• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S.E. Florida migrating warblers/vireos (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

We're going through waves of migrating birds now, so I'm in that hectic run where I'm photographing lots of different species - most I know, but a few shots I either couldn't quite ID or just want to be sure my ID is correct. All shot yesterday...all help appreciated:

1. I think a northern parula:
original.jpg

2. Prothonotary warbler, pretty sure:
original.jpg

3. This one doesn't seem an exact match for my ideas - light was very difficult and distance challenging too at about 90 feet away...first thought was red-eyed vireo, but no white eyebrow above the black eye stripe. Next thought was immature or female prairie warbler but bill seems too long. Other ideas I entertained - Black-throated green immature? Magnolia immature?
B5227DFDC27D400899FD9AF364E3C3AC.jpg

Here's one more (link as it wouldn't let me post another) of this same bird if it helps the ID:

Thank you!

Anyone that knows Florida migrating birds who can help with the last ID especially, and confirm the other two, help would be appreciated!

Anyone that knows Florida migrating birds who can help with the last ID especially, and confirm the other two, help would be appreciated!
Well without certainty... I think the first 2 are correct. The 3rd might be black-throated green warbler. The main thing which looks "off" is the bill but that might be due to angle. It's roughly similar to this pic:

Black Throated Green Warbler 2020-4

(the yellowish rump looks very contrasting in your picture; the above similarly contrasts.)

Thank you - appreciate the input. That third one is tough because the conditions were terrible - he was deep in the trees and far off, so the light was very contrasty and despite daytime, it's at 600mm handheld and ISO 640 from about 80 feet or so. Black-throated green was definitely one thought - I pretty much was ruling out warblers as the bill looked too long. I definitely see a lot of the same patterns as your sample shot.

Thank you - appreciate the input. That third one is tough because the conditions were terrible - he was deep in the trees and far off, so the light was very contrasty and despite daytime, it's at 600mm handheld and ISO 640 from about 80 feet or so. Black-throated green was definitely one thought - I pretty much was ruling out warblers as the bill looked too long. I definitely see a lot of the same patterns as your sample shot.
Well pretty good photos either way!

Agree with Stu on the last image being Cape May. That white wing panel is good for the species, too, in addition to rump color and gray.

Iso 640 sounds pretty good to me! I was in Panama in August: many of my images were at iso 6400 and still underexposed.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back