• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (2 Viewers)

Nice one Gus. I didn't actually intend for it to be a 2 hour challenge. That's all the time I had, was thinking just day total but maybe the 2 hours makes it more challenging and therefore fun. Yeah the field is in scope. I'd say all the area between braid hills road and blackford pond?

I liked the sound of a challenge! And that area sounds like a good size, plenty habitats too so probably get far more birds in the spring and summer. Was a bit disappointed with the poor turnout from the Nuthatches but I didn't stay very long in the right area as I knew Pheasant was guaranteed if I moved on back along Blackford Glen Road. Also still no sightings of the Grey Wagtails on Braid Burn!

Great stuff Gus - I have only managed a couple of single hours and managed 37 species walking through to work last week - like you I felt I had a few glaring omissions... Two species I haven't seen in the area for a while are Tree Sparrow or Yellowhammer - though I mostly used to see those up at Tower Farm area. I haven't seen the Water Rail again and wonder whether it has moved on to a more suitable breeding territory. It will probably be back - well I've seen one in 3 out of the last 5 winters in the area at least. Raptors also seem thin on the ground at the moment I'd say - single Kes and Sprawk only recently for me and haven't seen a Peregrine overhead yet this year. There have been lots of Green Woodpecker reports in Lothian so far this year - maybe one will rediscover the Hermitage this year?

Sand Martin is a great bird to see here I think. I've only had them once from the garden and never seen them along the Braid Burn area - but they must occur - maybe James has seen them down there more regularly? I did used to see them up at the Alnwickhill Water Treatment Works in late summer but without the water there don't think they'd be attracted to the area.

So, what might turn up in the area during April?

Obviously the returning warblers etc, and I have seen Wheatear in the field on a couple of occasions.

Ring Ouzel would be a patch tick for me and is reasonably likely in spring - I always look in the field with horses but have failed so far - I think that Buckstone Snab is probably a better bet but I'm rarely up there.

I've had Merlin and Osprey overhead already in previous years so I'm hoping for a Kite next - but any good raptor is always exciting. My most-wanted predatory type bird would be a Great Grey Shrike - not very likely I know but there is always a chance in all this gorse etc. More likely to be twitchable as well!

By the way I think that lots of our Chiffchaffs spend the winter in Iberia and that's why they can return so early. Mornings are best for them at this time of year I always think.

Last edited:
That makes sense re the Chiffchaffs. Hopefully the Tree Sparrows and Yellowhammers make a show further into the spring, along with some rarer birds!

Redeemed myself after yesterdays omissions; Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Treecreeper all seen plus some Redwings still sticking around. No luck with Nuthatches again. Had a very close encounter with a male Kestrel who decided to land 4 feet to my right where I suspect a pair may be nesting... Or maybe just prospecting but he stuck around for a while and stuck his head down the inside of the dead tree. Chiffchaffs calling by both Braid Hills Road and by the Scout Bridge in the Hermitage. Oystercatchers heard and seen flying around the King's Buildings, 1 Buzzard over the Scout Bridge, strange sighting of 2 Mallards in the middle of the Hermitage in a spot which is, at most, boggy, but definitely not suitable breeding habitat. 2 Dippers sitting side-by-side in the Braid Burn plus another on the golfcourse section, Kestrel seen for the third time in a day over the stables, and a possible Water Rail turned out to be another flipping Moorhen! But another great day of birding in the area, I should probably venture elsewhere really...

Aaand, the Roe Deer "herd" has increased to 6, had great views, from the top of the field with my scope, of them running the length of Craigmiller Golf Course :) This was whilst I was doing a bit of sky watching, not really any noticeable sightings, other than the Oystercatchers around King's Buildings, 1 male Sprawk flying over my shoulder, a Red Admiral, many Mipits, some Skylarks, a distant Buzzard over Holyrood, and an extremely distant juvenile Gull somewhere over Duddingston that I really wished was an Osprey.

Last edited:
No real time for birding this weekend but did pop over to one of the sites and saw 6 male Black Grouse together. Many Meadow Pipits in the area as well a Redshank nearby.

Highlights from a little walk around the Hermitage today included a Peregrine flyover, a very active male Kestrel, Dippers, quite a few appearances from a Buzzard, not seen but finally some sign that the Nuthatches are still about. Heard the pewpewpewpewpew of one of them but couldn't find it. And to finish off there was a pair of Mallards in the Braid Burn, I'm assuming it'll be the same pair I saw on Friday, maybe looking for suitable nesting habitat.

Another outing into the Hermitage today, hopefully Duddingston Loch tomorrow. Chiffchaff calling near Scout Bridge, 16 Greenfinches in total, and a pair of Treecreepers near the old quarry. Again only heard Nuthatch but this time on two occasions. Dippers doing their usual thing. Saw all three raptors today; 1 male Kestrel was very active, Buzzard over Scout Bridge, and female Sparrowhawk over Aggasiz Rock being mobbed by a Crow. Was trying to see small mammals again. Succeeded for once, some high pitched squeaking downstream of the Scout Bridge turned out to be Common Shrews as I found one if their runs inside an old tree stump. Had great views through the bins. Lots of owl pellets on that section too, 6 of them. Heard some gnawing for the first time as well, and continued hearing squeaking all along the south side of the burn downstream of the Scout Bridge. Best find of the day, however, came as I was walking back along Blackford Glen Road. I rarely look away from the burn on this section in the hope of seeing something good. It paid off; a female Goosander in the burn, flushed quickly after I saw it, wheeled around and I found it further downstream on the golf course! Patch tick number 52!

Edit: I meant patch tick number 64, was looking at the wrong list.

Last edited:
Braidburn, Blackford Pond & Hermitage

Commuted on foot and as a result had a couple of hours on patch today - 1 between 7 and 8am and another roughly between 6 and 7pm.

The first hour was particularly productive with lots of finches - Bullfinches seemed to be everywhere and had a flyover Siskin (N) and a Linnet on Blackford Hill. No Goosander but three Dippers and a Grey Wagtail in the burn and a Redwing is still lurking between Scout Bridge and the Pond. At Blackford Pond a dozen Canada Geese and my first Little Grebe of the year at this site.

For the return I went from the top end all the way through the Hermitage picking up a few species missed in the morning - Treecreepers at three different sites, a nice flock of Pied Wagtails, the Kestrel and bumping into Gus being the highlights.

I was quite surprised to find the total was 47 species!! I think 55 may be a possible maximum as I missed a few...

Species: Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Pheasant, Coot, Moorhen, Herring Gull, LBBGull, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove (2 in song), 2-4 GSW, Skylark, Mipit, Grey Wag, Pied Wag, Wren, Dipper, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Robin, Redwing, Blackbird, SThrush, MThrush, LTT, BlueT, GreatT, CoalT, Treecreeper, Nuthatch (2?), H Sparrow, Siskin, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Starling, Magpie, Jackdaw, Crow

Its probably old hat for locals, but how distant is the Musselburgh Surf Scoter usually? I might have a look on my way back south next week if its sometimes close inshore.

John

Its probably old hat for locals, but how distant is the Musselburgh Surf Scoter usually? I might have a look on my way back south next week if its sometimes close inshore.

John

John

I haven't seen it this winter but it is normally fairly distant - probably best viewed W of Musselburgh. I think there was another reported E of Muss yesterday as well, so you may have options...

Hopefully someone with more recent gen will post something...

Geoff

Moorfoots/Gladhouse

Nice early trip out this morning and was rewarded with a dozen Black Grouse at three different sites. Great lekking viewable from the car and great views of some greyhens as well, which doesn't always happen.

Other news would be the first Collared Doves penetrating in to the base of the hills for the year - they definitely seem to clear out of some areas for the winter. Also Shelduck apparently checking out some rabbit burrows... Redshank, Curlew, Snipe, Lapwing and Golden Plover all together on the muir just over the border into Borders.

Finally small numbers of Redpolls bombing around near Gladhouse. One of the ones that I saw perched was a dead cert Mealy Redpoll - if only such a thing existed - I'm afraid I'm definitely a lumper when it comes to these...

Nice early trip out this morning and was rewarded with a dozen Black Grouse at three different sites. Great lekking viewable from the car and great views of some greyhens as well, which doesn't always happen.

Were these all Lothian sightings Geoff? I've read your last few posts with interest.

I did a few tetrads in Borders region for the Atlas and have also walked and looked in the area in spring a number of times in the last few years. It has been clear that the Borders birds have had good breeding seasons in the last 3-4 years and at this time last year a drive in Borders region had 45 males at 7 sites with 17 at one site.

I got up early this am and almost did not set out as it was a real pea souper. However as the road rose well out of Edinburgh I climbed above this. I had a single male black grouse feeding near the road side and then 800m on a single bird bubbling away probably on his own-both on the Lothian side. The second bird was just in/out of sight so there might have been more. Just over in Borders region I had a lek of 3 and then things got a bit frustrating. as the road descended I was back in the pea soup. I heard birds at 3 sites but it was not until I got down really low that I saw another lek of 3. I had an SEO on a fencepost on the way back.

So a good if slightly frustrating morning and back to enjoy the 19 degrees in Edinburgh this pm!

How likely is it that this is a pure Hooded Crow? I don't think I've evr seen a hybrid that was this clearly marked. Seen in a field by the Hermitage.

Attachments

• P1090126.jpg
    P1090126.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P1090127.jpg
    P1090127.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 63
  • P1090129.jpg
    P1090129.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P1090130.jpg
    P1090130.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 46
How likely is it that this is a pure Hooded Crow? I don't think I've evr seen a hybrid that was this clearly marked. Seen in a field by the Hermitage.

Very unlikely unfortunately! Agreed clearly marked but not very striking though the light is poor - there is some pale at least in undertail but that needs a better view/photo.

NB - quite a number of the resident birds are indeed very Hoodie like but always given away by some dark in undertail, etc. Despite many claims this is a description species in Lothian and with only a handful of records accepted in recent years, and suspicion that some of those on the east coast may all relate to one bird. I do recall some strong claims from Edinburgh area (apart from the accepted record at Cramond) but suspect not submitted, would need to check on details. Some discussion of hybrids on the hybridbirds group (note the SOC image collection has expired, it would be useful to re-establish something like this!)

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye out for him when I'm next out. Need to check under tail, never knew to check it before now. There are a lot of hybrids that I see around Blackford/Braids/Mortonhall so I wouldn't be surprised if it was another one. Nice to see a bit of variation in an otherwise pretty birdless late evening walk though!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back