• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

the lighting on this is stunning (though we expect no less!) Looking forward to seeing the end product immensely.

I'm pleased to say that I've cast my vote for you Peter and may I wish you the best of luck! Your goose painting looks superb, especialy the light. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Peter, people often say that my photos look like paintings but I have to say that your painting, from the thumbnail looks like a photo, superb :t:

Peter, are these the Cackling Canadas?

I am just curious. I've only been here in OR for less than three months now and am completely in love with how many of these guys there are around here in the winter months. And they sound so different from the longer necked Canadas I am used to back east.

Oh, and the painting, is of course coming along nicely and lovely. It's that damn lighting again.

Thanks for the encouragement everybody...

Beth-
I love all the geese around here too! It's great to see the mixed flocks with all of the subspecies and the cacklers are among my favorites. They're call makes living through all this rain a bit more bearable ;) The geese in this painting are Western's though. The low light and higher contrast gives them a bit of a darker look like the cacklers especially the one on the right. The camera made that one a bit darker than it actually is in the painting.

Attachments

• canada geese3small.jpg
    canada geese3small.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 88
I don't know about cacklers but the painting is definately a cracker. I love that warm lighting effect.

Mike

beautiful, but slightly traumatic as the pose reminds me exactly of when I was four years old, having one of these trying to swallow my hand, ouch!

Another vote for you Peter. Good luck.
Nick, still struggling for space? I might be able to squeeze a few on my walls!!!!
H

I couldn't resist... his look is too priceless. It's not quite finished. He needs whiskers and such.

Attachments

• lab puppy.jpg
    lab puppy.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 85
I couldn't resist... his look is too priceless. It's not quite finished. He needs whiskers and such.

LOL someone looks as if he's getting a stern talking to - and trying his best to look appealing in the hope he'll be forgiven :-O

Lovely to see your work again Peter - I adore the Canada's - my favorite sp of geese - now if I were rich ...;) Just voted for you btw.

Last edited:
That guy looks like our big guy, except ours is some kind of mix so his ears are a bit shorter. But that look is exact, either a 'stern talking to' as Deborah put it, or in deep thought, it is the same look.

What is the difference between Western and Eastern Canadas?

Hi All,

Very impressed (and pretty intimidated) by the quality on show here. I thought I'd add one of mine - please be brutally honest. Admittedly it's sadly drawn from photos rather than field sketches!

Attachments

• smallRubythroat.jpg
    smallRubythroat.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 105
Hi All,

Very impressed (and pretty intimidated) by the quality on show here. I thought I'd add one of mine - please be brutally honest. Admittedly it's sadly drawn from photos rather than field sketches!

Hey Mitch. Didnt know you could draw. It really good mate. Just one thing though, if i may. The background around the bird could do with being a tad darker, just to 'bring out' the bird more. It might just be the reproduction on screen though. You getting down this way at all this year?

nice! love the fact the only bit of colour is the ruby throat. And as you asked for brutally honest, practice legs more (I purposefully manage to keep them out of most of my paintings, but I recently painted a dunnock with rickets). Have a look at this diagram, it's helpful to think about where the legs stem from and where the knees are, next time you see a frozen chicken have a good look at its legs (and recoil in horror as you realise they're stuffed into its neck!). But a really nice drawing, and I look forward to seeing more!

Attachments

• bird legs.JPG
    bird legs.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 67
Very impressed (and pretty intimidated) by the quality on show here.

No need to feel that way at all Simon - if this is an indication of the quality of your own work - post away - let us enjoy more of your talent.

Very nice. Keep it coming!

Cheers :)
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back