• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Brown Birds (1 Viewer)

DKR

Northern Refugee
I've been birdwatching for about a year now. I have found it quite hard to learn how to recognise birds but I am now getting there with ducks and a few waders although had trouble with dunlin and knot the other week.

Today I went around my local nature reserve which is becoming alive with woodland birds. I found it very frustrating that I can't recognise a lot of the little brown birds. I have BWPC, a couple of field guides and some CD's with birdsong on but there is so much to learn! I might have seen a Reed Bunting today but these types of birds don't tend to hang around in one place like a duck does so you really need to be on the ball and I am struggling. I also saw a small greenish bird today which I couldn't ID. Think I saw a Dunnock or was it a Wren??? Can't tell the difference cos they won't sit still!!

Anybody any tips or do I just need experience?

Experience is the best way to go. I know for here, we have a checklist of the birds seen in this area. I used the checklist, and put a red dot next to the birds in the field guide that are in my area. Now your not wasting time looking for birds that probably aren't in you area. It narrows the field some. Start with small brown birds that are easy. Learn their movements and field marks first. Don't get discourage if you don't ID them all. Even the most experienced birder doesn't ID them all. (Hard for them to admit though) It takes time and practice. Before you know it, just by watching how a bird acts, you will know if it's a wren or not. Concentrate on what you do know well first, and then move on.

Mike

Tip 1: watch birds as they are calling / singing, and associate the call & song with the appearance of the bird.

Tip 2: anything you don't recognise, jot down some notes of what it looked & sounded like - shape, size, plumage pattern (including features like white edges to the tail, etc), bill shape, etc, etc. Then when you get home, check these notes against a field guide.

Tip 3: remember that 99.9% of birds you see will be common species - if the map in the field guide for your best suggestion so far shows it only occurs in North Africa or some other far away place, look for other possibilities!

Nutcracker said:
Tip 2: anything you don't recognise, jot down some notes of what it looked & sounded like - shape, size, plumage pattern (including features like white edges to the tail, etc), bill shape, etc, etc. Then when you get home, check these notes against a field guide.

Or if you're a Yank, take the field guide with you.

Mike

DKR said:
I've been birdwatching for about a year now. I have found it quite hard to learn how to recognise birds but I am now getting there with ducks and a few waders although had trouble with dunlin and knot the other week.
(...)
Practice, practice, practice . . .

Some people have a photographic memory and some have an astonishing aural memory, either of which is a great help (understatement) to ID'ing birds.

Having neither of those gifts, one of the things I used to do, just for the sheer pleasure of it, was that I would pore over my favorite guide(s) for hours on end. You won't find me 'studying' quite as much as I used to, but I still like to go through the guide before going on an excursion. I keep in mind the location and time of year, and concentrate on the birds I'm most likely to see. It's like taking a quick course, or a refresher course, and has proved helpful to me over the years.

And patience, patience, patience...

Don't simply walk the path, watching the birds fly away from you. When you come across a spot with birds, wait as still and unobtrusively as you can for a few minutes and let the birds come to you. Next to a tree trunk isn't a bad idea if there is one. And when you see a bird, don't jerk your bins up suddenly. Sudden movements scare birds. Lift them slowly. That way you stand more chance of getting a good view without it flitting off. (You can't win 'em all, though).

ID Problems

Thanks for the advice folks.

I should get into the habit of taking notes. One problem with staying still in one place is that often on nature reserves other people are using the paths so they scare the birds anyway. I gues you just have to pick a quiet time.

All the advice is good. I'm terrible at IDing so I understand how you feel. When at Minsmere I saw lots of "small brown birds", some warbler like, that I couldn't identify! Here are a few pictures that may help you with the ID.
Reed Bunting:http://www.bio.unipd.it/behavecol/Reedbunting.JPG
Dunnock:http://www.naturephotographers.dacscomp.co.uk/ps_derived/britain/birds/images/dunnock.jpg
Wren:http://www.ivnvechtplassen.org/ivn_vogels_park_bos/Winterkoning_Troglodytes-troglodytes.jpg

There are lots of photos in the gallery, many of which have helped me in the past!

Oh yeah! One more thing that was a big help to me...Birding with a group. You have more eye's and expertise. An experienced birder in the group, can ID a bird for you, and then you can watch the little subtleties of the bird. The next time you see it on your own, you will know what it is. Many birders are eager to help!

Mike

There is probably a Local RSPB group near you. Find out and join. There is nothing like willing experienced birders to help you along.

DKR said:

Today I went around my local nature reserve which is becoming alive with woodland birds. I found it very frustrating that I can't recognise a lot of the little brown birds. I have BWPC, a couple of field guides and some CD's with birdsong on but there is so much to learn! I might have seen a Reed Bunting today but these types of birds don't tend to hang around in one place like a duck does so you really need to be on the ball and I am struggling. I also saw a small greenish bird today which I couldn't ID. Think I saw a Dunnock or was it a Wren??? Can't tell the difference cos they won't sit still!!

Get yourself some copies of the tapes 'Teach Yourself Birds Sounds'.
There's about 10 in the set but you can buy them seperately.

They really are very good for learning songs and calls...(listen to them in the car) and that's half the battle.

Once you can recognise the common ones...Dunnock, Song/Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, the Tits(although beware of the pesky Great Tit), Finches etc., you will know what you're looking at and get a lot more enjoyment out of your birding. In fact once you know the regulars, you'll know what's about without even seeing them!
Then it's just a matter of learning another few hundred more...easy really :eek!:

But then there's easy ones like Chiffchaff..so it's not that bad after all!!

Frank

Variations on patience

Bluetail said:
And patience, patience, patience...

Don't simply walk the path, watching the birds fly away from you. When you come across a spot with birds, wait as still and unobtrusively as you can for a few minutes and let the birds come to you. Next to a tree trunk isn't a bad idea if there is one.

I entered birding in an odd way -- it was reading the codes of ethics from various bird organizations that did it. Something about people who actually thought of that as crucial to their hobby was... satisfying.

And so, from the start, I've had a quirky golden rule for myself: if I ever suspect that I've in any way startled or "flushed" a bird, I stop for a full "30-one-thousand" count and consider what I can see and understand right here. Frozen feet are part of this ritual.

My making-up-for-bothering-them freeze has led me to notice many, many of the favorite birds I've run across. It's also resulted in the best looks I've ever had at birds of prey; many times I've thought I'd disturbed the yellowthroat, or pushed the waterfowl into the air, only to realize in two seconds that it was a harrier quartering in low that did it. Happens with accipiters fairly often. A goshawk, very close up, once. This last weekend I had a long visit with a mink in one of our local park reserves because I stopped after knowingly walking a robin off its pathway vigil for a second. Wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Not to prate, but there's a very zen-like quality to some kinds of birding. You don't have to be stuffing your list to feel satisfaction, and not pressing will let you see more clearly.

I too am struggling, but usually "learn" a bird or two each time i go somewhere. I ALWAYS take a field guide, and i usually take my camera. If i see something i don't recognised, i snap away a few shots - even if i know the pictures won't turn out good. I then spend a couple of hours looking at the pics and comparing with field guides - at home.

I find the camera is my best tool!

Don't forget your garden, ID everything but everything you see through the kitchen window and the ID threads on here, don't be in a hurry to scroll down to see what others say, have a go yourself, practice is the thing.

Mick

Gardens are great for getting good lingering views. Also try to find a local reserve that has feeders out with a hide next to them. Then you can sit for hours watching the birds close-up, with a field guide sitting in front of you. Great practice for learning what sort of things can be used to tell one bird from another.

I'm sure there will be an organised Dawn Chorus meeting at the beginning of May where you live...I was hopeless at bird song when I first started (thought a Blue Tit was a Robin!!!) but going on a Dawn Chorus and actusally seeing the birds singing and having experts on hand to tell us what they were was a BIG help!
Now I'm a lot better..though I still have to refer back to the tapes at this time of year as regards the returning warblers LOL

Otherwise, just practise, practise, practise and get out as much as you can - we were ALL beginners once - and it's surprising how quickly you pick things up! And don't EVER be embarrassed to ask advice or say to other birders that you don't know what somthing is....most birders love to show off their expertise LOL

But, MOST important point.....ENJOY yourself!!!!

Gill

Learner

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

I don't have a camera or a garden. |=(|

Last Sunday I went to Dunge on an organised 'work with the warden' walk. It was great. Me and another chap walked with one of the wardens whilst he did a breeding bird survey. There were lots of Reed Buntings around so I think I know tham now. I was surprised at how good at spotting birds with the naked eye they were. It takes me ages with me bins. I'll look out for a dawn chorus walk but I don't fancy the early start!

I Find Very Useful To Do Some Home Work. Get A Fieldguide With Good Descriptions (collin's Mullarney, I. E) And Read Them. Get Used To What You`ll See Lately On The Field. The Texts Usually Include Some Clues Particularly Significant

rezMole said:
I too am struggling, but usually "learn" a bird or two each time i go somewhere. I ALWAYS take a field guide, and i usually take my camera. If i see something i don't recognised, i snap away a few shots - even if i know the pictures won't turn out good. I then spend a couple of hours looking at the pics and comparing with field guides - at home.

I find the camera is my best tool!

I usually don't bother with a field guide. I focus on taking notes of what I see. I ALWAYS have a camera handy. You would be surprised how invaluable a tool a relatively inexpensive camera can be even if the picture of the bird fills 1% of the frame.

After I reach home, I than compare my notes and pictures with Field Guide plates and bird/behaviour/habitat descriptions.

Most of the time I get it right. When in doubt, I post here in Birdforum for help.

Hi rka. I think you've got the balance right there. Taking notes is the key, isn't it? It makes you look properly at the bird and helps make sure you note the sort of fine detail that will enable you to identify it later from a field guide. Taking photos is obviously a very useful back-up if you have the wherewithall, but it's the taking notes that will teach you most.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back