• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens covers (2 Viewers)

PeterPS

Kiribati
The photos show a Zeiss 12x50 (about 1919) with retractable lens covers that shield the objective lenses against glare and rain. No current binos I am aware of make use of this neat idea (more than 100 years old).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 18
Birding around the U.K. I occasionally see (not more than one every 6 weeks and Iā€™m out a couple of times per week) some enterprising birder who has some (usually) black tubing which has been split and "wrapped" around the objective ends of their binoculars.
Presumably, this excludes glare on a sunny day
As they are held on with strong looking elastic bands, I presume they are easily removed for storage.

Last edited:
The Barr and Stroud 7x50 had rotating lens shields that came out as they were rotated.

They used to be seen at horse races, but I doubt many are used now for bird watching.

They also had rotating filter wheels.

Regards,
B.

J.H. Steward field glass 1880s with extending lens hoods and three different eyepieces for three different magnifications, none of which were high magnification.

Probably not made by J.H.Steward.

16x long John binocular probably has extending lens hoods.
Made in Frankfurt 1800s.

Extending lens hoods probably common in the 1800s.

Regards,
B.

Some modern binoculars, such as some Canons have lens threads.

Photo lens hoods can be screwed in and some keep them attached in preference to lens covers.

Filters can also be used.

Regards,
B.

Photo lens hoods can be screwed in and some keep them attached in preference to lens covers.

I personally believe all binoculars should have filter threads. All of them, no exception. They can be very useful, and if you don't want to use them they do no harm.

Now, that would be an idea for Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss that actually makes a lot of sense and doesn't cost a lot of money to implement.

Hermann

Regards,
B.
Lens threads are indeed a nice feature, my Canon 10x42ISLs were improved by the addition of suitable 52mm lens hoods.
They don't impact the light, unlike filters, shelter the objectives from rain and dirt and also help cut glare further.
As Hermann has noted, this is a very low cost improvement that really should be standard on all binoculars.

Now, that would be an idea for Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss that actually makes a lot of sense and doesn't cost a lot of money to implement.
At least with Swarovski it will surely cost some... And of course will be sold separately just like the FRP forehead rest !! ;)

It might add a few millimetres to some binoculars that are minimalistic.

But I agree that all binoculars should have filter threads.

On camera lenses these sometimes absorb the shock when dropped.
Usually these can be opened up again to work.
I have seen and had many such lenses bought secondhand, usually heavily discounted, but fully functioning.

Unfortunately, with a binocular the collimation is probably knocked out.

Regards,
B.

I personally believe all binoculars should have filter threads. All of them, no exception. They can be very useful, and if you don't want to use them they do no harm.

Hermann
Unfortunately, however, it's like wrestling with a pig. The industry is "Monkey See ā€” Monkey Do."

Last edited:
Let us know when Leica (i.e., LEItz CAmera Co.) puts camera hybrid retro-threads on binocular objectives. They can call it a Thretrovid, (Threaded Retrovid). Until then I'm afraid they're still a Monkey Do operation. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back