• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just joined and want advice. (1 Viewer)

Hello, my name is Walter. I live in the Crystal River area of Florida, USA. A great birding area all year long. I have a very unique boat that allows me to get into the very back of backwaters. Roseate Spoonbills, all manner of herons, shorebirds, water birds and raptors are common sights. In the mangroves there are always warblers. It’s a cool thing.

I am a charter fishing captain but would rather do birding tours. Does anyone have any advice and would this kind of situation appeal to birders across the USA and the world? Crystal River already is a destination to swim with manatee (I do those tours too).
Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Walter and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Information Wanted forum as I think it will attract wider attention there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello, my name is Walter. I live in the Crystal River area of Florida, USA. A great birding area all year long. I have a very unique boat that allows me to get into the very back of backwaters. Roseate Spoonbills, all manner of herons, shorebirds, water birds and raptors are common sights. In the mangroves there are always warblers. It’s a cool thing.

I am a charter fishing captain but would rather do birding tours. Does anyone have any advice and would this kind of situation appeal to birders across the USA and the world? Crystal River already is a destination to swim with manatee (I do those tours too).
Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
This sounds pretty cool... I think that if you take some time to get a good camera, and make some pretty videos and stick them on youtube, you could gain a pretty large following. Especially if these things go viral, which they have done. If your passion carries across, all your videos are of good quality and interesting, and you upload regularly, I honestly think that it might yield better results than normal advertising, etc.

Florida is exotic enough bird-wise I imagine you could get decent interest. The big thing is getting yourself out there and getting started. Talking to local birding groups sounds like a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back