• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenko PRO 300 AF 1.4x Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

I have used a converter (Canon and Kenko Pro) with pins taped and the 400mm f5.6 on the 350D, 30D and 40D all with different results.
On the 350D it would focus but not very well.
On the 30D it works very well indeed.
With the 40D it does not work very well when using the centre point only but works fine when using any other focus point.

It does'nt take much to confuse me Roy! (But you have)!!

Sorry to ask - but which TC did you use to do your test with?.......The Canon, the Kenko or did you use both and got the same results with all three cameras?

I'm looking at purchasing the 40D with 100 - 400mm and a 1.4 TC. If the TC won't AF with either brand then I may as well get the Kenko and save £80. If the TC will do the 'taping trick' with one brand but not the other then I will obviously get the brand that will work (albeit rather temperamentally as some members have remarked on).:h?:

It does'nt take much to confuse me Roy! (But you have)!!

Sorry to ask - but which TC did you use to do your test with?.......The Canon, the Kenko or did you use both and got the same results with all three cameras?

I'm looking at purchasing the 40D with 100 - 400mm and a 1.4 TC. If the TC won't AF with either brand then I may as well get the Kenko and save £80. If the TC will do the 'taping trick' with one brand but not the other then I will obviously get the brand that will work (albeit rather temperamentally as some members have remarked on).:h?:
Ian, I have tried with the Canon on all three Cameras and also the Kenko Pro on all three Cameras. With the 40D, using the Centre focus point only with a taped TC is a non starter for me (Canon or Kenko) But switching the focus point to any point other than the centre one and it works ok. I am using the 400mm f5.6 prime lens so I cannot say if it is the same with the 100-400 although from what I have read, it is just the same. When I was referring to different results. this was more to do with the Camera and not the tc as both tc's react similar in my experience.

Last edited:
I have similar experience as RoyC. 40D +400mm f5.6 and Kenko pro 1.4 and kenko 1.5X (no need of taping on this one). The center focus point seem to be too sensitive and tend to hunt more than the peripherial one, it can lock but it's very frustating and during this time the bird are gone. I finaly take off the tape and use the lens in manual focus. On the 30D both converters where slow and hunt sometime but give a good result.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back