• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD II XD 10x42 First Impressions then birder Review (3 Viewers)

Maximox

Seeing as there's not many reviews of these binoculars from a birders point of view I thought I'd post one. It'll have to be a first impressions first before the review as I've only just opened them after finishing work at 8pm and I'll be stuck in work for another 12 hours tomorrow before being able to test them on the weekend.

A bit of a back story to my optics use leaving out cameras and lenses as I use to do wildlife photography. for a long time I was using Hawke frontier 10x36 ED, then moved to Bushnell forge 10x42 but these had to be returned due to the loop that was part of the barrel that holds the eye cups on breaking after a month. They were heavy but optically quite sharp though not too wide a view compared to what I had. I then got Hawke ED X 10x42, nice quality low weight bins but everything was quite loose on them. the eye cups, focus, the hinge. they also needed a large diopter adjustment to get them to be right. I wear glasses but usually only need a hair of a adjustment, my girlfriend who doesn't wear glasses also needed to adjust these a lot for a sharp view. optically there decently sharp though Im wondering if they might need to be sent back for adjustment. View is fairly wide and CA is well controlled. My girlfriend now has these and I decided to move up to Swarovski EL 8.5X42. FP. A big step up but I felt the need for better to see what Alpha bins can give you especially for those wearing glasses as I noticed a lot of white out with the ED X and the other Hawke's.
A high quality binocular with a stunning wide view, no CA that I can and fantastic build quality. Only downside being the weight and the slight lack of range though I made the conscious choice to go for the 8.5x over the 10's as I felt they didn't seem too far from the 10x's of the past but also I didn't get as much shake as I did with the 10x EL's which have the same 800+grams to contend with. Due to various reasons including financial I've decided to try the much cheaper Kowa BD X bins in the hope they are still up there in quality but obviously saving me a lot in money with the potential to purchase a pair of NL Pure's in the future. Possibly the 12X as having tried them I was very impressed at the view and how steady they are. I also moved up from a Hawke Nature Trek scope to a Kowa 773 which I love the quality, so Im hoping these bins love up to Kowa reputation.

First Impressions
The box they come in feels nice and it's simple in design like the one my Scope came in but not quite that quality. The included case isn't too bad, it's not something I would use but a carrying strap would have been nice for others who like to use them to protect the bins when carried around.
The binoculars themselves feel really nice enough in the hand. light weight but pretty nicely constructed with a grippy rubber body and decent eye cover and cups. The feel of the focus ring is very smooth, with the right tension not too loose or tight to turn. In fact almost as smooth if not slightly better feeling than the EL's. The eye cups felt really tight to twist up. Tighter than any bins I've used in the past which to me is a plus. I have them kept twisted down for wearing glasses, so it's nice not to have them loose as Im not a fan of when they twist up unexpectedly perhaps when storing away and you wonder for a moment why they don't feel right. If you don't wear glasses it's a good plus too as setting them to the right position should be something you can do and not have to worry about them moving. The EL's feel quite loose though again I use them down, I just wonder if they might move over time if they are twisted up.
Now to the only fault with build I've found. The strap. Sadly the end of the strap which is usually sealed with plastic to it doesn't come apart has not been done properly and the end frayed when threading it through the eyelet which I had to do twice as I forgot to put on the eye covers on. It's a shame that this has happened but I've emailed Kowa to see if I can get a replacement. Besides the issue the stray feels quite comfortable. The one thing I did find odd was the placement of the eyelets for the strap on the bins which is lower down the barrel compared to what I've had with every binocular in the past so they sit quite differently on the chest when worn. It might not be a bad thing but thats something I'll have to check with some real world use.

I've only took a quick look through them in the house but what I did look at seemed sharp and free from any obvious CA. But thats my first impressions. I'll be posting a review after the weekend. So stay tuned.

Nice little initial impressions review. Funnily enough I also have a pair of Kowa BD II XD in 8x42 and some Swaro EL 8.5x42 as well.

In comparison my eyes really enjoy the Swaro’s more BUT the Kowa’s really are good. I wear glasses and eye relief is sufficient for me. I can get a full site picture pretty easily. I’m pretty impressed with the build quality overall. I definitely agree with the eye cups! They feel very sturdy. They click really tightly but not overly so. Snug would be the word. I like the armoring. Big advantage is the weight. They are significantly lighter and smaller than the Swaro’s and are just really nice to hold. Also the focus wheel feels premium, it’s like a knurled metallic feel and it’s smooth.

As for the view, I find the center sweet spot to be really nice and sharp. However, I can definitely see some edge softness at around 75% from the edge. It falls off pretty quickly and definitely gets muddy by the edge. But admittedly I’m comparing them to a $2,100 alpha tier which has flat field edge to edge sharpness. Anyway, CA also increases the closer to the edge you get but it’s fairly well controlled in the sweet spot. I actually liked these more than the Monarch 7s I had. Brightness is also pretty darn good. Depth of field is definitely not as good as the EL’s. It’s noticeably more shallow. Just barely gotta turn the focus wheel to make big swings.

Overall though I highly recommend them as a solid mid-tier bino!

Sorry Im a bit late to getting around to writing the review but I felt Like the bins needed a good test and also the weather and various other things have limited my time out with the bins. Anyway on to the review

Full Review
First outing with the BD II XD 10x42's was a grey day on Anglesea to look for Curlew Sandpiper, and Little Stint. Grabbing the bins and pointing them at a low flying buzzard over the car park we were in showed a lot of Blue and Green CA and a little purple. I was quite surprised how bad it looked to my eyes. I found it hard to get best the CA issue and was close to sending them back. Though I was torn as the Sharpness is very nice, very close to the Swarovski EL's in my opinion. However it suddenly occurred to me that I was so use to using the EL's that I wasn't considering how the centre of the BD's might be better for CA than the rest of the frame. Im so use to Viewing all round the frame in the wide EL 8.5's that my eyes aren't as use to looking dead centre. Having tired the BD's again looking centrally they are much better for CA and in most circumstances you might struggle to see it on branches but it's still typically obvious on man made objects and birds against a white sky.

The next day from these impressions I decided to pop into a camera shop and ended up trying a few different bins, my interest was especially on the Hawke Frontier APO as they were on offer that weekend at a well known online camera shop with over £90 discount putting them a lot closer to the BD II's. I found the APO's to be very good for CA showing almost none, however the image was just not as sharp and showed a hazy roll off when you looked towards out of focus areas. The build was much better than the ED X pair that we have but not a great step up in all fairness. I also Tried the Zeiss Terra ED 10x32 and 10x42. I found little difference in the brightness of the optics in the middle of the day or the FOV. I found them to have a really nice pop (3D effect) but also suffered from a decent amount of CA. A little more purple and roughly to the same level as the Kowa's Blue/Green CA. The only other pair I tried was the Swarovski CL companion 10x30's. A lovely sharp image was viewable through them but still quite a lot of purple CA was visible. Seeing as there built to a price and size I can see how there's going to be some CA but for the price Im not sure they would be my first choice. The testing was a little off for birding as I was stressing them looking at a lot of buildings and other metal objects you get in a city but it's a good test if noting else.

After all this testing I decided that Keeping the Kowa for now made sense as the pro's outweighed the cons of other bins around the same price.

Im happy with the sharpness and pop of the bins. The build quality is really good and the handling is great. the low weight helps to keep a steady view and lower neck strain over the EL's which are a little weighty. The biggest plus besides the sharp view is the wide field of view. Im quite impressed by just how wide they are for a none alpha bin and also find with wearing glasses they are easy to get right first time putting them up to view. With the EL's I can often get blackout before finding the right spot to hold them in but with the BD II's there's no issue.

Conclusion

The Kowa BD II XD 10x42 offer a great field of view, nice build quality, low weight and a sharp image. On the negatives is that Chromatic Aberration which might put some people off so I would suggest trying them first before buying as it might not be what you're looking for.

I'll also say on the strap issue after emailing Kowa I've now been sent a replacement strap free of charge. So customer service is spot on. If you have any questions about these bins please feel free to ask and I'll reply as best I can.

Lovely review, thanks!
I purchased the BD II XD 8x32 a few weeks back and had the exact same issue with my strap. After reading your last comment I contacted support last night and within 10 hours they replied that they had sent a new strap to me, free of charge. So I can also vouch for good customer support.

I just had to send back a pair of BD II 10x42 due to the CA. I couldn't live with it and became a major distraction. I went back to my SV II 10x50 and immediately felt the comfort and sharpness return to my viewing pleasure. Such a disappointed as i viewed the BD II as an upgrade but not for my peepers they werent. Def recommend trying before buying.

Has anyone done any comparisons between the BD II 8x42 and 10x42? I understand the 10x42 has an impressive 7.2 degrees FOV which whilst not as wide as the 8.2 degrees offered by the BD II 8x42, it is impressive compared to other mid range competitors and I was curious if it felt a little more immersive and less restrictive than the tunnel like vision offered by some other 10x powered binoculars I have tried. I am also curious as to how their twilight factors compare?

A Kowa BDII42-10XD has been my secondary pair to a Swarovski NL Pure 10x42 for a couple of years now. I use the Kowa as a layabout at home for quick views out a window, on trips where I might have concern about the NL Pure, and for walks where a pair for a walking partner is useful.

The Kowa has very good images in the center of the view but goes poor by 66% radially out from center. For me, that outer third does not provide image quality that I linger on. However, that outer third does help getting on a bird , and with a x10 bino getting on a bird is harder if the FOV is less than a x7 or x8 bino. Most of the time I linger on a bird at the center of the view. The FOV is wide and helpful, but the pleasurable FOV is about 2/3 of the full FOV. In comparison, the NL Pure has nearly the entire FOV with very good images.

For weight, the Kowa is 25% lighter than the NL Pure. I use only a neckstrap for the Kowa. For the NL Pure I use only a harness since the NL Pure weight becomes irritating on long hikes if using the neckstrap. I prefer the NL Pure greater weight for image stability compared to the Kowa. Inertia does have its benefits. I also use the forehead rest on the NL Pure to get three-point grounding, especially useful when I wear glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back