• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Noctivid 10x42 review (1 Viewer)

The 7x42 Leica is a very nice binocular but I preferred the 8x42 Zeiss ht because of the close focus. I like to also look at insects and butterflies ��

So I´m pleading with Swarovski that they bring the SLC line to Swarovision precision... also, to offer 42mm glasses with AK prisms.

I agree with you that the minimal field curvature in the SLC (as opposed to truly flat) is ideal. And I do think it would be great to see the SLC 42 with AK prisms; I've really been enjoying my 10x56. I'd also like to see how much brighter still these binos could get with HT glass.

By the way Tobias, there seems to be a glitch on your website: one wouldn't know you have a Noctivid review, as it doesn't show on the list of Leica reviews.

Can that SLC 10X get any brighter? Likely the best 10X56 on the market today.
Well for my taste it is, but if transmission is what you're after I assume HT glass in the prisms at least could add another 1-2%, as in the Zeiss HT. I suppose the SLC just isn't positioned as a spare-no-cost bino.

Didn't you get an SLC 42 yourself, or are you just considering one? No AK prisms there but they seem very fine nonetheless, if you don't favor the EL/SV thing (as I don't).

Well in my samples - both from the Swaro demo - SLC was clearly inferior. Also, street prices in Europe for many other alpha bins are not much higher than the SLC´s. With SLC list price is about street price.

Must be a popular bin...

Which 10x are you referring to, and in what ways were the SLC "clearly inferior?"

Thanks,
Ed

Slc

Tenex,

I am viewing with the 15X56 SLC under the stars tonight. I will explain why I chose it after much deliberation once I get more used to it.

Ed, I was speaking about the 10X56 SLC, great glass.

Andy W.

Last edited:
I am viewing with the 15X56 SLC under the stars tonight. I will explain why I chose it after much deliberation once I get more used to it.
Not much explanation needed here. I think that's the most amazing binocular made today. I'd use it myself if I didn't already have a classic Zeiss porro 15x60, which sadly weighs 12 oz more. So I had to be content with the 10x! What's your tripod solution?

Tenex,

I am overwhelmed with choices, I will get the Swaro tripod adaptor, but the mount, looking for something that I can use with a monopod, and something I can use in a chair with counterbalance. After this weekend I should be better informed.
The night sky and the moon were spectacular last night with the 15X SLC, It is my first Swarovski. I chose them because of the balance and available light gathering capabilities when compared to the Meopta 15x56 HD which as well as the 12X50 HD, are great glass. The view is flat to the edge like the 12X50 SV, which I compared it to, and with an extra 3X. It is heavy but I can actually hand hold it for short periods with out shakes. It truly is a great glass, and was tempted with the 10X56 SLC, but ended up getting another 10X56 cheap, so I went for it.
IMO the SLC 10X56 is a great glass, I just preferred the view compared to the SV 10X50, if I did not have other 10X large aperture glass I would choose the SLC 10X56.

The Leica 10X50 UV HD+ is a great glass in itself because I use it in the day as well at night, it is small light weight and was a bargain. I hardly use 10X42 anymore. The Leica is an underrated glass, if one does not have a problem with the eye relief, a great choice. It is the one 10X I always grab.

Another night to view the sky, until next Monday on the east coast.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back