• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenko Pro v Canon converter test Results (1 Viewer)

sorry to sound stupid but why wont a camera af past f8?

As the aperture of the lens gets smaller (bigger f number) the light getting to the sensor is less... less light means slower and less acurate AF. So camera manufacturers will limit the system so it will not even attempt to AF if the max aperture is smaller than f5.6... using the taped pins trick you can fool a camera into thinking it's using an f5.6 lens when it's effectively using an f8 set up... above that and a standard body will struggle. Using my lenses and tcs (with pins taped) I've shown that my 400D will actually AF perfectly at f6.3, fairly well upto f8, but at f9 it is hopeless.

thanks very much postcardcv. I assume the aperture af thing is the same on all enthusiast dslr's, its just canon camera's actually wont let you, rather than letting you try, and failing ( if you know what i mean). Mike from ebbw has had some very good results with a tc, however i dont think i will be getting one yet - but i should be getting my new gear very soon!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back