• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a 27/40/50 DS Wide Eyepiece (1 Viewer)

They're listed as "available" on the dutch Nikon site, but I've called around to several shops in my country and it doesnt seem to be available here either. I've actually ordered one for a birthday present, but it's in "back-order"
Tomorrow they should get a new shipment in, but I fear I'll get another excuse about not being able to deliver, after which I'll probably cancel my order.
I think Nikon is stopping making eye-pieces? I cant see any official statement saying though, but with the difficulties trying to actually buy one it would only seem logic. I wish someone could give a more or less official statement about it.

They're listed as "available" on the dutch Nikon site, but I've called around to several shops in my country and it doesnt seem to be available here either. I've actually ordered one for a birthday present, but it's in "back-order"
Tomorrow they should get a new shipment in, but I fear I'll get another excuse about not being able to deliver, after which I'll probably cancel my order.
I think Nikon is stopping making eye-pieces? I cant see any official statement saying though, but with the difficulties trying to actually buy one it would only seem logic. I wish someone could give a more or less official statement about it.

Thanks for the information. I think I found one on Cameraland NY.

Thanks for the information. I think I found one on Cameraland NY.

Did you already call to make sure they have one? They usually do not, but sometimes they find one somewhere.

You can also use Amazon.co.jp, which does seem to have them in stock. They don't ship internationally, though, so you have to use a forwarding service like Tenso.com. Basically you sign up with the forwarding service, which gives you a Japanese shipping address. Then you sign up with Amazon using that address and buy your product. Tenso receives the shipment and ships it to you for a fee (I think for me it was $30-40). That's how I got my eyepiece, the non-DS version of what you're looking for.

Since I already had that one bookmarked, I found the DS version for you here.

A little follow-up on my order in the Netherlands. No eyepiece as of today. I called the store what's keeping them so long (having placed my order on august 31st) and they didnt know. They contacted their supplier and apparently there's no known delivery date for this country.
So I just cancelled my order, guess I'll have to stick with the zoom eyepiece for now and maybe save up for the new swarovski atx instead ;)

Thank you LD. Looking good! I will probably order from JP. You are right Cameraland did not have it. I however bought a 30* from them at bargain! There are also ed50 without eyepiece. I am feeling that I will probably need ed50 only! (ed82 was on the way from Adoroma...)

MC or DS

Did you already call to make sure they have one? They usually do not, but sometimes they find one somewhere.

You can also use Amazon.co.jp, which does seem to have them in stock. They don't ship internationally, though, so you have to use a forwarding service like Tenso.com. Basically you sign up with the forwarding service, which gives you a Japanese shipping address. Then you sign up with Amazon using that address and buy your product. Tenso receives the shipment and ships it to you for a fee (I think for me it was $30-40). That's how I got my eyepiece, the non-DS version of what you're looking for.

Since I already had that one bookmarked, I found the DS version for you here.

LD: I know this has been discussed extensively and I have read many threads - still cannot decide: should I buy DS or MC of 27*? I wear glasses and am very short sight. I will probably use 27* for digiscoping in the future, but certainly not now...

I don't wear glasses and my only digiscoping has been a hand-held hack job, so I am not in a position to comment on that. The MC of course can be set for use with glasses, and others have said the DS is perfectly fine for non-digiscoping use. I don't know enough about digiscoping to know how much of a benefit the metal collar of the DS provides. Nikon makes fancy attachments that use it, but I don't know if those are compatible with non-Nikon cameras.

If you already have a nice Nikon camera that you might want to use for digiscoping, go with the DS. Otherwise it's up to you and whatever you've read elsewhere. I guess if you really can't make up your mind you could order both and sell whichever one you like least; given their rarity outside Japan you could probably make back what you spent on it.

I have both, and my simple answer is: Get the DS version if you always wear spectacles.
The twist-up eyecup of the MC version will always be in the collapsed position if you use spectacles, so it is completely redundant for you to use the MC version.

//L

Many thanks LD. I bought 27* MC on Amazon JP (even cheaper than its MC version) and also the body of ED50 (around usd360). I bought a demo of 30* wide DS in the States at around USd100. You cannot believe that I found a 75* DS wide on Chinese Taobao at less than USd100 (including postage). In mint condition and much better than 75* side of the MCII. Extensive research paid off! Your advise about amazon.jp and tenso is so helpful. A million thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back