• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica help (2 Viewers)

trkyshootr

United States
Hi, I'm new to this forum which I found while researching binoculars. I have no place local to handle Leicas, and I am trying to decide between 10x42 Noctivid and Ultravid HD Plus binoculars. I see that both use the same glass, so is there any difference in their optical quality? I am coming from a pair of Pentax DCF SP 10x43s with which I've been very pleased over the years. They are light and handy, and the optical quality is pleasing to me. What should I expect from either of these in comparison? Thank you for your feedback.

Hi, I'm new to this forum which I found while researching binoculars. I have no place local to handle Leicas, and I am trying to decide between 10x42 Noctivid and Ultravid HD Plus binoculars. I see that both use the same glass, so is there any difference in their optical quality? I am coming from a pair of Pentax DCF SP 10x43s with which I've been very pleased over the years. They are light and handy, and the optical quality is pleasing to me. What should I expect from either of these in comparison? Thank you for your feedback.
I would say that there is definitely a difference between the two, Noctivid being better optically in my opinion. They do handle differently also, with the larger more centrally placed focus wheel on the Ultravid. Don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

There may be differences in optical quality. But there are ergonomic differences for sure. If I don't like handling a binocular, the optics don't matter much to me. The ergonomics of the Noctivid (8)x42 didn't work for me. And I am very happy with the x42s Ultravids in this respect. Also, I like the view through the UV 10x42 very much. The only negative aspect could be a bit too much of CA. But then, the Nocts are said to have a little too much CA, too.

Get your hands on them before you buy.

Ok...
The Ultravid is an astonishingly good optic.
I would be surprised if it wasn't good enough.
The Noctovid is excellent but a lot more money.
The difference between the new Trinovid and the Ultravid is in my opinion worth it.
The difference between the Ultravid and Noctovid is not.
Each to their own.

Caveat: I wear specs while using binos

I own 10xNV and 8x42UVHD+
The NV is superior in almost every way except one: The focuser (even tho I've learned to live with it) is too far back.

In fact I'm considering selling my 8x42's and buying same in NV ;-)

If you have the money then buy Leica’s top of the line, and in my opinion all things being considered the best pair of binoculars in the world for image and build. Either one will be great, it may come down to what feels best in the hands. You’ll hear a lot about the ergonomics of the NV, the top one is some people can’t get their fingers wrapped around the barrel. But this literally makes no sense to me from people who complain about it and have Ultravids. I have many binoculars that i can’t get my hands around the barrels ,so if that’s an issue for you maybe look to Zeiss SF or Swarovski NL or EL.

You’ll hear a lot about the ergonomics of the NV, the top one is some people can’t get their fingers wrapped around the barrel. But this literally makes no sense to me from people who complain about it and have Ultravids.
I think the position of the focuser is the main problem as far as ergonomics are concerned. In addition, I couldn't seem to get a view without blackouts through the NV 8x42s. It was a rather annoying and disappointing experience for me. I am sure, however, most users don't have the blackout problem.

I think the position of the focuser is the main problem as far as ergonomics are concerned. In addition, I couldn't seem to get a view without blackouts through the NV 8x42s. It was a rather annoying and disappointing experience for me. I am sure, however, most users don't have the blackout problem.
Indeed, the ER is so great, that with eyeglasses - depending on which pair - I sometimes pull the eyecups out one click. But that just makes them a joy to use with specs... huge eyebox which makes other seem less 'easy'.

The focuser didn't take me long to adapt to, but I don't seem to be as OCD about how I hold binos as some are. I just admit that it seems too far 'back' and prefer the SFL/Zeiss or the UV/Trinnies.

I don’t seem to have any issues with the focuser position nor blackouts with the Nocs, but then again I’m pretty easy. From all the complaints I’ve been reading on all these top of the line binoculars, I must also be very lucky as well , not to have so many issues with glare, focusers, edge issues, globe effect , the list goes on and on. I have more of an issue with the NL’s with some blackout, but in no way a deal breaker.

Ive compared focuser positions on multiple binoculars and my conclusion is that the majority are very close to the same when comparing similar size bins. The exception to the rule are the newer better ergonomically designed bins, like in the SF, NL, SFL and few others. I have a few bins that are a lot worse with focuser position than the Nocs. I think we/I have gotten a little spoiled with the new designs. In another discussion/thread on this topic i acaully had posted a few pictures of multiple binoculars In my and my wifes hands showing the hand position in relation to the focusers.

I also think if your going to have one or two binoculars for all your observing needs , then all these things become much more important because of how much time you spend with them, and how comfortable you feel with the equipment every time out in the field. I’ve been lucky and blessed that I can pick and choose a flavor of the day in optics, whereas I might notice some of these imperfections but because I dont have to spend every day with them so they don’t become an annoyance. And I can also choose and customize my choice of the binocular for a specific time of day and outdoor conditions, which is also nice.

Paul

You’ll hear a lot about the ergonomics of the NV, the top one is some people can’t get their fingers wrapped around the barrel. But this literally makes no sense to me from people who complain about it and have Ultravids. I have many binoculars that i can’t get my hands around the barrels ,so if that’s an issue for you maybe look to Zeiss SF or Swarovski NL or EL.
Hey Paul,

This doesn't make sense to me. The Noctivid is designed with open bridge just like the SF, NL and EL. Ultravid is not an open bridge design.
Spending all of that money on a Nvid you're hoping it will have the comfort of an open bridge design like SF, NL and EL.

Hey Paul,

This doesn't make sense to me. The Noctivid is designed with open bridge just like the SF, NL and EL. Ultravid is not an open bridge design.
Spending all of that money on a Nvid you're hoping it will have the comfort of an open bridge design like SF, NL and EL.
I don’t think the first reason people are buying Noctivids is because of the double bridge. I think it’s because of the Leica image and build quality, then if the ergonomics don’t work they buy something else like almost every other pair of binoculars being made today. My point was that I didn’t understand how someone could say the Nocs are not comfortable because they can’t get their hands around the barrels when they have no issue with Ultravids that have a mono hinge. The EL 42’s could fall into the same category of the Nocs if you have a small IPD. So it’s not always the fact that something has a double bridge (open bridge) that always allows people to get their fingers around the barrels. I mean there are so many binoculars that you can’t wrap your hands around the barrels, so not sure why the Nocs get that attention. Should we make a list. 😜.

I find the grip of the Nocs feel a little more secure in my hands than the Ultravids, but that’s just me.

Paul

I don’t think the first reason people are buying Noctivids is because of the double bridge. I think it’s because of the Leica image and build quality, then if the ergonomics don’t work they buy something else like almost every other pair of binoculars being made today. My point was that I didn’t understand how someone could say the Nocs are not comfortable because they can’t get their hands around the barrels when they have no issue with Ultravids that have a mono hinge.

This still doesn't make any sense to me. You're expecting to hold the Noctivid the way it's designed. Open bridge binoculars are designed for the fingers to wrap around each barrel. The Ultravid has totally different ergonomic expectations the way it's designed. You're not expecting to hold the binocular the way you would the Nvid. They're totally different ergonomic designs. Don't think we'll be able to agree on this one.

I can understand why some people may feel very disappointed if they have to hold it like a traditional single hinge binocular. It kills the purpose of the design IMO.

I tried a 10x42 Nvid once and if my memory is correct I was able to wrap fingers around each barrel and the ergos seemed fine.
If I wasn't able to wrap my fingers around the Nvid I would think "what's the point of this design?!"
I had my 7x42 Ultravid with me that day and recall the ergonomics of the Ultravid seemed better for me. I think the focuser position is very good
on the Ultravids.

This still doesn't make any sense to me. You're expecting to hold the Noctivid the way it's designed. Open bridge binoculars are designed for the fingers to wrap around each barrel. The Ultravid has totally different ergonomic expectations the way it's designed. You're not expecting to hold the binocular the way you would the Nvid. They're totally different ergonomic designs. Don't think we'll be able to agree on this one.
it’s a good thing we can agree to disagree ✌🏼.
I can understand why some people may feel very disappointed if they have to hold it like a traditional single hinge binocular. It kills the purpose of the design IMO.
Theres something else we also disagree about. There are other open bridge designs that don’t allow wrapping the fingers around , why are we only talking about the Nocs. Let’s get some complaints in here about the EL’s or some others.
I tried a 10x42 Nvid once and if my memory is correct I was able to wrap fingers around each barrel and the ergos seemed fine.
Exactly, works for most people like all good well designed binoculars. And for some others they don’t work.
If I wasn't able to wrap my fingers around the Nvid I would think "what's the point of this design?!"
I had my 7x42 Ultravid with me that day and recall the ergonomics of the Ultravid seemed better for me. I think the focuser position is very good
on the Ultravids.
As long as your going to use both hands on the Ultravids , your good. Try observing with one one hand.
See some photos concerning grip.

Ultravids comfortable, but not holding in one hand observing or even walking. Noctivids very comfortable, can one hand hold and no problem walking holding to one side. So now someone tell why would the UV would be easier to hold.

Attachments

• 081B568C-C0BC-4A08-A4C8-C3DD1603CF89.jpeg
    081B568C-C0BC-4A08-A4C8-C3DD1603CF89.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 21
  • 87B3FEC9-249F-4145-9DE0-BE4E655FB57E.jpeg
    87B3FEC9-249F-4145-9DE0-BE4E655FB57E.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 2AACBF32-0B27-4160-AD5F-9F65E5C41D6A.jpeg
    2AACBF32-0B27-4160-AD5F-9F65E5C41D6A.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 617B337A-F44C-42FE-B2C5-FD3FAECA6FD9.jpeg
    617B337A-F44C-42FE-B2C5-FD3FAECA6FD9.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 21
It's quite simple, people with slightly thicker fingers can't get them through the bridge, the design is too tight.
This eliminates this advantage, and the focuser is too high for some, so the finger has to be spread.
Everything maybe not a Nogo for many, but a well thought-out design looks different, the SF and EL work much better in this regard.

Andreas

Ultravids bequem, aber nicht in einer Hand halten, beobachten oder sogar gehen. Noctivids sehr bequem, können mit einer Hand gehalten werden und gehen problemlos zur Seite. So jetzt jemand sagen warum wäre die UV einfacher zu halten.
Paul Bild 2 zeigt es, fast wie die Gitarre mit dem Barré-Akkord.;)

Andreas

Last edited:
Theres something else we also disagree about. There are other open bridge designs that don’t allow wrapping the fingers around , why are we only talking about the Nocs. Let’s get some complaints in here about the EL’s or some others.
It seems to me there are more complaints about the Nvid than the others, unfortunately ... at least here on this forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back