• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Linux for beginners? (1 Viewer)

Mickymouse

Ubuntu Linux user
I hope to be buying a new computer in the next few months and fancy installing Linux to get away from having to use windows, question is how best to go about it? I have investigated Ubunto and Mandriva either look like they would do for a beginner like me.
Any Linux users out there who can give a newby some tips on getting started TIA

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I have investigated Ubunto and Mandriva either look like they would do for a beginner like me.

I can't help much, but a few months ago I installed Mandriva and then Ubuntu. The change to Ubuntu was because most of the Linux programs I wanted to run were precompliled for Ubuntu and less were available pre-compiled for Mandriva.

The support forum for Ubuntu is excellent.

Both installed easily and connecting into my small network and to the internet was a lot easier than adding a Windows box. Printing thorugh my HP inkjet was easy and adding my epson scanner was easy, but I failed totally to get my "Linux ready" Samsung CLP500 to work. Searching around the forums conformed that the CLP500 just doesn't work with Linux even though Samsung provide Linux drivers, and it seems there are still a few compatability problems with some printers. So check out your printer options on the web.

I bought a copy of Codeweavers Cross over office, and happily ran MSoffice 2000 in Linux. However, trying to install MSoffice 2003, gave me a corrupt file warning that prevented installing. Installng from the same CD onto a new Windows box some months later worked perfectly. Having said that OpenOffice is much better than MSOffice so unless you have a specific need for MSoffice this shoudln't be an issue.

Although many aspects of installing and running Ubuntu went really well, there were several things that were really difficult or tedious. The printer issue drove me nuts, as I tried out lots of suggestions to try and get it to work. getting some movies to run, that use proprietry code that need additional downloads and fiddling about I never got to work even though I followed the advice to the letter.

So a bit mixed, and for reasons of space and needing to make room for a new Windows box, I am no longer using Linux.

However, I will certainly go back to it and there are now a couple of books out on using Ubuntu which weren't available when I started. But the printer issue is still a problem. The recently released A3 inkjet that I was hoping to buy isn't Linux compatable and it does seem your choice of laser printers are restricted. Plus as I said there is still a mix of some things being incredibily easy to get working and others extremely difficult.

So, be prepared to spend time learning, and expect some frustration along the way.

Graham

Linux or Apple

Mickymouse said:
I hope to be buying a new computer in the next few months and fancy installing Linux to get away from having to use windows, question is how best to go about it? I have investigated Ubunto and Mandriva either look like they would do for a beginner like me.

Mick
As Myotis post demontrates some features of Linux are all down to experience and knowledge of the system. I have been using Mandrake now known as Mandriva for several years, (not as a workstation but a server). Its possible to get most printers working as Linux has support for CUPS (Common Unix printing system) and using Gimp print you can usually, as Myotis experienced get things to function with some tweaking. But Bristolbirders advice is good and worth considering as a Mac will run all these systems and configuring Mac OsX is a piece of cake.

They say that Linspire is the closest to Windows that you will get , although I have never tried it , my only Linux foray is having Mandriva 2006 on one of my desktops and for email and web browsing it remarkably easy to set up .

Ashley

Thanks for your input, I shall probable go with Ubunto the thing is practically all the apps I run are open source, so I thought it might be cool to go the whole hog, silly I know but I like to be a bit different.

Mick

One day, I'll be able to use linux and then I can shift that back-log of papers I've been meaning to write. It appears that most of the science geeks who write really useful programs only write them in Linux merely to upset us lesser, Windows-using, mortals...

colonelboris said:
It appears that most of the science geeks who write really useful programs only write them in Linux merely to upset us lesser, Windows-using, mortals...

Are you refering to any particular programs?

Graham

colonelboris said:
Yep - ALPS. It's a program for calculating magnetic behaviours...

OK, I think you have beaten me here !!!

I asssume you have looked at the packages for R, to see if it has anything to offer

Graham

I've installed ubuntu on several boxes at home and work. It's a good distro and, as mentioned, the support forum is good too. The 64-bit version gave me some probs but the more usual 32-bit is fine.

bristolbirder said:
Hi Mick

Why not get a Mac? The latest ones will happily run XP and Linux after partitioning. 3 O/S on one computer!

Steve

Agree. I have a MacBook (Intel), which is quite economical and very feature rich. I run windows 2000 under Parallels virtualization, and it is faster than my wife's new Dell laptop. (I only run this because I need it for work).

OSX is a Unix based system, and I think of it as "Linux done right".

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back