• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD II XD 8x42 - Focus Wheel Problem? (1 Viewer)

Gdavis248

United States
Hey all,

I recently received a pair of these but before I mention my issue, I just want to say that overall I really really like these bins!! Views are bright and super crisp and I've really been pleasantly surprised with them over the last couple days of backyard birding. However, I have one small issue and I'm just trying to decide if I'm being too "perfectionist" or "nit picky".

My focus wheels has a bit of a 'click' or 'pop' to it? Its a soft noise, basically muffled from deep inside the focus wheel but when I have them up against my face I can definitely hear it. But honestly, the focus wheel seems to function fine. Focus seems very close and snappy, overall fairly smooth...its just this little popping noise.

I just want a second opinion on whether ya'll think it's a non-issue, or this could turn into something more down the road and I should just go ahead and return/exchange them (its just such a hassle these days). I'm only hesitant b/c online returns are annoying and then you always run the risk of getting an even worse pair! Whereas mine seem to function well despite the noise.

Anyway, thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I returned mine because of the focus movement/engagement where tubes were not focusing in tandem (twice), this issue (focus design/build) seems to be the problem with this series. Kowa service is very good and they will replace with a new one, not sure but these are likely not repaired but replaced - then again these are glass made on an economical budget.
The world these days.

I returned mine because of the focus movement/engagement where tubes were not focusing in tandem (twice), this issue (focus design/build) seems to be the problem with this series. Kowa service is very good and they will replace with a new one, not sure but these are likely not repaired but replaced - then again these are glass made on an economical budget.
The world these days.
Well, that is unfortunate. I have actually decided to purchase a second pair to compare to this one in hopes it is in better working order. It’s a gamble but thought I’d give it a shot. I’ll try let y’all know how it goes!

Hey all,

I recently received a pair of these but before I mention my issue, I just want to say that overall I really really like these bins!! Views are bright and super crisp and I've really been pleasantly surprised with them over the last couple days of backyard birding. However, I have one small issue and I'm just trying to decide if I'm being too "perfectionist" or "nit picky".

My focus wheels has a bit of a 'click' or 'pop' to it? Its a soft noise, basically muffled from deep inside the focus wheel but when I have them up against my face I can definitely hear it. But honestly, the focus wheel seems to function fine. Focus seems very close and snappy, overall fairly smooth...its just this little popping noise.

I just want a second opinion on whether ya'll think it's a non-issue, or this could turn into something more down the road and I should just go ahead and return/exchange them (its just such a hassle these days). I'm only hesitant b/c online returns are annoying and then you always run the risk of getting an even worse pair! Whereas mine seem to function well despite the noise.

Anyway, thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Could be something as simple as the focusing lens 'breaking free' from an accumulation of grease and so making a soft pop noise. You could try rotating the focus wheel from one extreme to the other a few times to spread the grease out.

Good luck with this, I have the 6.5x version and it works just fine.

Lee

Could be something as simple as the focusing lens 'breaking free' from an accumulation of grease and so making a soft pop noise. You could try rotating the focus wheel from one extreme to the other a few times to spread the grease out.

Good luck with this, I have the 6.5x version and it works just fine.

Lee
That was my initial thought as well or something similar. But I’ve gently rotated it to either stop point back and forth several times. Still continues to make the noise. I have another pair on the way so we’ll see if I can get a better one.

UPDATE

I received another pair of BD II’s and am happy to report the focus wheel feels much better. Makes no noise, feels very smooth, focus very evenly. I think I’ll keep these pair!

I’ve been comparing them back to back with some Nikon Monarch 7’s and although they are extremely similar, my eyes seems to like the Kowa’s just a little bit more. Main thing is I’m a glasses wearer and the eye relief is ever so slightly better on the Kowa. I don’t have to push them as close to my glasses in order to get a full sight picture, which is nice. Then I feel like the Kowas are ever so slightly brighter and sharper in the sweet spot. Finally, the Kowas are lighter and I can hold them just a little bit longer.

The Nikon Monarch 7 is really great though, I actually like the rubber armoring a lot and they have a really nice feel in the hand. A non glasses wearer might not notice much of a difference since eye relief isn’t as important.

Finally, my wife who is a completely non biased non Bino nerd who just likes looking at birds from time to time said she preferred the Kowa!

Hello,

I had the same problem with my brand new Kowa BD II 8x42 XD. A clicking or popping noise like on a vinyl record along with a little play in the focusing wheel.
I wrote an email to Kowa (Germany) and a technician called me. He explained that this is in fact normal for this series of binoculars. They had to build in a little play on the focusing wheel so it runs smooth in all temperatures. I really can't go in depth here because I'm not an expert at all but just wanted to inform anyone who stumbles across this thread with the same concern that this is nothing to worry about.

So for anyone who will be annoyed by this focusing design this is probably not the right glass.
I've had mine for over a week now and so far I don't mind it. As long as I'm not 'window birding' standing inside my house I can't hear the sound anymore.

Last edited:
Hello,

I had the same problem with my brand new Kowa BD II 8x42 XD. A clicking or popping noise like on a vinyl record along with a little play in the focusing wheel.
I wrote an email to Kowa (Germany) and a technician called me. He explained that this is in fact normal for this series of binoculars. They had to build in a little play on the focusing wheel so it runs smooth in all temperatures. I really can't go in depth here because I'm not an expert at all but just wanted to inform anyone who stumbles across this thread with the same concern that this is nothing to worry about.

So for anyone who will be annoyed by this focusing design this is probably not the right glass.
I've had mine for over a week now and so far I don't mind it. As long as I'm not 'window birding' standing inside my house I can't hear the sound anymore.
Glad to hear that from the factory! I could tell that my bins seemed to work just fine even with the slight hitch/noise but I returned them out of an abundance of caution. Really not trying to steer people away from these bins because for all intents and purposes they work great!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back