• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

Can't tell whether that was ironic or not... I haven't caught up with a wood warbler in Lothian for years myself and that was a migrant along the coast. Pretty sure they used to sing in the Hermitage and up at Craiglockhart tennis centre - 10-15 years ago - is that right?

Anyone go for the WT Robin today? Missed it in Turkey myself so wouldn't mind one a little closer... Anyone checked the coast recently?

Geoff

Can't tell whether that was ironic or not... I haven't caught up with a wood warbler in Lothian for years myself and that was a migrant along the coast. Pretty sure they used to sing in the Hermitage and up at Craiglockhart tennis centre - 10-15 years ago - is that right?

Anyone go for the WT Robin today? Missed it in Turkey myself so wouldn't mind one a little closer... Anyone checked the coast recently?

Geoff

Neither can I Geoff, but having 'done' The Den every day for about 2 1/2 weeks this year, if it was it wasn't well founded ;). Thankfully from a year list perspective I managed to see one at Cameron Toll on passage because I'd given up hope of one being in old breeding habitat (and yes I've finally given in and decided I probably am doing one this year.....up til now self denial I think).

As for the Robin - I went today and had stunning views before the evening shenannigans using ladders, vans, lorries, etc to see over walls (it's on You Tube if you haven't seen it already). I'd seen them myself in Turkey before, but it's a mythical one to see on our shores for sure.

Did the coast between Skaters & Barns Ness yesterday and it was dead - TO'C was also out and I don't think he had anything either. As is so often the case, the big one travels alone, and bar a few Red-backed Shrikes found today, there certainly doesn't appear to have been a fall.

I couldn't get to Cameron Toll that day, frustrating since it is just down the road. Pretty busy workwise for the forseeable so now thinking I'll probably draw a blank on woowa this year. Didn't get one at my dead cert site in Wales this year either which is worrying...

Noticed your yearlist increasing exponentially, so reckoned you might be taking it a bit more seriously and good stuff on the WTR - I have no chance of getting that - unless it does a good deal of the travelling first!

Geoff

Thanks for all your support on wood warbler in lothian ;-)

Sorry to hear you have missed out on these :( I was thinking it had been not too bad a spring for migrants, with singles Muss golf course 27 Apr & 1 May, Inch 6 May and Firhill 8 May (details per LBN links) - though clearly they were not easy/impossible to catch up with. But the continued trend of decline of resident breeders is not good - can't be surprising though with such tiny numbers and a long term decline such that the remnants are truly isolated, once gone chances of recolonising same sites may be be low.

Went to Musselburgh this afternoon where I immediatly had a sinensis Cormorant, however within five minutes I had to dash off for a certain Aberdonian scoter8-P

Nice one and fair enough since you were in the area ;)

Once again I have no chance of travelling, just too busy with work. Might see it if it hangs around for a month...

Where was your sinensis? I thought I had one at Muss the other week sitting on the metal pole/platform in the sea that is visible from the hides over the back of the scrapes. I walked round to the coastal path for a closer look but couldn't nail it as the light was disappearing fast and it wasn't very cooperative. I reckoned a carbo was more likely in that habitat, but...

Geoff

Nice one and fair enough since you were in the area ;)

Once again I have no chance of travelling, just too busy with work. Might see it if it hangs around for a month...

Where was your sinensis? I thought I had one at Muss the other week sitting on the metal pole/platform in the sea that is visible from the hides over the back of the scrapes. I walked round to the coastal path for a closer look but couldn't nail it as the light was disappearing fast and it wasn't very cooperative. I reckoned a carbo was more likely in that habitat, but...

Geoff

I had it again this morning (Monday) sat on the sewage outfall pipe directly opposite the scout hut at high tide (as it was doing the previous day with 3 carbo's), it then flew right after a while and I never saw it again.
Also 7 Manxie offshore as well as Velvet & Common Scoter but nothing untoward with them.

Lots of small waders on the saltmarsh at JMCP by Dunbar this morning. Unfortunately lots of dogs too. About a 50/50 mix of dunlin and ringed plover for the 300 birds. In amongst them were 3 curlew sandpipers and a juvenile little stint. Also a little egret in the bay and a juvenile yellow wagtail out at the point

I went for a walk along Dunbar beach with my wife-except the tide was too high to allow access across the briidge. So we went along the saltmarsh and stopped for 15 minutes to look at the waders. Again very good numbers. I counted 12 curlew sandpipers and 3 little stints in amongst the large numbers of dunlin and ringed plover. Bumped into Calum and gang-he reckoned maybe as many as 14 curlew sands. They also picked up a little ringed plover

Little egret still at Tyninghame on Wednesday at evening high tide. As a newbie I am pleased also to be able to identify the hundreds of goosanders and not confuse them with mergansers

Hi folks

I'm going to be in Edinburgh next week for a couple of days for work. If I am fortunate and my first meeting doesn't drag on too long I may have a bit of time to spare in the afternoon/evening and I was wondering about heading into East Lothian for a spot of birding. Where would you recommend? Are there still any Curlew Sands about anywhere? Anything else worth seeing? I haven't really birded in that area before, so the more info the better!

Thanks in advance.

Hi folks

I'm going to be in Edinburgh next week for a couple of days for work. If I am fortunate and my first meeting doesn't drag on too long I may have a bit of time to spare in the afternoon/evening and I was wondering about heading into East Lothian for a spot of birding. Where would you recommend? Are there still any Curlew Sands about anywhere? Anything else worth seeing? I haven't really birded in that area before, so the more info the better!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I was at Tyninghame this am and it was just stuffed with small waders. From my sheltered vantage point I counted 28 curlew sands and 3 little stints+ruff+black tern+black tailed godwit and peregrine taking a wader-that was only part of the saltmarsh so there were probably many more curlew sands. Here's todays Birdinglothian report.

At Tyninghame 3 Little Stints (+ 30 Curlew Sandpipers) early a'noon on saltmarsh N of toilet block at JMCP + 2 Spotted Redshanks ( + Green Sandpiper. 3 Ruff. Yellow Wagtail) reported again in flooded field off the A198 c1km N of Tyninghame Village along Limetree Walk late morning NT613804 + 2 Little Egret inner bay + Great Northern Diver off St Baldred's Cradle. On the S side of Scoughall a Black Tern today Peffer Burn Mouth. In Aberlady Bay 2 Little Egrets ( + 4 Black-tailed Godwit. 4 Ruff. 2 Pintail) again this evening. On the NW side of Edinburgh Spotted Redshank (+ Black-tailed Godwit. 5 Greenshank) today in Cramond at River Almond Mouth + Scaup (7 Boxie. 6 Arctic Skua) off shore. In Gosford Bay 4 Red-necked Grebe (+ 2 Arctic Skua) this evening off Ferny Ness + 2 ad. Med Gull nearby at Seton Sands Burn Mouth. At Musselburgh 4+ Curlew Sandpiper (+ 9 Ruff. 6 Whimbrel. 2 Black-tailed Godwit. Little Gull) on wader scrapes early morning + Slavonian Grebe off shore.

Some pictures from yesterday at John Muir Country park-thanks to Bruce Kerr

Attachments

• ruff 20110903 1.jpg
    ruff 20110903 1.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 86
  • little stint 20110903 1.jpg
    little stint 20110903 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 91
  • curlew sandpiper 20110903 2.jpg
    curlew sandpiper 20110903 2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back