• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya - Masai Mara (2 Viewers)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
I can't find my African field guide since the move, I could use some help with this raptor.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.20.25 PM.png

I only have Fork-tailed on my list, but I think this might be a Square-tailed Drongo.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.32.33 PM.png

Um... my first thought was a Longclaw sp. but I see no hint of a collar. Some sort of Pipit, maybe?

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.27.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.27.27 PM.png

Little Brown Job. Cisticola?

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.24.00 PM.png

Violet-backed Starling?

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.39.21 PM.png

according to my field guide, black-backed is a rarity in Kenya?
It’s a relatively delicate, streak backed, streak crowned species which should rule a lot out. Maybe zitting?
James

according to my field guide, black-backed is a rarity in Kenya?
It’s a relatively delicate, streak backed, streak crowned species which should rule a lot out. Maybe zitting?
James
It is zitting as it's got pale tail tips: black-backed is the confusion species. It's definitely at the mara, one of its hot spots (saw it there); apart from the tail tips there's little difference. The zitting I saw there were less heavily marked than this

Edit: (for anyone following this thread.) Actually black-backed has pale tail tips too. Afaics, these aren't as extensive and are sometimes invisible. Fanshawe says it has a rufous hind neck but photos show this is not always obvious. A rufous rump is a more reliable character and this can spill over to the vent area (but rump is invisible here). Zitting may have slightly wider buff feather margins and has a less dark appearance. I think the combination of obvious pale tail tips, not clearly rufous hind neck and scrappy dark centred feathers which don't give a strongly dark-backed impression make this zitting

Last edited:
Cisticola could be a Pectoral-patch. Any other pics? Even poor ones?
Here's what I have. I often did not get as many pictures from multiple angles like I would prefer because there were always five or six or eighteen other birds I was trying to get at least one bad picture of.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 2.41.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 2.41.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 2.44.38 PM.png

I would wait and see if you get confirmation here. It’s a difficult ID.
Have you checked eBird for Melodious Lark? (Mara lark is just an informal name).
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back