• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

Sorry to be spamming this thread but could someone tell me where the list of description species is? I've had a look about for it but can't find it.

Sorry to be spamming this thread

If anyone has been spamming the thread its me!

The rare stuff is done really well elsewhere (thanks to Kris et al.) but I was thinking that I was not really hearing much about day-to day birding in Lothian. I thought this thread would be a good place to share reports in the hope others would do so again... :t:

Moorfoots, Lammermuirs, Straiton

Up early and out to the hills for a few hours in the morning. Three Black Grouse obliged by sitting in the verge next to the road after I'd spent about an hour drawing a blank. They sat briefly until the car drew level - as it had to at some point... At Middleton Pond +25 Teal still in residence but still no luck scoping for Jack Snipe from the car.

Past Fala village there were lots of gulls in evidence in the fields. I did some scanning. The only bird of note was a hybrid LBBxHerring Gull. I wasn't really hoping for a YLG inland but the reality is I'm birding inland to get away from these hybrid gulls! So - mid-tone grey uppers - relatively nice band on P5 but the grey tongues cutting into the black wingtips are just too extensive on P6 and P7 for this to be a Yellow-legged Gull. It was a yellow-legged gull though, as if that is consolation.

The Lammermuirs were dead it has to be said. Not a single raptor sighted once I got into the hills proper. Very disappointing. In the foothills it was nice to hear Skylarks, Lapwings and Snipe chippering. In a week or so the Ring Ouzels will be back... On the way back I checked an area between Garvald and Haddington for Grey Partridge and was happy to see a pair along with 20 Tree Sparrows.

Late afternoon I headed to Straiton marsh with my wellies. I don't visit this site very often but always think it would make a great local patch if it wasn't for the traffic. A quick circuit revealed at least 50 Common Snipe, 3 Jack Snipe, 1 Teal and a squeal from a Water Rail. That's the most Jack Snipe I've seen here and the third Water Rail site I've come across in almost as many outings. It seems to be a good winter for them.

Attachments

• IMG_7145.jpg
    IMG_7145.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7251.jpg
    IMG_7251.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7187.JPG
    IMG_7187.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7183.JPG
    IMG_7183.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7211.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 46
Unfortunately I had to cancel through feeling unwell, so no trip to Lothian for me this weekend. It isn't an area I get the chance to visit too often so it is doubly frustrating.

Argh third attempt at typing this up. Top tip, don't make a post from your phone on here, one wrong move and you lose the whole thing. So highlights from today in the hermitage were nuthatch, treecreeper, usual dippers, skylark back on the field, kestrel catching a vole about 20 yards from me then flying onto the roof of the house in the center of the woods to eat it. Flock of 12 stock doves in the trees at the edge of the field. Single drake teal on the pond. Thisevening the water rail, in one of the outflows from the golfcourse (finally)!! Last bird of the day was a Great Spotted Woodpecker on the golf course. Total of 42 species in just over 2 hours looking, there's the challenge set let's see who can beat it.

Braidburn & Straiton Marsh

I like it - I'll be trying the Hermitage-2-hour-challenge sometime this week - split across a morning and late afternoon commute. 42 species looks like quite a tough opener though...

I had a short walk along the Braid Burn early afternoon. Nice close views of the Dippers and a Goldcrest the highlights. Wonder how long before there is a Chiffchaff singing away...

Late afternoon I popped up to Straiton marsh again. Only 1 Jack Snipe today but managed a record shot.

Attachments

• IMG_7258.JPG
    IMG_7258.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7263.JPG
    IMG_7263.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 40
I think I've only ever managed 42 species at Gladhouse so that'll be a challenge.

Today I was near Merchiston and didn't see anything of particular interest but was nice to see a pair of Buzzards being mobbed by gulls including a couple of Lesser Black-backed and also 1 hybrid Hooded x Carrion Crow with another more pure friend. Couple of Oystercatchers flying about too, possibly nesting in the area (?) and 1 flyover Pied Wagtail. No sign of the Grey Partridges from yesterday but another hybrid Crow, Lesser Black-backed Gull and a couple of Stock Doves in the Braid field added to the day list.
Anyone know when the Fulmars are likely to return to the crags? I'd read somewhere that it was around April/May but saw someone reported Fulmar over Holyrood a few weeks back on BirdTrack.

Had voluntary service in Holyrood Park today, did a few bird counts in three areas (more details about it on my blog). Today's highlight was definitely a singing Chiffchaff in a tree amongst the gorse at the side of the road on the east side of the park, first one of the year for me. Other notable sightings were a pair of Collared Doves which I suspect are going to nest there, as well as a pair of Sparrowhawks, 1 Buzzard, quite a lot of Greenfinches calling from the gorse, few butterflies out enjoying the relatively warm weather including Peacock and Red Admiral, also plenty bees out, 2 Meadow Pipits flew from Dunsapie Crag to Whinny Hill, and finally Sid and Sally the pair of Mute Swans on Dunsapie Loch followed me all the way round the loch.
Other than that, just plenty signs of spring. Lots of buds on trees, daffodils looking lovely, frogspawn in one of the little drainage streams, lots of arguing amongst Great Tits and Blue Tits, and managed to find 3 Magpie nests, and a Wren's nest site too.
Great weather provided a great day of birding :)

Forgot to add, also had a Woodcock flyover whilst I was walking back down the road, flying NNW from Dunsapie area towards St. Margaret's Loch.

Nice stuff Gus - I also had my first Chiffchaffs of the year this morning. One singing near the Scout Bridge and the other at Blackford Pond. A single Red-legged Partridge was the real highlight - yet to see the Greys there this year... Also 2 Canada Geese on Blackford Pond are new there for the year for me... Spring is springing...

Was passing Seafield this morning so I had a quick look offshore. The tide was further out than I've seen it here before which was slightly inconvenient. Scanned through several hundred gulls without any real success and then picked up a small number of straightforward coastal year ticks such as Fulmar.

Early evening I was in the hills briefly and was delighted to see and hear wing-clapping Short-eared Owl and then at a separate site a hunting Barn Owl. Not bad at all

Attachments

• IMG_7325.JPG
    IMG_7325.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Moorfoots/Gladhouse

Today turned out to be all about Black Grouse with a total of 8 different males recorded including a group of 5 together and some bonus close views. The individual here slowly moved toward the car giving better and better views. Watched that bird for 30 minutes and eventually drove off with it happily feeding in a field margin. Awesome birds - only one seen displaying today - I'd like to have caught the larger group lekking - by the looks of it several are 1st summer birds so signs of some recruitment to our tiny population.

Noticeable increase in Pied Wagtails across all areas today - they seemed to be everywhere whereas they have been quite scarce in these areas up to now. First songs today from Meadow Pipit and Linnet. I have to say I'm really enjoying birding in this area...

Here also is the gull highlight of the day from Mount Lothian - one of those salmon pink tinted Black-headed Gulls that pops up from time to time.

Attachments

• IMG_7449.jpg
    IMG_7449.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7462.jpg
    IMG_7462.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    448.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7377.JPG
    IMG_7377.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 67
Braidburn & Blackford Pond

Heard 5 singing Chiffchaffs this morning so they are clearly back in numbers now. Also 5 Grey Herons around the pond was probably the most I have seen at this site - obviously the frogs are spawning at the moment. Only a single pair of Tufted Duck lingering now.

Geoff

Will the Chiffchaffs be ones that have been keeping a low profile over winter or have come up here from south of the UK, or have migrated from Africa already? (I'm suspecting one of the first two)

Hermitage of Braid 2 hour challenge

I had some free time today so I went out at 2:50 with the intention of doing a 2 hour challenge in the Hermitage. Having seen James' impressive 42 species I wasn't that hopeful. I assumed that the field was counted in the Hermitage (I hope it is as it contributed a lot to my day list), so started there then went over Blackford Hill to the pond, round the hill and into the Hermitage and then back towards Blackford Glen Road. So, moment of truth... My grand total was... 44! Despite my total, I had a few glaring omissions: Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Sparrowhawk, and Kestrel. Still haven't managed to see the Water Rail, maybe this weekend. Anyway, here's the end list!

Goldfinch
Feral Pigeon
Carrion Crow
Linnet
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Stock Dove
Common Gull
Herring Gull
Starling
Woodpigeon
Rook
Magpie
Robin
House Sparrow
Long-tailed Tit
Great Tit
Pied Wagtail
Skylark
Jackdaw
Chaffinch
Meadow Pipit
Blackbird
Grey Heron
Moorhen
Buzzard
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Greenfinch
Wren
Blue Tit
Goldcrest
Bullfinch
Mallard
Mute Swan
Coot
Black-headed Gull
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Tufted Duck
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Coal Tit
Mistle Thrush
Dipper
Pheasant

Also, should add I think I saw a Sand Martin flying past my house in Liberton around 12:45, heading south-east. However, I've only ever sen them once before so I'm not confident in identifying them. It was definitely something I don't see often though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back