• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long term quality...Leica or Swarovski (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

I am be taking the plunge and purchasing either the Leica Noctivid 10 x 42 or the Swarovski EL 10 x 42. Which binocular has the best build quality that will hold up very well
for many, many years? From the online research and You Tube videos I have been looking at of these 2 models, it seems the general thought is the Leica is best build, but I am
not sure if that is true or not.

I think both should last for a good many years. Swarovski’s warranty policy is more highly rated though. Ultimately, however, I’d advise buying based on how you like the view through them and how good a fit they are for you. Plus, buy them from a decent optics retailer if you can so they can also potentially help you out with any problems down the line.

I think both should last for a good many years. Swarovski’s warranty policy is more highly rated though. Ultimately, however, I’d advise buying based on how you like the view through them and how good a fit they are for you. Plus, buy them from a decent optics retailer if you can so they can also potentially help you out with any problems down the line.
You have asked a question much like, "Which is the best auto ... a Rolls-Royce or a Bentley."

Of course both are top notch. I in person tend to Leica with regard to issues with Swarovskis biodegradable armour reported in this forum but that's just me.

I am be taking the plunge and purchasing either the Leica Noctivid 10 x 42 or the Swarovski EL 10 x 42. Which binocular has the best build quality that will hold up very well
for many, many years? From the online research and You Tube videos I have been looking at of these 2 models, it seems the general thought is the Leica is best build, but I am
As has been said already, they are both excellent, but if push comes to shove my vote would go to Leica.

Lee

Not sure how useful this will be to you, but I have never owned a pair of Swarovski binoculars, but I do own a pair of Leica Duovid, that I purchased around 2002-2003. They still perform and operate the same as they did when I first purchased them. I've had no issues with anything peeling, coming away, such as the rubber surround, eyecups, lens coating.

The focusing wheel is still as smooth to turn as it was when first purchased, and so are the eyecups (which on this model you turn to adjust the magnification from one to the other).

Hope this helps :)

I have had the rubber covering and rubber eyecap surrounds on my Swarovski CL 8 x 25 become sticky and very unpleasant to use.
The glass optics are top notch , but I feel that Swarovski's use of "biodegradable" materials is not acceptable to me , after all they are expensive binoculars.
I will not be buying any Swarovski binocular in the future.
My Leica 10 x 32 UVHD+ on the other hand has not shown any signs of stickiness on the rubber whatsoever.
My few 1960's vintage Japanese Poro binoculars do not have this problem of sticky rubber either.
Leica appears to be the only modern manufacturer that build their products to last , but I am not wholly convinced that a modern Leica has superior build qualities to their vintage binoculars.
We live in a "throwaway" world , I suppose that we will have to adjust our expectations of quality accordingly.

You're considering a choice from two of the best four binoculars made in the world. Optically, if taken care of will last decades. Imo, for build quality its Leica, Swarovski then Zeiss, we can even throw in a few high end Nikons as well. Optically one is not better than the other, because they’re all about the same. It’s more about what you feel when you look through them. I like the qualities and different personalities of all of them, and they are different.

As far as build quality between those two, there’s not much separating them. What I would say is they are very different in image personality. If I were you , and I wasn’t going to buy both of them (at some point) I would without a doubt try them both out and see which image you like better , in conjunction with how they feel in your hands, then make the decision based on that. Build quality on these two options should be your last consideration, if at all.

I would ad a last thought here, maybe not relevant but I find that Leica in the Noctivids moved a bit closer in some attributes to the EL’s , with a flatter FOV , less edge distortion and brighter (like EL) than Ultravids. All while maintaining the Leica luscious image quality.

Good luck, let us know your choice.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to handle and try them out to be sure and unfortunately, that can take time. I have a first gen EL and I wanted to upgrade so I got the Noctivid because I had a
You really need to handle them to know and that can take time. I have a first gen EL and I wanted to upgrade. I got the Noctivid because I had a old Trinovid that I loved at one time and because I didn't like the field flattening of the new EL's. The Noctivid is a great alpha
bin but after a bit I decided it wasn't for me so I sold it. I ended up with an NL Pure, which just blows me away every time I bird. For me, it comes down to a variety of things; ergo's, color rendition, edge to edge sharpness, depth of field, weight. I have owned all of the alpha's and the NL is the best bin I have ever had. So don't be afraid to buy and sell if needed. If you invest in an alpha bin, it should blow you away.

I believe as people use these terms there is a difference between build quality and long term durability. To merge them muddles things a bit. My sense and its only that, is that Leica gets the nod when new in the shop, fits and finishes being a bit nicer and contributes to its "build quality" superiority perception. Thats different from how well will one or the other hold up over time. Id guess this latter is a bit harder to assess, particularly at the outset. Its hard though, not to combine customer service reputation to the conversation when considering long term durability. If one company has a track record of standing behind its product better than another, that gets added to the voting for long term use, for me at least.

You really need to handle and try them out to be sure and unfortunately, that can take time. I have a first gen EL and I wanted to upgrade so I got the Noctivid because I had a

You really need to handle them to know and that can take time. I have a first gen EL and I wanted to upgrade. I got the Noctivid because I had a old Trinovid that I loved at one time and because I didn't like the field flattening of the new EL's. The Noctivid is a great alpha
bin but after a bit I decided it wasn't for me so I sold it. I ended up with an NL Pure, which just blows me away every time I bird. For me, it comes down to a variety of things; ergo's, color rendition, edge to edge sharpness, depth of field, weight. I have owned all of the alpha's and the NL is the best bin I have ever had. So don't be afraid to buy and sell if needed. If you invest in an alpha bin, it should blow you away.
Welcome to the forum. I certainly can agree on the quality of NL’s. I’m curious a little bit on what it was that made you sell the Noctivid? The NL’s have a flat field as well, If not quite as flat as the EL SV.

I had the NL’s before I bought my Nocs, after looking through the Leica’s I knew id never sell them. I might say the same for the NL. If I was picking one, I’d pick the NL in 10x, but if I had to pick between them in 8x, I’d go with the Nocs (that’s just me).

Back to the OP, they won’t be disappointed in either one as far as build quality as many here have already stated. It’s going to come down to the image and the ergonomics, not build.

Paul

I have had the rubber covering and rubber eyecap surrounds on my Swarovski CL 8 x 25 become sticky and very unpleasant to use.
The glass optics are top notch , but I feel that Swarovski's use of "biodegradable" materials is not acceptable...
Am I to understand that I may have this sort of trouble in the future with my Curio 7x21?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back