• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long Island, NY Thrush/Sparrow ID please (1 Viewer)

Twilight

United States
Hi! I am new here and someone from the newbie intro forum suggested that I post this here. I saw this new bird feeding from the bits that were dropping from my suet feeder. He was stocky with a white eye ring. His tail was reddish and he flitted it often. His beak looked more thrush-ish than sparrow-ish to me. His breast was white with brown spots/streaks. At first I thought he was a Fox Sparrow but the beak just seems too slender. Any ideas? Someone over at the newbie forum thought he may be a Swainson's Thrush. That brings him pretty out of his area, no? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Joy

Attachments

• Thrushmaybesm5.psd
    298.5 KB · Views: 171
Yeah, that's what I thought too on her original post in the hello thread. So Joy, is this a new bird for you? If so, congrats. ;)

Hermit Thrush

If it is a Hermit Thrush, that is very cool. Yes, it is a new bird for my feeder. I did some research and some were seen on Eastern Long Island, further east of me, on January 7th, so that is very interesting. They seen to mostly winter further south of us but our weather has been very warm until now. I'm glad that I could help keep him warm with some suet! Thanks for everyones help!

Joy

Hermit Thrushes would not be out of range for your area Joy. I had them in Staten Island when I lived there.

Although i am only a humble british youngster, the white eye ring and reddish tail make it sound like a pretty certain hermit thrush to me.
Robbie

KCFoggin said:
LOL. Flipper! I love your signature3:)
i wish i could say i came up with it myself but unfortunately no, it is a Harold Wilson quote, who incidently was meant to have been a birder...
Robbie

They're nice birds, aren't they? I've had 'em as far north as Kingston, NY in the winter.

Hermit Thrush

overworkedirish said:
They're nice birds, aren't they? I've had 'em as far north as Kingston, NY in the winter.

He's stayed at our feeder since the day we first saw him and he's now known as "Hermie". He really is a nice bird and I enjoy seeing him every day. As far north as Kingston, NY in winter. wow!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back