• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LSE and bunting? bulgaria (1 Viewer)

DJ66

Hi Guys , Can anyone tell me
Is this a Lesser spotted eagle? there were about 16 of these in over one field today, fantastic to watch.
And is the other pic a Bunting of some kind?
hope you can help.
Added a 2nd pic of raptor hope it helps, sorry not better they stayed quite high up and when they were slightly lower they moved too fast.

Attachments

• lse-rs.jpg
    lse-rs.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 142
  • bunting-rsa.jpg
    bunting-rsa.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC02395a-rs.jpg
    DSC02395a-rs.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
i would agree it is a lesser spotted eagle but without seeing a clear picture of the head and beak i couldn't say for sure.

as for the bunting that's not a bird i am very familiar with but it may be a corn bunting the problem with that though is usually corn buntings have a lighter colored beak your bird has a very dark beak. a lot of buntings are a lot more colorful to.

hopefully someone with more bunting knowledge will reply

For the eagle, I am guessing Steppe, compare with this one http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=89148. Mind you, I am no expert ...

No idea of the little one

Niels

i considered the Steppe but the Steppe has a curved beak at the end and looks more menacing.

that's why i was saying that you would need a picture of the head and beak to be certain

it's possible that it is a young Steppe and that's why the beak isn't as curved yet

Last edited:
Neat head and bill and double carpal patch and short wings and chubby proportione gives LSE. The bunting is a yellowhammer IMO.

Assuming there were 16 identical eagles then Lesser Spotted would be the best guess. I think from what can be seen from the underside that it is an immature Lesser Spotted, though not sure what age.

The bunting appears to be a female Cirl Bunting to me, the 2nd commonest resident species in the country. The reddish rump and greenish mantle and head are better for that species than Yellowhammer.

Happy Birding

Sean

I think 3cy+ Lesser-spotted Eagle and agree, the bunting is a Yellowhammer for me also.

Edit: Considered Cirl, but didn't think the head was 'stripey' enough

Last edited:
Hi all,

Rufous upper tail is typical of Yellowhammer.

Shape of that eagle is definitely that of a Lesser Spotted despite spots in greater coverts that look like remiscent of the typical white bar of Steppe. This is due to moulting; this bird is immature and moulting towards adult plumage.

Cheers,

Point taken on the bunting..I stand corrected. I guess it must be a 1st winter female, so the head patter through me. I imagine female Cirl would be paler on the head...not necessarliy stripey..but what threw me was this bird was not so stripey on the head.

Sean

Thanks Guys, as usual prompt answers.
First time that I am aware of that I have seen a Yellowhammer so chuffed with that and saw more of the LSE today it appears they are circling above fields that are being harvested or ploughed, I guess this is to catch mice etc that try to escape, amazing to see so many of such a big bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back