• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew - I can't believe I didn't comment on these when I first saw them. The crab plover is superb - drawing that mangling-mandible-tackle must have been fun. Well done on the 2 ticks.
Peter - once again a wonderfully evocative scene, amazing technique (I think we ought to have a Masterclass WIP from you before too long!!)

First time I've posted anything in a year and is completely different to anything I've put up before. It's from photo's and using a marker pen over a pencil sketch.

Attachments

• avocet1.jpg
    avocet1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 47
This seems like its the right thread for my work too, sorry i found it after i made a separate thread but i do have a few new paintings anyway that i would like to show :)

First is watercolour and ink on paper, second oil on canvas 24x30cm

Maria

Attachments

• birddys.JPG
    birddys.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 37
  • lillblue2s.JPG
    lillblue2s.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 40
Very good drawing Paul - it would translate into a print medium quite nicely. Keep 'e coming.
Love these two Maria; the first has a lovely softness to it and the oil is very alive and vibrant.
Great stuff.

Tim's said it all.

Paul, the strong graphic quality of this is fantastic, avocets are great as they are recogniseable as mere abstract shapes - endless possibilities.

Maria, the second one in particular is an inspiration, the bird and the negative space around it create action and balance. Plus the colours are gorgeous.

Good strong drawings Paul. Tim's already suggested print, I'd say get yourself some lino print kit and have a go.

I'm enjoying the energy in your paint Maria, great stuff that makes me want to start throwing some oils about.

Mike

First time I've posted anything in a year and is completely different to anything I've put up before. It's from photo's and using a marker pen over a pencil sketch.

You could almost have that one as a tattoo! Might go get a pair of Avocets etched into my shoulder...:t:

Welcome to Birdforum Maria, I like your paintings and look forward to seeing some more.

Last edited:
Thank you all !
Oils are my favourite technique because i can create different textures which with acryls for example is not really possible, so if anyone has any questions about oils i can gladly help :)

Maria

a watercolour and ink drawing inspired from a pic i saw arround here, i hope the owner doesnt mind
size 14x15cm

Maria

Attachments

• duckss.JPG
    duckss.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the kind words on the thread that Tim started! Hopefully, I'll be able to visit a bit more often. Here is a recent desert southwest painting of a gambel's quail and some pancake pear cactus.

Attachments

• gambels quailsw.jpg
    gambels quailsw.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 65
This is superb Peter - terrific intricate design and a clever choice of textures.
Good to see more from you and well done on the Award - very well deserved.

Peter - that quail takes me back to my Ariziona trips.

Good to see a couple of new folk on here too - I'm never brave enough to be as minimalist as Maria and the I echo the comments on the graphic appeal of the avocets - though only useful as a tattoo if you're joining the paramilitary wing of the RSPB!

Anyway, couldn't resist posting a couple of sketches of what was probably a poorly adult ivory gull that was on North Uist the other week - they're a bit samey as it wasn't keen on going anywhere from it's favoured sheltered garden!!

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• Ivory2_1.jpg
    Ivory2_1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Ivory1_1.jpg
    Ivory1_1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back