• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for Binocular recommendations in the $300-$500 range. (1 Viewer)

Colin06

United States
Hello! I've decided to increase my budget a bit for a new pair of Binoculars. I currently own a pair of 8x42 Celestron Nature DX binoculars. They have served me well, but I figured it's time to upgrade. Do any of you have any recommendations in the $300-$500 range? I'm looking for a pair of 8x42 binoculars. I've been looking at the Nikon Monarch 7, Vortex Viper HD, and Kowa BD II. What are your opinions on them? Are there any others I should check out?

With every price range comes a certain set of compromises, both optical and mechanical, you just have to decide how many and which ones you are willing to accept.

Obviously the higher priced glass comes with both fewer and less significant ones.

Consider a used but better glass than you would be able to buy new. Spend the same money, but on a higher quality instrument.

When you say $300 to $500, you would be wiser to spend $500, rather than trying to get away with $300.

(Yust my opinion)

Consider a used but better glass than you would be able to buy new. Spend the same money, but on a higher quality instrument.
When you say $300 to $500, you would be wiser to spend $500, rather than trying to get away with $300.
"Spend the same money...on a higher quality instrument", is always my motto. Buy an expensive used item that can end up being worth the same if sold as it was when purchased. There are few ever items that will sell used for what their new price was, and the better a binocular one can buy, the less chance they'll want to sell it anyway.

Your timing is perfect as our Labor Day Sale runs through today so you can save some serious $$$$. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Is this going to happen more and more, every time someone asks an opinion which binoculars to buy, Camera land will chime in and say they’re having a sale 🤨.
We will chime in with info about a sale if we are running a sale at that time. As a long standing supporting vendor here it is always our pleasure to discuss different options and to give special pricing to the members here.

We will chime in with info about a sale if we are running a sale at that time. As a long standing supporting vendor here it is always our pleasure to discuss different options and to give special pricing to the members here.
Pleasure and Cameraland should never be used in the same sentence.

Pleasure and Cameraland should never be used in the same sentence.
What a childish and mean spirited statement. I think Doug toned it down quite a bit after he was soundly criticized in another recent thread for posting specs on items, and now only seems to be merely offering helpful advice as a very long standing member and contributor to BF who is very knowledgeable and helpful. I have dealt and talked with Doug for over 11 years and have benefited tremendously from his knowledge, insights and advice thru the years. Based on some of your posts I'm sure you understand how helpful advice and insights can be. I guess I'm having great trouble understanding why you find his post so objectionable, and would make a statement such as above?

Last edited:
What a childish and mean spirited statement. I think Doug toned it down quite a bit after he was soundly criticized in another recent thread for posting specs on items, and now only seems to be merely offering helpful advice as a very long standing member and contributor to BF who is very knowledgeable and helpful. I have dealt and talked with Doug for over 11 years and have benefited tremendously from his knowledge, insights and advice thru the years. Based on some of your posts I'm sure you understand how helpful advice and insights can be. I guess I'm having great trouble understanding why you find his post so objectionable, and would make a statement such as above?
Do we really want to open this can of worms. If I used different words of my disgust with this company , would that not have motivated you to disparage me. I’ve been buying products for 40 years of my life, dozens and dozens of purchases, and never came across a business like this. I deal with 3 of their competitors , if you want to call it competition for decades. And never ran into what transpired here.

I have never ran into the runaround and nonsense that I received from this company from anybody. I have no doubt that there are people who have no issues here, but I know there quite a few people that had issues with this local vendor. I believe I’ve read numerous posts over the years of people complaining about this company or that company. I’ve also received PM’s on this company as well. I don’t think I was out of line. But I’ll choose my word more carefully next time.

Hello! I've decided to increase my budget a bit for a new pair of Binoculars. I currently own a pair of 8x42 Celestron Nature DX binoculars. They have served me well, but I figured it's time to upgrade. Do any of you have any recommendations in the $300-$500 range? I'm looking for a pair of 8x42 binoculars. I've been looking at the Nikon Monarch 7, Vortex Viper HD, and Kowa BD II. What are your opinions on them? Are there any others I should check out?

What I would ask myself is what my current binoculars are not doing well and remedy that. Do you need better performance in low light conditions? More magnification? Less weight? More eye relief? Wider field of view? Closer minimum focus distance? Waterproofing? Are you just looking to treat yourself to the best because you want to and have the means?

Binoculars aren’t like some other products where the quality varies greatly with price. A $2K pair is not that much better than a $500 pair in most conditions. Think of them more like gemstones. Yes, a perfect diamond is worth many (many) times more than a slightly flawed one but without a loupe no one will be able to tell the difference on your wife’s finger. Likewise, while a $500 pair will probably be better than your Nature DX it might actually be the same or worse depending on your needs.

So unless you want to have something better just to say you have had the experience or maybe to acquire some bragging rights I would think about what your current pair could do better and shop based on that. There are some really good binoculars to be had these days that have specs which would have been unattainable to most people not too long ago.

What specifically did they do to disgust you so much?
Example. I just spent $1600 on a riflescope. Bought fm them first time because they had last one in usa inventory. I called it in to confirm stock and do phone purchase. they mailed it to me across the continent via Ups Ground!!! Not sufficient padding and product box got one crushed corner. Box was not even taped tight. My regular suppliers would have, for same price, shipped 2nd day or next day at no extra cost properly packaged and protected. There ya go! Oh and they would email me a receipt pronto. I only got one in the box.
BAEA5F9D-69FF-4134-A714-267563499396.jpeg5CBCB587-9FCF-44DC-8BBC-7773D6DB9F95.jpeg

Example. I just spent $1600 on a riflescope. Bought fm them first time because they had last one in usa inventory. I called it in to confirm stock and do phone purchase. they mailed it to me across the continent via Ups Ground!!! Not sufficient padding and product box got one crushed corner. Box was not even taped tight. My regular suppliers would have, for same price, shipped 2nd day or next day at no extra cost properly packaged and protected. There ya go! Oh and they would email me a receipt pronto. I only got one in the box.
View attachment 1481297View attachment 1481298
Yup and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was not new in box and possibly a defective return. They try to sell as new or open box. I can’t even remember how many times after I posted my experience with Cameraland , how many people told me they had similar problems. I suspect this place will be out of business soon.

I had suggested B&H (among a few others) after being asked by a fellow BF member, who they should buy something from because they were considering Cameraland. They were disappointed because the product was defective, B&H sent him a label the same day and refunded his money within 24 hours of receipt,no questions asked. I believe he purchased something else from them. I’m not affiliated with that dealer , but that’s the way you do business.

Yup and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was not new in box and possibly a defective return. They try to sell as new or open box. I can’t even remember how many times after I posted my experience with Cameraland , how many people told me they had similar problems. I suspect this place will be out of business soon.

I had suggested B&H (among a few others) after being asked by a fellow BF member, who they should buy something from because they were considering Cameraland. They were disappointed because the product was defective, B&H sent him a label the same day and refunded his money within 24 hours of receipt,no questions asked. I believe he purchased something else from them. I’m not affiliated with that dealer , but that’s the way you do business.

well my sticker on box was unbroken and not resealed. but I will call the scope company and check the s/n when registering. Eurooptics and red hawk rifles is where I get my optics. normally.

well my sticker on box was unbroken and not resealed. but I will call the scope company and check the s/n when registering. Eurooptics and red hawk rifles is where I get my optics. normally.
Hopefully it is new and not damaged. Must be a nice scope, some pictures of your sport target scope would be nice. I’ve heard good things about red hawk. Good luck.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back