• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long Eared Owl Roost at Marton Mere (1 Viewer)

Phil Owen

Going to Martin Mere tomorrow with my son but whilst over there, would like to go and have a look at the Long eared Owl roost at MARTON mere (different place of course!!)

Does anybody know general directions to the roost and also if they have been showing well recently????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

With luck you should already have directions from bitterntwisted. Once the owls have picked their spot for the winter, they tend to stay put so the directions will probably still be ok. I was there about two weeks ago and four long-eared owls were showing well. They tend to face into the sun, what little we get up here, so whether you get good views may depend upon the time of day as you can only generally pin point there wherabouts from one direction on the outer path. I've attached a digiscoped photo taken on that last visit. You sometimes get a soft focus due to the foliage getting in the way but you should be fine with bins and scope. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Attachments

• long eared.jpg
    long eared.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Sent a pm with directions valid for the last few days, but this map courtesy of the Friends Of Marton Mere , may help others, the arrow marks the spot, do not climb over the fence. View from the path on the North side of the reserve, ie out of the green area!

Attachments

• leowls.bmp
    808.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
bill lord said:
About 30 miles by road, about 12 miles as the crow flies, but the Ribble estuary is in the way.

Thanks everyone who answered.

I will certainly give it a go and let you know how I got on.

Phil

Richard JSH said:
With luck you should already have directions from bitterntwisted. Once the owls have picked their spot for the winter, they tend to stay put so the directions will probably still be ok. I was there about two weeks ago and four long-eared owls were showing well. They tend to face into the sun, what little we get up here, so whether you get good views may depend upon the time of day as you can only generally pin point there wherabouts from one direction on the outer path. I've attached a digiscoped photo taken on that last visit. You sometimes get a soft focus due to the foliage getting in the way but you should be fine with bins and scope. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Snap! Looks like we've got nearly identical pics!

We must have been there at the same time, recognise this ugly mug:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/119820/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

:hi:
Jaff.

Attachments

• LongEowl01b.jpg
    LongEowl01b.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 179
Jaff said:
Snap! Looks like we've got nearly identical pics!

We must have been there at the same time, recognise this ugly mug:

[Jaff.

Sorry Jaff, don't recognise the fizzog. But you are quite right, we can't have been too far apart given the photos. Certainly looks like the same bird on the same branch from the same gap in the vegetation. I do like how predictable those owls are. Once they've found somewhere they are happy with, they seem to stay put. Then you only need to find them in the first instance and you are set for a winter of viewing.

All the best,

Richard.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back