• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvvie-Jackdaw,Rook,Crow ?.-or plumage probs (2 Viewers)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Spotted this youngster on a roof.We do have lots of Rooks and Jackdaws around,but are these juvenile feathers,or does this guy have some problems.
Many thanks,
Christine

Attachments

• 2cnd-June-207a.jpg
    2cnd-June-207a.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 2cnd-June-212a.jpg
    2cnd-June-212a.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 79
Looks like a hooded crow to me - we get lots up here in Shetland. Nothing wrong with it's plumage. Doesn't look like a juvenile - but someone might correct me there!

Appears to be a Hybrid Crow (Carrion x Hooded Crow). Looks to have a bit too much black for a pure Hooded Crow.

Sorry Andrew. Not picking you up on any points!

But why too much black? Am interested in learning about hybrid CC X HC that's all.

Most of my experience of HC has been in Poland. Maybe Scottish Hoodies are a bit different? I still have not seen one in UK! :eek!:

ATB

phil b

Sorry Andrew. Not picking you up on any points!

But why too much black? Am interested in learning about hybrid CC X HC that's all.

Most of my experience of HC has been in Poland. Maybe Scottish Hoodies are a bit different? I still have not seen one in UK! :eek!:

ATB

phil b

I perhaps err on the side of caution as I live somewhere where Hybrid Crows are quite common. They often look a lot like Hooded Crows but tend to show slightly more black or the grey is a bit darker than a Hoodie. This bird shows black flecking in the grey of the underparts which might be signs of hybridisation. I'd quite like to see a shot showing the upperparts. So really I'm just being cautious, what with this being out of the normal range of Hooded Crow. Around here I'd generally suspect a bird like this has some mixed ancestry.

Here is a photo of 2 pure Hoddies i took in Oban last week looks pretty much the same to me but you can make your own mind up.

Attachments

• tn_191.JPG
    tn_191.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 75
Christine's bird does look like quite a lot like a Hooded Crow from what can be seen, and if you want you can call it a 'Hooded Crow' but, as I say, it does show some suggestion of hybridity and with an out of range bird that's perhaps more likely. In northeast Scotland I see a lot of 'Hooded Hybrid Crows' but not many Hooded Crows.

I think the black edges on the flanks probably rules out a totally pure hoodie. Also, I get quite a brownish hint to the grey of a real hoodie...(don't pick me up on that...I can't really describe it any other way!) that I'm not getting from this bird.

Having had a closer look I think most probably it isnt quite 100% pure Hooded Crow but its extremely close,if it was the only one I'd seen i think i'd be ticking it.

Anyway... it's basically a hoodie - but what's it doing in Cumbria (if that's where it is) in June (if that's when it is)?

Hooded Crows are everywhere here in Ireland, replacing the Carrion. In my opinion, it just looks like an ordinary Hooded to me. I see them every day. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 2010_12_25_1761 LR E copy.jpg
    2010_12_25_1761 LR E copy.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Yes, I read with interest all your comments.
I can echo what John Foss says - Hooded crows are everywhere here in Shetland too and it looks just like the ones here.

Thanks all,did not know that there were all these other comments,so,is the genereral consensus that it is a "Hoodie"?.Have not seen it since.but we are now living in a farming area,and there are masses of Rooks etc,

Andrew may well be correct though if I saw this bird in Stockholm I wouldn't look twice and there are no hybrids here. I've certainly seen more obvious hybrids in Helensburgh, Scotland, where my dad lives.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back