• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kites in upstate south carolina (2 Viewers)

mbab

United States
Is it possible I saw a Mississippi Kite soaring above my house in Upstate S. Carolina? They had no markings underneath. Very "soft" looking. The tail was wedge shaped, not long and narrow or forked. I've been birding a long time and have never seen a bird like this.

grey/muted Buffy. I watched for about 15 minutes and saw them in good light. they colors were very soft with no markings

Should be possible- ebird has quite a few reports of them in South Carolina. A local will give you more accurate information though.

Did you notice anything about the head shape or wing shape? Without those, a plain pale bird might be anything from a gull to a northern harrier (with sun overhead, you might not notice dark wingtips) to a pale red-tailed hawk (red not always evident from underneath, belly band is sometimes vanishingly small). If you're confident it was kite-shaped, then yeah, it's probably a Mississippi kite.

Thank you to all replying. Definitely kite shaped and upon further investigation I'm pretty confident that's what I saw. The pictures on iNaturalist helped a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back