• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little bird ID request please (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
This morning in the yard outside the office a very small bird (Gold Crest sized I would say) hovered vertically like, a humming bird, for several seconds at a plastic bag caught in the railings.

I couldn't see any id marks, spots, streaks etc. It was a beigy colour and appeared to have a longish thin straight beak.

This was all I had time to see before it flew off across the street.

Anyone any ideas?

D

Given that it was hovering and you don't have Hummingbirds....do you suppose it's a case of mistaken identity...
Like the hawkmoth?
shelley

if you're saying "Gold Crest sized", i would go for the
Convolvulus hawkmoth
this is a BIG moth (but still small for a bird)
Hummingbird Hawk isn't but the size of a big bumblebee and has obvious rufous
markings (visibble in flight)
C. H. is bigger and the reddish marking don't stand out when hovering
without details though , it's keeps being a guessing-game

i've addes some pic for the Convolvulus hawkmoth

Attachments

• windepijl5.JPG
    windepijl5.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 97
  • windepijl_kop.JPG
    windepijl_kop.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
It could also be a Chiffchaff. Beigy colour, just a bit bigger than Goldcrest, no markings, thin bill... and they tend to hover quite a lot, even if just for a few seconds.

Convolvulus Hawkmoth is rare in the UK, and I would think (though I am fully prepared to be corrected on this) particularly rare as far north as Blairgowrie. I think Hummingbird Hawkmoth more likely.

Well, if I managed this right, I should have a hovering Hummingbird Hawkmoth here.
Just thought it might help, if indeed it was a hawkmoth of some kind.
shelley
Well, I didn't managed it right, so here is the link.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/hummingbirdhawkmoth/index.asp

I am so computer illiterate :h?:
apparently I did manage it and didn't know it.

Attachments

• HummingbirdHawkMothSF%20180_tcm3-41669.jpg
    HummingbirdHawkMothSF%20180_tcm3-41669.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I know nothing about moths, but do they ever "have a longish thin straight beak" ???

Chiffchaff regularly hover, and in certain light could be described as being beigy.

Even a house sparrow wouldnt be out of the question or any regular small garden bird for that matter. I have seen sparrows, blue tits and robins hover before for a few seconds.

Clouseau said:
Harrier GR7 in 'Desert Storm' camouflage?

Brilliant!! LOL

Definitely a bird.

Didn't know any of those mentioned hovered like that. Haven't heard any CC or WW's but there are plenty of trees the other side of the road behind some houses, so it's possible, but didn't pick out an eyestripe - it was so quick darn it. |=@|

Too pale for wren or sparrow.

Thanks everyone for your ideas much appreciated.

D

if it definitely was a bird, a chiffchaff is most likely. do you rule out goldcrest? goldcrests also hover at times, but usually not longer than for a second.

lou salomon said:
if it definitely was a bird, a chiffchaff is most likely. do you rule out goldcrest? goldcrests also hover at times, but usually not longer than for a second.

Mmm... could've been a young one I suppose but there were no white patches or stripes on it at all - it was completely plain.

Is it possible it was a Spotted Flycatcher? Just thinking out loud now as haven't seen many and none for ages!

Seem to have gone up a size with that thought tho' but with all the BIG stuff lying about in the yard it was maybe dwarfed by them!

D

tom mckinney said:
I know nothing about moths, but do they ever "have a longish thin straight beak" ???

Chiffchaff regularly hover, and in certain light could be described as being beigy.

The extended tongue has, I believe, been confused with a 'longish thin straight beak' before now.

delia todd said:
Is it possible it was a Spotted Flycatcher? Just thinking out loud now as haven't seen many and none for ages!

Spotted flycatcher much bigger, Delia; always bigger than expected whenever I see it, which is not that often unfortunately.

Juvenile birds do hover quite often when finding their wings

Andrew ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back