• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 8x24 Traveller BGA vs Leica Trinovid 8x20 BCA (1 Viewer)

Celes

Sweden
Hi!

I’m on the lookout for a durable pocket bino for birding/animal spotting/landscapes when hiking, travelling, cayaking, climbing - basically everyday adventuring.

I’ve tried out Zeiss VP - great in every way except for size and price - and Kowa SV II 8x25 - decent but looking for a little bit of an upgrade.

After researching a bit, it boiled down to two binos: Trinovid and Opticron Traveller (CL Curio is another great option but in Sweden they’re simply too expensive new and a non-existent used bino market.)

Do you have any recommendations, tips, other options or expertise in these two binos? I can’t seem to find any reviews of the Opticron Traveller despite its seemingly great specs, size, warranty and the fact that they’re made in Japan.

Cheers and happy holidays!

Hi!

I’m on the lookout for a durable pocket bino for birding/animal spotting/landscapes when hiking, travelling, cayaking, climbing - basically everyday adventuring.

I’ve tried out Zeiss VP - great in every way except for size and price - and Kowa SV II 8x25 - decent but looking for a little bit of an upgrade.

After researching a bit, it boiled down to two binos: Trinovid and Opticron Traveller (CL Curio is another great option but in Sweden they’re simply too expensive new and a non-existent used bino market.)

Do you have any recommendations, tips, other options or expertise in these two binos? I can’t seem to find any reviews of the Opticron Traveller despite its seemingly great specs, size, warranty and the fact that they’re made in Japan.

Celes,

I have an 8x21 and 10x25 Opticron Oasis DBA (now discontinued). Both are excellent optically for the price and very solidly built. Leica Trinovids are better optically as would be expected given the higher price, but are not waterproof so may be some slight risk for kayaking but you have probably read this in your research.

The 8x24 Traveller does look very interesting as it appears quite small for a 24mm and the eyecups flare outward at the top to mitigate the problem some have with small eyecups on pockets.The 3 mm EP would also be very helpful for active outdoor use including kayaking.

Mike

Hi!

Im not sure if you’re referring to the Trinovid HD or retro, the HD is water proof and rubber armored, the retro is not. That little Kowa is nice glass if you wanted something small. I’d recommend B&H photo or Adaroma in New York if you were considering a purchase on this side of the pond. I’ve bout thousands of dollars worth of equipment from both of them in last two years, and they are always a pleasure to deal with. If you’re considering one of them, send me a PM and I’ll refer you to somebody there that will give excellent service.

Paul

Gr8fuldog:
Missed this little bino. How do you rate it?

mwhouge:
Thanks for the input, Mike! I’m a little bit worried about the non-existent talk about the Traveller, especially by the birding community. Do you know if the Opticron brand is more focused on sporting events etc?

Paultricounty:
I really appreciate your advice! Unfortunately I live in Sweden and have realised that the binocular market is rather small compared to many other countries.
Sorry for my limited knowledge, but is there a Trinovid 8x20 HD and waterproof version? Is it called BCA?

Gr8fuldog:
Missed this little bino. How do you rate it?

mwhouge:
Thanks for the input, Mike! I’m a little bit worried about the non-existent talk about the Traveller, especially by the birding community. Do you know if the Opticron brand is more focused on sporting events etc?

Paultricounty:
I really appreciate your advice! Unfortunately I live in Sweden and have realised that the binocular market is rather small compared to many other countries.
Sorry for my limited knowledge, but is there a Trinovid 8x20 HD and waterproof version? Is it called BCA?
Yes , the Trinovid and Ultravid in 8x20, both excellent glass. The Opticron Traveler 8x24 is also very nice and compares well with the Trinovid, just not as refined as the Leica. I’ve tried most of them but I don’t get along well with the pockets. They’re very nice and the optics are wonderful , but for me seems like to much work every time I put them up to my eyes , I’m always chasing comfortable eye position. For me a nice light 8x30/32 is the happy medium. My favorite small pocketable bins are my 8x32 Ultravid, Swaro Habicht and Leica 7x35.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_7036.jpeg
    IMG_7036.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7038.jpeg
    IMG_7038.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7037.png
    IMG_7037.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
Celes,

mwhouge:
Yes , the Trinovid and Ultravid in 8x20, both excellent glass. The Opticron Traveler 8x24 is also very nice and compares well with the Trinovid, just not as refined as the Leica.

Paultricounty has extensive experience and since he finds the Traveler 8x24 compares well with the Trinovids that would be good enough for me to buy and try the Traveler in spite of the curious lack of reviews.

No worries. The Leica 8x20 models are either "Trinovid" or "Ultravid", there is no HD or HD+ model for the 8x20 (or 10x25). None of the Trinovid pockets are waterproof, only the Ultravids are. The Trinovid BCA is the rubber armored model as distinguished from the BC model which is the leatherette armored version (but now apparently discontinued sadly). Since you want to be able to use them for kayaking as well it may be best to go with a waterproof model, either the Traveler or Ultravid budget allowing. In addition to the lower price, the Traveler has the 3mm EP which most find easier to use than the 2.5mm EP of the Trinovids and Ultravids.

No affiliation with any. Good luck with the Quest.

Mike

Just an FYI according to the specs the kowa is heavy.

I too am still on the search for a high quality truly "pocketable" bino. My requirements are that it's light weight and has close minimum focus. I think the only one that truly fits the bill that I have yet to try is the 8x20 ultravid.

I look forward to reading where you land in your search. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great replies! I’m leaning towards the Opticron Traveler, but as you all know, choosing a binocular isn’t easy :)

While I have you on the thread: how “splash proof” is the Trinovid? Is it ok to use while raining (within reason of course) or do you have to put it in the bag as soon as you feel a few water droplets?

I tried out the Opticron 8x24 yesterday. Their eye relief was no good for me, even though 15mm is usually enough for my glasses. Oddly there wasn't enough focus overtravel to use without my glasses either. Not sure if there was something wrong with this sample or that's just how they are. I've never had that before though.

Sharpness was quite good and they were bright enough I guess, but I've been thoroughly spoiled by the Curio 7x21 and Zeiss pocket 8x25 so I was probably expecting way too much for the price point.

For context I find the Curio and the pockets much better than my ancient, battered and slightly wonky Monk explorer 7x26. Here, comparing the Opticron 8x24 to the Monk explorer 7x26 I much preferred the 7x26. Probably still an unfair comparison though.

Anyway, I suppose I rather optimistically hoped they'd be like the Opticron Aurora and punch above their weight into the alpha pocket territory, just with a smaller field of view and more basic build quality.

Probably my underwhelm-ment (is that a word?) was rather misplaced, especially as they didn't work with my glasses the already small FOV looked particularly shriveled and sorry for itself. They were a lot better without my glasses, or rather they would be If I could focus on anything.

If you've got much more realistic expectations than me though and maybe don't need glasses you might well find them spot on for the price.

incidentally, I used my Leica Retrovid 7x35's right after this little test and my eyes nearly popped out of my head at how mind blowingly good the view was.

Sorry, that's no help at all is it.

I just had another play with the Opticron 8x24, as one does on Christmas morning, and actually they are pretty nice really, very good sharpness.I doubt you'll find a better compact for the price, not if you want this small anyway.
Such a shame they are no good with my glasses or I'd probably keep them.

You make my choice much harder (but probably better in the long run 😄) Thanks for the detailed review!
I don’t know if it’s the Christmas spirit, but I began wondering just how good a Curio or Trinovid is compared to the Opticron. It might be smarter in the long run to just buy a binocular you can have for 10-15 years? I guess the warranty is good for both the Curio and Trinovid?

Thanks for all the great replies! I’m leaning towards the Opticron Traveler, but as you all know, choosing a binocular isn’t easy :)

While I have you on the thread: how “splash proof” is the Trinovid? Is it ok to use while raining (within reason of course) or do you have to put it in the bag as soon as you feel a few water droplets?
Celes, I don't have any long term personal experience with how splash proof the TVs may be. But for context I have purchased several used Leitz (90's vintage) and Leica TV and all are in excellent condition optically and functionally, no fungus etc. But generally waterproof is better than not, especially in view of your kayaking.

I don’t know if it’s the Christmas spirit, but I began wondering just how good a Curio or Trinovid is compared to the Opticron. It might be smarter in the long run to just buy a binocular you can have for 10-15 years? I guess the warranty is good for both the Curio and Trinovid?

That may be a good way to look at your decision. When you amortize the higher cost of a better bin over 10 or 15 years of use it begins to make more sense, especially with a pocket that you may use more often and in differing situations. If you start with a high end pocket that you like, you only need to buy once. But if you go for a lower price initially, and eventually want to upgrade, you have to buy twice.

Based on your latest input and my experience and personal preferences, I vote for the Curio. Again the Kayaking tips the balance here in steadier view, more FOV more DOF, brighter and more user friendly EP. An UV 8x20 would be my number 2 recommendation.

Merry Christmas

Mike

Thanks Mike, sounds reasonable. The bino will be used mostly for everyday walks, hikes, climbs (why I need the durability and - hopefully not used too often - a good warranty) and now in the immediate future, while I walk the baby stroller while on parental leave. Cayaking/canoeing will happen, but not primarily.

I found a deal on a UV 8x20 BL that puts the price the same as the Curio - so I’m curious why you rate the Curio higher than the UV in my case?

I found a deal on a UV 8x20 BL that puts the price the same as the Curio - so I’m curious why you rate the Curio higher than the UV in my case?
I'm also considering the UV 8x20 once I've returned the Opticron 8x24 as I'm now in the market for another compact.

I've owned both the Zeiss pocket 8x25 and the Curio ( both foolishly sold)so am tempted by something different rather than either of those again. I consider them both equal but different by the way, both proper mini alphas.

I've never owned an 8x20 though so am a bit concerned the UV will be much more fiddly, less bright and relaxed than the larger exit pupil models. It's hard to see how it could be anything otherwise to be honest but still I find myself tempted to give them a go. They'll make such a cute pairing with my 7x35 Retrovid's too!

In the UK the UV 8x20 has £125 off at the moment so that makes them considerably cheaper than the Curio or the Zeiss.

Another possible option could be one of the reverse compacts such as the Nikon Travelite Ex or Opticron Taiga. I once owned an Olympus PCI 8x25 reverse porro and that was very good. Those options are not as compact though and other than the Nikon are not waterproof either.

The Trinovid 8x20 is just £360 in the UK at the moment but I doubt they'd work for me personally. I tried the Zeiss Terra 8x25 once too but wasn't that impressed.

I'm also considering the UV 8x20 once I've returned the Opticron 8x24 as I'm now in the market for another compact.

I've owned both the Zeiss pocket 8x25 and the Curio ( both foolishly sold)so am tempted by something different rather than either of those again. I consider them both equal but different by the way, both proper mini alphas.

I've never owned an 8x20 though so am a bit concerned the UV will be much more fiddly, less bright and relaxed than the larger exit pupil models. It's hard to see how it could be anything otherwise to be honest but still I find myself tempted to give them a go. They'll make such a cute pairing with my 7x35 Retrovid's too!

In the UK the UV 8x20 has £125 off at the moment so that makes them considerably cheaper than the Curio or the Zeiss.

Another possible option could be one of the reverse compacts such as the Nikon Travelite Ex or Opticron Taiga. I once owned an Olympus PCI 8x25 reverse porro and that was very good. Those options are not as compact though and other than the Nikon are not waterproof either.

The Trinovid 8x20 is just £360 in the UK at the moment but I doubt they'd work for me personally. I tried the Zeiss Terra 8x25 once too but wasn't that impressed.
I have and use the UV8x20, I think most of the reviews say the Zeiss or swaro options are better but they are bigger. If being pocketable is an important requirement than the UV820 is the best option, if you don't need as small as possible then the curio or 8x25VP probably are better. For me size was the most important factor so I was happy to compromise, they are great and can fit in a trouser pocket so means even on a stroll I can have some bins with me, any bigger and they would get left behind.

Happy Boxing Day to you both!

Thanks Mike, sounds reasonable. The bino will be used mostly for everyday walks, hikes, climbs (why I need the durability and - hopefully not used too often - a good warranty) and now in the immediate future, while I walk the baby stroller while on parental leave. Cayaking/canoeing will happen, but not primarily.

Based primarily on my experience and preferences, for your purposes I lean toward the Curio as the larger EP, greater FOV and DOF, steadier and slightly brighter image make it easier to use for outdoor activities. That said as you are considering the UV BL model, it is a very close run thing. The UV does have better close focus and the BL is slightly smaller and handier "in and out of a pocket" than the either the UV BR version or the Curio.

Right an UV 8x20 will be a bit more demanding to use than either the Zeiss VP 8x25 or the Curio and the image is slightly less bright in direct comparison. However the UV BL version would be a capital complement to your Retrovid in terms of style.

The Trinovid 8x20 does have slightly less eye relief than the UV, making it a bit harder for me to use with glasses.

Mike

Thanks Mike and GreenRooky for your advice.
Tough decision.
Happy boxing day too!
And of course best of luck on whatever decision you make Celes. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the great replies! I definitely have some thinking to do. Leaning towards the Curio though. Will let you know.

Happy holidays and god fortsättning!

I'm also considering the UV 8x20…though so am a bit concerned the UV will be much more fiddly, less bright and relaxed than the larger exit pupil models.
That’s all fairly accurate and also why I tend to think of the Curio as a better choice for many, though not all. I like them a lot and they became my favored daily binocular for a brief term before being once again replaced by the little Ultravids, which are still to this day the only binocular I have multiples of, and I know of at least one other member here who has more than one pocket-sized Ultravid as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back