• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looks like prothonotary warbler? NY, USA (1 Viewer)

jamerbean

Country Bird in the City
Today in Central Park I saw a VERY bright yellow bird that I believe was some kind of warbler. I wasn't able to observe it for very long, the only field marks I was able to make a mental note of were the plain yellow head, chest, and belly and gray wings.

I watched it as it flew off and it land on the branch of some weeping willow-type tree and assumed it was foraging, but then I saw that there was a nest hidden in the branches that were hanging over the lake.

Which would be a very nice part to add to the story if all the guides I'm looking through didn't say prothonotary warblers nested in cavities instead of building hanging nests.

So does anyone have any idea what looks similar to a prothonotary warbler but builds a nest like I described?

I'd guess that either it was a poorly seen yellow warbler or goldfinch, or that it wasn't actually nesting, in which case it could be prothonatary, wilson's, blue-winged etc.

It definitely had no chest streaking so I'm assuming it wasn't a yellow warbler, although the wings being a dull/darker yellow instead of gray is possible since I saw it in the shade. It still seemed very bright yellow, much brighter than yellow warblers, though. It may also be that it just happened to land near the nest I saw, since I also didn't see it emerge from or enter the nest.

Too many variables, dangit!

Too many variables, dangit!

Too true. Welcome to the world of birding. :stuck:

Lack of streaks certainly doesn't eliminate female Yellow Warbler; and the habitat you describe is absolutely perfect for them. Around here, in spring, find a Willow tree, there's a better than even chance it will have a Yellow Warbler in it ...

However, if it turns out that the nest you saw is the nest of the bird in question, I would consider Larry's suggestion - they are such a tiny bird, for an oriole. I don't know if there are breeding Orchard Orioles in Central park, but it wouldn't surprise me; I can be pretty sure, however, that there's no habitat for Prothonotarys there! They are pretty fussy about their nesting requirements.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back