• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 - best arca swiss plate? (1 Viewer)

Yea, the safety screws prevent the plate from sliding into the VA-5 clamp. If you remove the screws it works fine.

I ended up getting the Kirk adapter and clamp (Universal Quick Release Adapter with Quick Release Clamp-use to convert to arca-swiss | Kirk Photo) and I installed it on the plate that is supplied with the Sirui VA-5 fluid head. It works well. Adds a little size and a little weight to the "light weight" tripod set up. But not too bad. Now the scope and plate, with screw safety stops, pops right on both rigs. I'm happy. The VA-5 head works well once you get a solid clamp affair like this sorted out.

It has been a long thread, but in the end I have it all worked out and the 883 scope is very solid on both tripods. Zero twisting. No concern about the scope hitting the pavement. Both heads are nice and smooth. Life is good. Thanks everyone.

Rob G.

I have a gimbal head mounted on a tripod, and a camera lens with a foot that fits nicely into the arca-swiss clamp on the gimbal. Now I want to fit my Kowa 773 scope into that arca-swiss clamp., and use the scope on the gimbal like a camera with a long lens. I was using a Manfrotto tripod with a Manfrotto fluid head, but it meant having to cart around 2 tripods, one with the scope and the other with the camera. The various arca-swiss plates I have don't have the little button that pushes into the small hole in the front of the plate on the scope to stop it twisting, so it twists on the gimbal. Does anyone know of an arca-swiss plate that has that little button attached, or is in some-way anti-twist?

I suggest that you find a compatible arca swiss plate that is constructed with a lip that will snug up against one end or side of the foot on your scope. My experience is that this design is a lot better than a plate with a button. A LOT better. None of the plates with buttons I have used have prevented twisting and loosening of connection between plate and scope foot. If you scroll through this thread you will see references and links to a number of different plates with a lip that work well. I ended up with Kirk, but there are others that work fine. Some quite a bit less expensive. Trust me, go with the lip, not the button. :) I learned this right here in this thread. Mine is working perfectly. 100% secure.

John, what arca swiss plate will work well with the 883 foot without modifications?

Rob.
It's not the fault of the scope it's the connection these anti-rotation pins are about as good as my auntie Sally and she snuffed it years ago but you could try and find a plate with a long slot fix the scope then get a small bolt and a half lock nut and tighten it snug up to your scope foot obviously the bolt needs to be the right length but that should not be too hard too achieve its the only solution I can find these people who make these plates don't care once you have it and they have your dosh this has been going on for years.

It's not the fault of the scope it's the connection these anti-rotation pins are about as good as my auntie Sally and she snuffed it years ago but you could try and find a plate with a long slot fix the scope then get a small bolt and a half lock nut and tighten it snug up to your scope foot obviously the bolt needs to be the right length but that should not be too hard too achieve its the only solution I can find these people who make these plates don't care once you have it and they have your dosh this has been going on for years.
You may look here Kowa 883 - best arca swiss plate? for my solution utilising the anti rotation pin on the plate:

I ended up solving this rotation problem using a Kirk arca swiss plate that includes a small lip that is attached to the plate and holds that Kowa foot solid. Zero rotation.

Can't recall right now. But, if you go to their website you will see a variety of arca swiss plates, some are described as "universal". The plate I used for this application is one of those. It has a "lip" that is movable along the plate. They come in different lengths. I'm guessing mine is maybe 3-4 inches long. You can see a picture of the plate at my currently active listing in the classified or for sale section of this forum. Here is a link. https://www.birdforum.net/threads/kowa-883-spotting-scope-with-extras.427729/

Can't recall right now. But, if you go to their website you will see a variety of arca swiss plates, some are described as "universal". The plate I used for this application is one of those. It has a "lip" that is movable along the plate. They come in different lengths. I'm guessing mine is maybe 3-4 inches long. You can see a picture of the plate at my currently active listing in the classified or for sale section of this forum. Here is a link. https://www.birdforum.net/threads/kowa-883-spotting-scope-with-extras.427729/
Thanks.

Well it's no doubt another cardinal sin but I think I have solved my problem by drilling the anti rotation hole in my limited edition 883 to 6mm tapping it with a tungsten tap removing the anti rotation pin from a Sirui plate and using an m6 bolt of the right length in its place .I want to look at birds not mess about with my gear when I am out.... none of the changes made show when out but the movement has stopped completely whether these will come loose over time remains to be seen if anyone else is tempted to sin please take great care the gods may make a pre emptive strike .

Guys, there is an off the shelf solution that works perfectly available at Kirk. There is zero need to drill holes.

Guys, there is an off the shelf solution that works perfectly available at Kirk. There is zero need to drill holes.
The hole was already there and how much ?
I don't need a lip that is movable as these things seem to move at will as for springs no Thank you I do no really rate Sirui but will persevere until something better turns up.

Last edited:
I have the sirui plate that came with my Sirui VH10x fluid head attached to the foot on my Kowa 883. The plate loosens from the foot, and it rotates on the foot. It is annoying because I like to use the scope itself as the arm to pan and tilt on the Sirui VH10x fluid head I am using, rather than the supplied video arm.
Sorry to go back to the beginning of this thread.
I use two Sirui VP-VH10 plates that are screwed to two scopes (Delta Optical Titanium 65ED II and Meopta Meostar S2 82HD) I have never had a problem loosening a screw. I travel a lot with a tripod and a telescope on my shoulder.

One solution was Swarovski shaping their scope feet to fit into the Manfrotto 128RC head without a plate. Meopta did the same with the MeoStar S2.
Did I understand correctly that the Meopta S2 spotting scope's foot fits the Manfrotto 128RC head without using a plate?

I use two Sirui VP-VH10 plates that are screwed to two scopes (Delta Optical Titanium 65ED II and Meopta Meostar S2 82HD) I have never had a problem loosening a screw. I travel a lot with a tripod and a telescope on my shoulder.

Did I understand correctly that the Meopta S2 spotting scope's foot fits the Manfrotto 128RC head without using a plate?
Well that's good news mine was rocking on the plate with the slightest touch to the eyepiece (See saw) it's not now.Possibly quality control in China is bit hit and miss?

Last edited:
Well that's good news mine was rocking on the plate with the slightest touch to the eyepiece (See saw) it's not now.Possibly quality control in China is bit hit and miss?
Only now do I remember that I had such a problem with attaching the plate to the Meopta S2. For me, the screw in the plate is a bit too long. I made a washer from a bicycle inner tube. I forgot about it because I cut it exactly in the shape of the foot and you can't see it at all.

I had the same issue with my Swarovski ATX attached to the plate on the Sirui VH10X. I have stopped the rotation by doing the following:
The bought a longer plate from Sirui with the same width as the one that is standard and comes with the VH10X. The plate is screwed onto the tripod foot of the telescope. To prevent twisting, I use the anti rotation pin in the little hole on the tripod foot. To make it even more stable I use a second screw with a nut that tightens onto the front of the tripod foot, positioned so tightly into the tripod foot that it can't budge without an extreme amount of force. This setup is rock solid, and I can use the VH10X without the annoyingly long arm.....
SW

Yes.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back