• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesbos 2012 (22 Viewers)

Trip reports

I've just added half a dozen reports to my Lesvos Birding trip report page linked to Scribd hosted items. This seems to work very well.

I've removed a further four reports which were linked to the now defunct Travellingbirder.com website and I'm trying to obtain copies of these to host myself.

But don't worry, there are still over 100 reports listed and linked to from 1997 right up to 2012!

The only report for which I don't have an email address for the author is Hans Martin Holby for trip 3 - 10 August 2011. If your on here Hans, or you know Hans, can you let me have his email address please. Thanks.

2012 records

Another request for records for 2012 please. As the dark evenings begin to draw in I will begin work on the 2012 annual bird report, Lesvos Birds 2012. I need all records from the spring submitted asap please so I can make a start and stay on track for my end of Feb 13 publication date.

You can contact me via my Lesvos Birding website (links down both sides of the site)

Many thanks!

2013 thread and day trips

I've already started a thread for 2013 here.

But I will cross post for the time being, so here is a heads up for my day trips which are already nearly fully booked for the period 28 Apr - 10 May (a handful of places left on odd days).

No problem with the first week though, 21 - 26 Apr - plenty of places on each trip.

A reminder that the first charter flight runs from Gatwick on 20 April, and judging by the lack of enquiries I'm getting for that week, there are lots of seats left on it!

The birds of Lesvos (2012)

This is a completely updated set of species accounts for all species that have been recorded up to the end of 2011. It updates and replaces the species accounts in my book, A Birdwatching Guide to Lesvos, and incorporates the three annual bird reports I've published to date, Lesvos Birds 2009, Lesvos Birds 2010 and Lesvos Birds 2010.

The plan is that as of next year, once I have published the annual bird report I will then update this document annually.

Sorry, no pics in this issue as I ran out of time as I need to start work on the 2012 bird report! the 2013 issue will contain images if folk are happy to llow me to use their images.

As ever, this is a completely free publication which can be downloaded from Scribd via the link below.

If you spot any errors please email/message me privately. Thanks.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/112345082/The-birds-of-Lesvos-2012

Last call for your 2012 records. I need all records for the annual report by 31 December. Thanks.

You can email via my Lesvos Birding website via the contact me links.

Records of rare birds for 2012 - help please

With over 26,000 records submitted this year we have a bumper amount of reports for scarce and rare species that the Lesvos Birds Records Committee and Hellenic Rarities require additional information (photos and forms).

I've followed up around 60 records and from these we now have around 40 already submitted or promised to LBRC and HRC which is fantastic.

What is also great is that out of this mass of data I am down to only a handful of individual records for which I know nothing and require additional information. These are as follows:

Lanner Falcon (Falco biarmicus) Χρυσογέρακο
Kalloni Raptor Watchpoint 23 Apr
Ipsilou 4 May

Little Swift (Apus affinis) Μικροσταχτάρα
Metochi Lake 26 Apr

Blue-cheeked Bee-eater ([Merops persicus) Πράσινος Μελισσοφάγος
Vatousa 31 Aug

If you saw any of these birds, or have contact details for someone who did, then please message me privately or email me at [email protected].

Thanks.

Request for photos for 2012 Lesvos bird report

If you would like to submit any images from 2012 for the report then please email them direct to me please. Send to: [email protected].

I prefer not to publish species I've published before in the 2009-2011 reports, but I'll consider all good species images and images of landscapes. Below is a list of preferred species (just a guide).

For each image I need date and location. Thank you.

Garganey | Anas querquedula
Little Grebe | Tachybaptus ruficollis
Great Crested Grebe | Podiceps cristatus
Scopoli’s Shearwater | Calonectris diomedea
Greater Flamingo | Phoenicopterus ruber
White Stork | Ciconia ciconia
Glossy Ibis | Plegadis falcinellus
Spoonbill | Platalea leucorodia
Purple Heron | Ardea purpurea
Honey-buzzard | Pernis apivorus
Short-toed Eagle | Circaetus gallicus
Marsh Harrier | Circus aeruginosus
Hen Harrier | Circus cyaneus
Montagu’s Harrier | Circus pygargus
Booted Eagle | Hieraaetus pennatus
Lesser Kestrel | Falco naumanni
Peregrine | Falco peregrinus
Lapwing | Vanellus vanellus
Common Snipe | Gallinago gallinago
Marsh Sandpiper | Tringa stagnatilis
Greenshank | Tringa nebularia
Common Sandpiper | Actitis hypoleucos
Turnstone | Arenaria interpres
Little Stint | Calidris minuta
Ruff | Philomachus pugnax
Slender-billed Gull | Chroicocephalus genei
Audouin’s Gull | Ichthyaetus audouinii
Mediterranean Gull | Ichthyaetus melanocephalus
Turtle Dove | Streptopelia turtur
Great Spotted Cuckoo | Clamator glandarius
Barn Owl | Tyto alba
Alpine Swift | Apus melba
Pallid Swift | Apus pallidus
Kingfisher | Alcedo atthis
Wryneck | Jynx torquilla
Middle Spotted Woodpecker | Dendrocopus medius
Red-backed Shrike | Lanius collurio
Lesser Grey Shrike | Lanius minor
Masked Shrike | Lanius nubicus
Golden Oriole | Oriolus oriolus
Jay | Garrulus glandarius
Sombre Tit | Parus lugubris
Icterine Warbler | Hippolais icterina
Barred Warbler | Sylvia nisoria
Subapline Warbler | Sylvia cantillans
Ruppell’s Warbler | Sylvia rueppelli
Sardinian Warbler | Sylvia melanocephala
Wren | Troglodytes troglodytes
Common Nuthatch | Sitta europaea
Rose-coloured Starling | Pastor roseus
Northern Wheatear | Oenanthe oenanthe
Isabelline Wheatear | Oenanthe isabellina
Black-headed Wagtail | Motacilla flava feldegg
Blue-headed Wagtail | Motacilla flava flava
Grey Wagtail | Motavilla cinerea
Serin | Serinus serinus
Ortolan Bunting | Emberiza hortulana
Cretzschmar’s Bunting | Emberiza
Cinereous Bunting | Emberiza cinerea

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back