screaming from the warm house and out to Easter Quarff for a Western Bonelli's Warbler. Actually it was still either/or when we arrived but called almost immediately. Western. A Semi-palmated Sandpiper at Virkie was easier to see but disappointingly distant after the approachable one at Grutness a couple of years ago: but none of us felt like being the one fingered for walking closer and flushing it, after all it was just a Semi-p. Four Shorelarks at Scatness obligingly walked towards us once we had figured out their feeding direction which was much nicer and gave us great views of these charismatic birds.

5 October and as we drove down the slope to start the stretch of road alongside Ronas Voe, an Otter swam in towards the bank. We pulled over and gave it a couple of machine-gun bursts from the roadside, which it blithely ignored, continuing its swim/dive, swim/dive progress along the shallow edge of the voe. Terrific views of an Olive-backed Pipit at Isbister added some birding colour to a principally mammal day with both Grey and Common Seals plus Rabbits pushing mammal numbers up (all right, a long mammal day list isn't really possible on Shetland) before news broke of a Humpback Whale heading slowly South at Fladdabister. We've dipped a few of those, but felt recklessly confident and pointed the nose of the Octavia South. Just like when we missed the White-tailed Eagle we tried to anticipate the whale's movement by going slightly beyond the sighting report to a high overlook above Sandwick. No sign of the Humpback (which was still loitering where it had been) but three pods of White-beaked Dolphins distantly viewed through scopes smashing through the waves and leaping from the water, their huge falcate dorsals and contrasting skins an ID giveaway. When they subsided into feeding mostly underwater we hopped back in the car and retraced our path to then skitter through minor roads out to Aithsetter where the Humpback Whale was still showing on and off, though not doing anything very exciting, just blowing, arching and diving - though I saw my first Humpback tail flukes in Britain, which was something!

After that we headed back North for a Radde's Warbler which was showing occasionally near Sullom, and at least managed to see it, though it wasn't exactly accommodating.

Later in the day we took part from the fringes in a bit of a gathering of birders admiring a full summer plumage White-billed Diver at South Nesting Bay, which was also stuffed with Harbour Porpoises. Seven mammal species in a day, great: the White-billed Diver was my 300th Scottish bird which was a milestone of sorts for a Hampshire lad.

Next day the otter was once more in the bay at Hillswick, but the mammal thrill of the day was a couple of Common Seals porpoising at North Collafirth, something I'd only seen once before, when staying at Rivendell. Honestly.

The weather was fairly duff again on 7th but the three males (me, Roy and Dave) ventured out to Sandgarth together in the afternoon to avoid going stir-crazy: what we got for our trouble was wet!

On the 8th the highlight was a Tundra Bean Goose at Twatt. We'd dipped it at Effirth a couple of days before, nice get-back. We had more of the bananabill and saw at least 30 Harbour Porpoises in South Nesting Bay, though a couple of Haworth's Minors were a tick and took the honours.

9th was quiet wildlife-wise without even a late show from the Otters. On the 10th we came off the ferry straight onto the roads South, noticing some Red Deer that were new for the year en route to New Swillington Ings and the Long-toed Stint (with bonus Bittern). Within five minutes of getting home in the evening - and while we were still bringing stuff in from the car - the first foxes were sitting watching us with a distinct look of "where the hell have you been?" about them. Nice to see you too, guys.

John

Last edited:
Jeez, Mark, outstanding! Is that public access or bookable somewhere? More than slightly envious....

I'm glad you have loads of local hares. They seem to have thinned out in traditional haunts locally to me although there are a few spots doing better (not the ones I'm used to using, sadly!)

Cheers

John
John,

it is bookable

The polecat is fairly regular

Mark

A fox tale for you all. I think it sheds an interesting light, but make your own minds up....

Yesterday evening I opened the front door to find Smudge sitting with his tail curled over his paws waiting to be fed. So I trotted off to the kitchen and returned with two cooked drumsticks left in the fridge from the previous night. I threw one to Smudge and he came to his feet, walked to it, put his nose down to sniff it, then looked up at me, took a couple of paces away and sat down without touching it. What?

After a minute it was obvious he'd genuinely turned it down so I threw him the other one, which he sniffed, grabbed and retreated to the edge of the lawn with. There he began to flense the flesh from the bone and woof it down.

At this point I saw Smudge's full brother and if I'm honest, my favourite fox of the gang, Patch, loping towards the garden. He too sniffed the abandoned drumstick and turned away from it without touching it. Unheard of! For various reasons we hadn't any more cooked so I fetched a tray of uncooked drumsticks from the fridge and threw one to Patch. He took it without hesitation and began to demolish it with enthusiastic crunching.

Smudge finished his drumstick, again sniffed the other cooked one, again rejected it and came to ask for another, which he got. When he took it some distance away I went out and recovered the rejected item, binned it and washed my hands three times. I was quite prepared to put my faith in the foxes' noses and not prepared to leave the food for another hungrier one to maybe damage itself with.

John

I did some small mammal trapping and camera trapping in my little nature reserve for National Mammal Week 25-31st October and recorded the following - Grey Squirrel, Rabbit, muntjac, pygmy and common shrew, bank vole, wood and yellow necked mice, badger, stoat, red fox, brown rat.

Attachments

• Yellow Necked Mouse.jpg
    Yellow Necked Mouse.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Bank Vole.jpg
    Bank Vole.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Common Shrew (2).jpg
    Common Shrew (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Pygmy Shrew (2).jpg
    Pygmy Shrew (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Wood Mouse.jpg
    Wood Mouse.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Stoat from my little nature reserve checking out the water vole raft, higher def vid available on my Flickr site

Mark

Attachments

• VD_00047.mp4
    2.6 MB
Some small mammal trapping at Fowlmere RSPB was all bank vole and wood mice apart from one harvest mouse, visual sightings of stoat, muntjac and brown hare of note

Mark

Attachments

• Harvest Mouse.JPG
    Harvest Mouse.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Bank Vole.JPG
    Bank Vole.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 1
  • Wood mouse.JPG
    Wood mouse.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
I wish to announce the engagement of Patch, two year old dog fox from Big Whitey and Rip, to Hoppity, vixen of this parish but unknown antecedents. I was privileged to take the engagement photo yesterday evening when the couple turned up for a chicken leg party.

Patch has been tracking Hoppity on and off since early autumn and may well have incurred at least two fairly serious injuries in the course of his wooing (hopefully from competitors and not his intended!) I've seen them hanging out a couple of times but then for long periods they've paid little attention to each other (plus Patch has routinely robbed Hoppity of chicken just as the other dog foxes do).

However, last night Patch was looking at a chicken leg when suddenly his head came up, he stared into the distance and then trotted off down the main drag. A minute or so later he returned with Hoppity and the pair stopped underneath the lamplight.... Hops sat down and Patch stood at her shoulder. I was at the door with a tray of chicken, so I bade them wait while I fetched my camera and to my delight found they were still in the same position on my return. I took a snap and I'll put it up once I've processed it. They then repositioned themselves for normal feeding (Smudge, Patch's brother, had already snaffled the drumstick he'd left behind.)

Hoppity fed quickly and left. I don't think Patch noticed her go, he concentrates completely when he's eating, especially now when his jaw is recovering from a recent fight. However, once he noticed she wasn't there, he immediately, right in front of me, let out a rrow-rrow-rrow contact call, which he repeated twice more before going to where she had fed and tracking her scent off through the archway. I've never had any of my foxes contact call another in front of me before.

Anyway, that's pretty much all the news. I've seen all the current foxes in the last few days so everybody is all right currently.

John

Camera trapping in my little reserve recently - common shrew, wood mouse, muntjac, badger, fox, hedgehog and in the photos weasel, brown rat, bank vole, polecat, water shrew.

Mark

Attachments

• Water Shrew (3).JPG
    Water Shrew (3).JPG
    680.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Polecat (2).JPG
    Polecat (2).JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Bank Vole (5).JPG
    Bank Vole (5).JPG
    661.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Brown Rat (2).JPG
    Brown Rat (2).JPG
    691.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Weasel (3).JPG
    Weasel (3).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Not much recently but some nice Garden mammals - Badger, hedgehog, muntjac and some local brown hares.

Mark

Attachments

• Hedgehog (2).JPG
    Hedgehog (2).JPG
    12.8 MB · Views: 2
  • s_Badger (8).jpg
    s_Badger (8).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • s_Badger and Muntjac.jpg
    s_Badger and Muntjac.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • s_Muntjac (4).jpg
    s_Muntjac (4).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • s_Z72_2204.jpg
    s_Z72_2204.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 4
Oh and this cheeky wood mouse worked out how to get to the peanut feeder in my little nature reserve.

Mark

Attachments

• 20211122_171653.JPG
    20211122_171653.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back