• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

This is also a feature in winter when say there can be 1, or 2 at a stretch at Musselburgh and just 1 at Seton Sands with none or very few elsewhere in East Lothian, but at Barnbougle counts ranging from 20-70 are the norm in winter.

This is I am sure due to this species wintering habits within the Central belt of Scotland, with large numbers wintering at Strathclyde Park and elsewhere in winter, perhaps Barnbougle is on the edge of this wintering range!
However, this does not explain the fact that in early spring a large build up not seen elsewhere in Lothian occurrs at this site!

You're right it is a very curious phenomenon - but during winter I guess it's partly that east of Musselburgh there is no reason for LBB to be present, with no major artificial food sources beyond Edinburgh, whilst the Barnbougle crew must presumably have some good feeding somewhere inland. I wonder if any go to the landfill by the M8 at Polmont, in Forth - only about 10 miles west, not far for a gull commute? Never been there specifically to look for gulls but have heard of large numbers in that general area, and around Winchburgh.

The spring build-up may be a separate factor. I saw a report of 200 LBB high N over Penines last wk, mentioned on blog, so some must come directly north overland whilst others clearly pass along the coast. Maybe they congregate initially where they find others, or maybe many are en route to NW Scotland or beyond where they breed?

Good gull numbers at Seton tonight - 2k small gulls on beach, 80% BHG and nearly half with full hoods now; another c. 3.5k small gulls on sea, with c. 100 Herring Gulls and a single LBB; could not really check those on the sea properly due to fading light by the time I arrived. Suffice to say no rarities were apparent...

ell be be gee

The Lbb Gulls back opposite my window in Musselburgh , on the roof, for the annual square off with the local Herring Gulls. Gotta feel sorry for the Herrings, they have struggled here all winter only to see their nest-site challenged again by those southern winterers! ;) Some years the Herrings win, some years they don't.

Of course, this town nesting is quite a new phenomenon for both species here in Musselburgh!

Cheers G

re spring passage LBB

I was wondering today about the spring peak at Barnbougle that is not seen elsewhere in Lothian, in that a bird such as the LBB will approach southern Britain from its wintering grounds of Spain, Portugal and North Africa, and then perhaps take a more westerly route through Britain, rather than up through the Channel and up into the North Sea.
If this is the case then perhaps this might shed some light on the fact that very few LBB,s are occurring east of Edinburgh at the moment, but are filtering into the west of Edinburgh via the Central Belt.
Just a thought, but it might all be a pile of crap:-O

PS. Does anyone know of any decent rubbish dumps in Lothian, aside from the Skateraw one (where I always see nothing)?

Reported Y.L. Gull at Seton roost today, any more info, is it a definite? Sound observer. Still need it for Scotland (!)

So do I - last September's Seton bird rejected by SBRC!

As expected, given I did have full details of primary tips and photos in support but quality of said photo was not great and the issue of whether it could be certain it was P5 that had the band on it on a moulting bird mentioned, plus it's apparent short-legged appearance, etc.

I do accept the issue about being 100% cast iron certain which primary tip is which on a photo and it seems to me it will be impossible to get a record accepted with photos of merely part spread wings whatever the quality - a quality photo of the fully spread wing is almost always going to be essential. Which certainly puts the bar up high - from my submitted description I made notes of primary tips details based on watching it for over 100 minutes on 4 dates, on one occasion at c. 100m, and took stacks of (poor) photos but still could not get a good one of the fully spread wing. Frustratingly I got one flight shot but the primary tips were just off!

It's quite interesting reading this thread because here in the west coast LBB's and Herring Gulls are practically interchangeable, they're often seen in mixed flocks or alternately in flocks of one or the other right through the year.

The LBB's have nested right in the centre of Glasgow - there used to be a few pairs who nested on the roof of a car park, and I used to watch them swooping on people as they came to get their cars (this was a place where there were spaces right at the top).

If I'm out in town at the pub or whatever, then LBB's and Herring Gulls are both frequently seen in the middle of the night feeding on food and other rubbish thrown away or dropped by thousands of people on a night out, it's quite surreal seeing white spectres floating against the night sky.

If I look out my window, there's almost always one gull of one type or the other in view, sometimes flying high overhead, sometimes feeding locally.

Does anyone know of any decent rubbish dumps in Lothian, aside from the Skateraw one (where I always see nothing)?

Tynecastle ;).......Seriously though there are always loads of gulls milling around the dump that is off the Lasswade Road about half a mile after the bypass-only problem is it is raised and I have not seen any good access points on a busy road

PS. Does anyone know of any decent rubbish dumps in Lothian, aside from the Skateraw one (where I always see nothing)?

I'm sure you know Roslin (Oatslie) - not sure if that's what Mark is referring to but you can get a reasonable view by pulling in at a gateway just off the B7026 into Auchendinny (at NT256626) - especially if there's a roosting flock in the field on the west. I believe Glaucous has been seen there in previous years, but numbers are not huge - all dumps operate bird scaring anyway don't they?

I'm sure you know Roslin (Oatslie) - not sure if that's what Mark is referring to but you can get a reasonable view by pulling in at a gateway just off the B7026 into Auchendinny (at NT256626) - especially if there's a roosting flock in the field on the west. I believe Glaucous has been seen there in previous years, but numbers are not huge - all dumps operate bird scaring anyway don't they?

Different place Stephen but remember passing there as well

From another Edinburgh invader (from the (far) west) and to add to your theory Cal, I had a late afternoon visit to the east coast on Friday where I counted a grand total of six LBBG. Two at the Whitesands quarry pond, one at the Skateraw dump, one north off Skateraw and two north off Dunbar. One was over Liberton Brae on the same day.

To-day at least four were hanging around the Straiton area.

NM

From another Edinburgh invader (from the (far) west) and to add to your theory Cal, I had a late afternoon visit to the east coast on Friday where I counted a grand total of six LBBG. Two at the Whitesands quarry pond, one at the Skateraw dump, one north off Skateraw and two north off Dunbar. One was over Liberton Brae on the same day.

To-day at least four were hanging around the Straiton area.

NM

Very interesting that from Skateraw dump you only had one LBB from the presumably thousands of Herring Gulls present at a time when LBB,s are on the move, perhaps as you say Norman adding to my theory.

Thanks to all the others who replied, I had written up a very long reply only for me to hit the wrong button on my laptop and thus deleted the whole lot!!!
Off to bed me-thinks.

Tynecastle ;).......Seriously though there are always loads of gulls milling around the dump that is off the Lasswade Road about half a mile after the bypass-only problem is it is raised and I have not seen any good access points on a busy road

I thought that particular dump had closed , visited it a few times in its prime, couple of Glaucs on offer then. The raised areas was the dump that has been grassed over with methane ventilation pipes put in place.
Perhaps another area within the site has been opened up.

West Lothian

I thought that particular dump had closed , visited it a few times in its prime, couple of Glaucs on offer then. The raised areas was the dump that has been grassed over with methane ventilation pipes put in place.

Follow this forum with interest. Just out of interest I live in Livingston and there are large numbers of LBB'S here. I noticed them last Monday and the numbers have creaped up and up. 2am over 30 at Huston Industrial Estate on the grass area. Coming home late noticed them. I know its not your area but thought you might want to know.

You may be right ,Calum, haven't passed there for a while. It would be strange for Oatridge to be open as well being so close

Follow this forum with interest. Just out of interest I live in Livingston and there are large numbers of LBB'S here. I noticed them last Monday and the numbers have creaped up and up. 2am over 30 at Huston Industrial Estate on the grass area. Coming home late noticed them. I know its not your area but thought you might want to know.

Hi Tupelo,

Very interesting perhaps this again is further proof to my theory.

cheers:t:

PS Although I dont frequent Livingston at all as I tend to go east for my birding, it is still in Lothian however, so if you were ever to get something like a Laughing Gull through there I might just join you.;)

Thanks for this info - very interesting that you saw them in the early hours. Can't be anything to do with Calum's roost, then, but what do you think they were up to - is there free food nearby?

In the depths of winter large gulls can of course be seen in urban areas getting food, as daylight hours are short, and equally during breeding, but in early March I'd have thought most/many sensible gulls would be roosting at night, particularly if the have just arrived from southern climes...

Well I made the effort today, I looked at the skies! No Alpine Swifts though.;)

A look round the river Esk was rubbish, no Sand Martins, and no Wheatears or Sandwich Terns at Musselburgh, no nothing!

Late (normal) Spring, yes way!

Cheers G

Last edited:
First time out birding locally for ages. A chiffchaff in song whilst out getting the paper and rolls was a first migrant for me for this year.

I went up to Faseny at lunchtime with my brother-last year I had a ring ouzel on 20/3. None about today-still patches of snow clinging on. 7 or 8 mipits about, 5 pied wagtails and a solitary stonechat were about it. On to the east coast to see the 2 shorelarks just off the A1 at the Skateraw turn off. Probably the best views I've ever had of one of my favourite birds. We were able to stand behind the hedgerow and watch them for ages at 7-8 metres distance-superb.

Heard there were black redstarts at Torness and Dunbar too today

I too made it out to the coast today, even managed to get to Thortonloch for about 06:45! A fairly productive morning despite the blustery NW wind. Sand Martins and Mipits moving steadily NW all morning, with the max of the former being c40 at Seafield Pond, and the latter estimated at approx 150 per hour between 07:00 - 09:00. 5 Wheatears & a female type Black Redstart at Torness (at opposite ends of the walkway), the Shore Larks for the 2nd time this week by the A1, BN Grebe in Skateraw Harbour, the Water Pipit now attaining some summer plumage + 2 SNOBs at Barns Ness & a lovely bacon and egg sandwich from the deli in Dunbar :eat:

Then it all went down hill, with Homebase, Sainsburys & IKEA in the afternoon :C.

Year list now on 129 self found, with a further 11 to make it 140 all in - I know this lead won't last, but Scotty you are way back in the distance at the moment fella ;)

Mike

Year list now on 129 self found, with a further 11 to make it 140 all in - I know this lead won't last, but Scotty you are way back in the distance at the moment fella ;)

Mike

Praying for a good spring mate, added wheatear & sand martin today, also have yellow hammer to add but I havent been near my other computer yet that I store my list on, so i dont know what my total is so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back