• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser / Mealy Redpoll? (1 Viewer)

Reader

Today I was watching & photographing the Redpolls in the garden at Kelling, Norfolk.

I'm not too hot when it comes to identifying Mealy Redpolls and was wondering about the following three photos.

The first I was veering to Mealy, the other two Lesser.

What do the experts think.

John

Attachments

• Poss Mealy Redpoll 2199.jpg
    Poss Mealy Redpoll 2199.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Poss lesser - Mealy Redpoll 2221.jpg
    Poss lesser - Mealy Redpoll 2221.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Poss lesser - Mealy Redpoll 2173.jpg
    Poss lesser - Mealy Redpoll 2173.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 163
[QUOTE

The first I was veering to Mealy, the other two Lesser.

What do the experts think.

John[/QUOTE]

I'm certainly no expert...but then I believe it would be a brave person to claim as such when dealing with this group. However..based on current thinking...I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment in this case, although a size comparison with some classic Lessers might have been more supportive.

cheers

Thanks Ken

Unfortunately the first bird was out on its own when I took the photo and I didn't get another chance with that bird again so this is the best I can supply.

Does anyone else agree, or disagree with Ken.

John

I'm certainly no expert...but then I believe it would be a brave person to claim as such when dealing with this group. However..based on current thinking...I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment in this case, although a size comparison with some classic Lessers might have been more supportive.

cheers

Thanks BM

Is everyone else of the same opinion?

John
Not nessecarily. Once again I think it is hard to say based on pictures. 1st pic is a Mealy for me too, 3rd pic looks brown enough everywhere to be lessers. 2nd pic though is imo not enough. I do think that the grey colour of the head is a little troublesome for a clear Lesser.

Not nessecarily. Once again I think it is hard to say based on pictures. 1st pic is a Mealy for me too, 3rd pic looks brown enough everywhere to be lessers. 2nd pic though is imo not enough. I do think that the grey colour of the head is a little troublesome for a clear Lesser.

my thoughts echo Ola's. That grey head in pic 2 troubles me for Lesser despite the buff on the wingbar.

Mealy, Lesser, Lesser

I think sometimes people forget to take the jizz and the bulky structure of the mealy into account, the bird in the 2nd image is classic jizz and structure of a lesser... I have alot of these currently in the garden, you will be suprised when you get large flocks of the colour variation within the same species, especially around the head and the wingbars.

Another vote for Mealy, Lesser, Lesser.

The chunky neck and the pale colouring of the 1st bird is a good indicator for Mealy.

Mealy, Lesser, Lesser

I think sometimes people forget to take the jizz and the bulky structure of the mealy into account, the bird in the 2nd image is classic jizz and structure of a lesser... I have alot of these currently in the garden, you will be suprised when you get large flocks of the colour variation within the same species, especially around the head and the wingbars.
Oh, but the jizz can appear so different on different photos so I wouldn't rely on that on a single picture like this.

Oh, but the jizz can appear so different on different photos so I wouldn't rely on that on a single picture like this.

agreed Ola, sometimes seeing the bird in the field would give it a clinching ID in a matter of seconds, we dont have that luxury with this one, but look at the structure of the bird that is the topic of our discussion compared to the Mealy, it is a lot slighter, less barrel chested and thick necked, more upright, all of which are a sound (and agreed that not the only) indicators in my experience.

of course as John says we can safely say a nice Redpoll sp :t:

The second bird looks far too grey around the head for me as well for a clear lesser, otherwise I agree 1st picture Mealy and third Lessers'

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back