• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Sand Plover Bangkok April 2024 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I was checking out the mud flats yesterday and I spotted several plovers. I had no idea on what plover it could be.

Back home and I checked my books, Lesser Sandplover - Charadrius mongolis and the Greater Sandplover

I ID the bird as a Lesser Sandplover because of the black forehead.

Greater Sandplover have a white forehead with the black band above the with spot on the forehead.

So what is the problem? Well, I look for Lesser Sandplover, not available in eBird and anywhere else. I try the Charadrius mongolis and Siberian/ Tibetan Sandplover is coming up. but with a different scentific name.

Anyone having any idea on what to call these birds?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 608.jpg
    608.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 628.jpg
    628.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 613.jpg
    613.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 612.jpg
    612.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 611.jpg
    611.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 610.jpg
    610.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 609.jpg
    609.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 30
The Lesser Sandplovers that occur in Thailand are Tibetan Sandplover so atrifons.

All the best

Paul
Thank you very much Paul Chapman!

This option is not even available in my books, 3 different books. Lesser Sand Plover - Charadrius mongolis. But this option is not available in eBird. But Tibetan Sandplover is available so I have now changed the ID in my eBird report.

Thank you again, highly appreciated!
Aladdin

Birds of Thailand is prior to the Lesser Sandplover split when mongolus became Siberian Sandplover and atrifons became Tibetan Sandplover but it confirms that it is atrifons & the schaeferi subspecies.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20240507_140005~2.jpg
    20240507_140005~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240507_140033~2.jpg
    20240507_140033~2.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240507_140051~2.jpg
    20240507_140051~2.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 15
Birds of Thailand is prior to the Lesser Sandplover split when mongolus became Siberian Sandplover and atrifons became Tibetan Sandplover but it confirms that it is atrifons & the schaeferi subspecies.

All the best

Paul
Thank you again!

I have the same book. So they have changed the name. That is not the first time I run in to trouble when they have changed names.

I think I get it now, before it was lesser that they now have split in to two,

Tibetan and Siberian and one option in eBird is Tibetan / Siberian sand plover. Maybe because it is not possible to see any difference?

Thanks again, really appreciated and now I know next time I spot the bird
Aladdin

Hi, Aladdin, this is not a propos to this thread but I wanted to thank you for your very excellent website which I made much use of in a short stay in Oman in March. It was very helpful in my birding there and I thank you for putting all the effort that you obviously did into it.
very much appreciated and recommended to others
steve

Hi, Aladdin, this is not a propos to this thread but I wanted to thank you for your very excellent website which I made much use of in a short stay in Oman in March. It was very helpful in my birding there and I thank you for putting all the effort that you obviously did into it.
very much appreciated and recommended to others
steve
Hello bhutjoe!

Thank you for your heart warming words!

Aladdin

The legs do appear to be slightly muddy.

But the legs of Tibetan Sandplover are variable, and are not always black. In my experience, most are grey, sometimes with a slight greenish tone and often darker on the feet and 'knees'. These look pretty typical to me. Leg colour seems to vary with age, sex and season - I mostly associate pure black legs with adult males in full breeding plumage (although the female in these photos has got pretty dark legs).

I wonder if this might vary geographically though (this seems to be true for almost everything associated with sandplover ID! :ROFLMAO:). Looking at online pictures, it seems there may be a tendency for birds in the Middle East to have blacker legs compared to birds in south and southeast Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back