• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long term quality...Leica or Swarovski (2 Viewers)

This argument could go on forever. One thing for certain is Swarovski likely sells 10 times more sport optics than Leica ever dreamed of. I think there are good reasons for it.......stellar warranty (USA ), exemplary customer service, high quality optics, superb build quality.

...Swarovski likely sells 10 times more sport optics than Leica ever dreamed of.
Well none of us know what dreams any of these makers have but it does show a bit of a fanboy mentality to word a post in that manner.

Long term quality has absolutely nothing at all to do with sales numbers other than to suggest customer confidence in a brand, which can come from any number of reasons, better marketing not excluded.

This argument could go on forever. One thing for certain is Swarovski likely sells 10 times more sport optics than Leica ever dreamed of. I think there are good reasons for it.......stellar warranty (USA ), exemplary customer service, high quality optics, superb build quality.
I wouldn’t call it an argument, I’d call it stimulating conversation (for some of us). Do you have some inside info on what Leica dreams about 😜. Swarovski selling 10 times more sport optics than Leica might have something to do with Leica not having sport optics to sell (other than binos). Kind of similar to Leica selling 10 times more cameras and lenses than Swarovski 😉I would ad that Leica sells high quality optics of superb build quality equal to or better than Swarovski, in some areas.

Nobody can disagree with the quality of customer service of Swarovski, they are second to none.

Paul

Well none of us know what dreams any of these makers have but it does show a bit of a fanboy mentality to word a post in that manner.

Long term quality has absolutely nothing at all to do with sales numbers other than to suggest customer confidence in a brand, which can come from any number of reasons, better marketing not excluded.
:)

For what it's worth most hunters are not noted for babying their equipment. In my case my Swaro EL 8x32's and my Vortex Fury 6x30's have spent the last 10 years of hot dusty summers in South Dakota fields and both are just fine.

While I agree with your assertion about 'customer confidence' the fact is that Swarovski has a reputation built on years of supplying first class and reliable instruments and it is this reputation that has built up their sales. There have been wobbles along the way (focuser and rubber armour issues) but the sheer number of people carrying Swarovski binos in nature reserves (and in our own experience, on ferries going to and from the Scottish islands) is testimony to their excellence and the confidence that the market has in their products.

And BTW I do not own any Swarovski optics.

If you happen to live "off-planet" , like I do , then manufacturers guarantees are not worth very much LOL.

I just gave away my 45 year old Nikon 9x30 roofs as a thank you.
The focuser, the centre hinges work like new, as good as any of my modern bins.
Two bits of shiny metal are the only wear visible, the plastic ocular/objective covers are well worn, the case falling apart, but the actual binoculars (which are not waterproof) are in wonderful condition.
A tribute to the build quality of the 1970's.
Of course the optics are not modern. But will any of my other binoculars stand such a test of time?

I have had the rubber covering and rubber eyecap surrounds on my Swarovski CL 8 x 25 become sticky and very unpleasant to use.
The glass optics are top notch , but I feel that Swarovski's use of "biodegradable" materials is not acceptable to me , after all they are expensive binoculars.
I will not be buying any Swarovski binocular in the future.
My Leica 10 x 32 UVHD+ on the other hand has not shown any signs of stickiness on the rubber whatsoever.
My few 1960's vintage Japanese Poro binoculars do not have this problem of sticky rubber either.
Leica appears to be the only modern manufacturer that build their products to last , but I am not wholly convinced that a modern Leica has superior build qualities to their vintage binoculars.
We live in a "throwaway" world , I suppose that we will have to adjust our expectations of quality accordingly.
After 6 years use the rubber eye cups on my CL 8x25 also became a bit worn. I placed a request for a new pair via the Swarovski web site and received them free within a few days. Excellent service from Swarovski - maybe try doing the same??

Owned and extensively used multiple optical devices from each of the Big 3. Overall, they’ve performed exceptionally well, provided splendid views, had tight build tolerances, and stood up very well to field use. Like others noted I’ve had some frustrations with known issues like Swarovski focusers, Zeiss eyecups, etc.
If forced to choose among their current offerings, I’d likely give a slight edge in perceived initial precision craftsmanship and durability to Leica. Swarovski‘s sales volume is certainly linked to brand reputation, but their marketing depth, breadth, and saturation is also orders of magnitude higher.

As far as warranty and standing behind what they sell, I don’t know how most of us would have enough factual data to make a fully objective conclusion. Other than the issues noted above, most of my warranty claims and service requests were due to impacts or components just plain wearing out over time. Surprisingly, almost all of those issues were repaired at no charge (even when outside of warranty).

The worst single experience I ever had was with Leica during the mid 1990s - they had my Trinovid’s for over a year to make a warranty repair. But, more recently they replaced an old malfunctioning rangefinder lightning fast, with great communication throughout. Had a few minor challenges with Zeiss (sometimes needing to send to Germany for repair) but almost all worked out well and they virtually rebuilt my old 10x40 Diavari for free. For me, the most extreme (good and bad) has been Swarovski. Their repairs are usually quite fast and issues resolved. A bad example - had the misfortune of buying a lemon that was defective upon receipt and kept developing new issues throughout its life - SW put me through the 3rd degree with the initial warranty repair and made me pay for subsequent repairs. It has since failed again and now just sits in a corner useless - don’t trust it.

As far as written warranties (for USA/Canada; it may be different elsewhere), Leica’s new warranty for products purchased from an authorized dealer, January 1, 2021 and later appears to commit to the broadest coverage. It was posted here and many other optics related sites.

Owned and extensively used multiple optical devices from each of the Big 3. Overall, they’ve performed exceptionally well, provided splendid views, had tight build tolerances, and stood up very well to field use. Like others noted I’ve had some frustrations with known issues like Swarovski focusers, Zeiss eyecups, etc.
If forced to choose among their current offerings, I’d likely give a slight edge in perceived initial precision craftsmanship and durability to Leica. Swarovski‘s sales volume is certainly linked to brand reputation, but their marketing depth, breadth, and saturation is also orders of magnitude higher.

As far as warranty and standing behind what they sell, I don’t know how most of us would have enough factual data to make a fully objective conclusion. Other than the issues noted above, most of my warranty claims and service requests were due to impacts or components just plain wearing out over time. Surprisingly, almost all of those issues were repaired at no charge (even when outside of warranty).

The worst single experience I ever had was with Leica during the mid 1990s - they had my Trinovid’s for over a year to make a warranty repair. But, more recently they replaced an old malfunctioning rangefinder lightning fast, with great communication throughout. Had a few minor challenges with Zeiss (sometimes needing to send to Germany for repair) but almost all worked out well and they virtually rebuilt my old 10x40 Diavari for free. For me, the most extreme (good and bad) has been Swarovski. Their repairs are usually quite fast and issues resolved. A bad example - had the misfortune of buying a lemon that was defective upon receipt and kept developing new issues throughout its life - SW put me through the 3rd degree with the initial warranty repair and made me pay for subsequent repairs. It has since failed again and now just sits in a corner useless - don’t trust it.

As far as written warranties (for USA/Canada; it may be different elsewhere), Leica’s new warranty for products purchased from an authorized dealer, January 1, 2021 and later appears to commit to the broadest coverage. It was posted here and many other optics related sites.

I don’t think the passport protection apply to any Leica binoculars bought overseas. I did have Leica USA repair a new Ultravid I bought from out of US, no problems there, but I don’t know if they would repair no fault issues.

While I agree with your assertion about 'customer confidence' the fact is that Swarovski has a reputation built on years of supplying first class and reliable instruments and it is this reputation that has built up their sales.

And BTW I do not own any Swarovski optics.
I think we're saying the same thing here, as reputation builds confidence for them, and yet reputation should seldom be confused with superiority, or lack thereof.

I could very well have found myself owning nothing but Swarovski, Zeiss, Meopta, Nikon or many others, but was attracted to the combination of high quality, with a large emphasis on compactness. Having been led to Leica on those parameters, I also have one Swarovski which matched my preferences and it'd be just as likely to deny superiority of Leica based solely on that same specious claim of sales numbers = best product status.

I am be taking the plunge and purchasing either the Leica Noctivid 10 x 42 or the Swarovski EL 10 x 42. Which binocular has the best build quality that will hold up very well
for many, many years? From the online research and You Tube videos I have been looking at of these 2 models, it seems the general thought is the Leica is best build, but I am
not sure if that is true or not.
So I have the Noctivid 8X42 and 10X42 AND a EL 8.5X42 and 10X42. In fact I used the Noctivid 8X42 only yesterday. The Swarovski EL models have a tremendous track record. The Noctivid since it's a newer model, not so much. I'm thinking the EL has been around since 1999-2000. It is an EASY choice to pick the Swarovski EL as the one that has the best likelihood of holding up for many, many years. No brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back