• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lyme Regis Birding - or an even quieter Backwater (2 Viewers)

Mild but dull with low clouds rolling over Golden Cap this morning and most of the day.

10 Purple Sandpipers on the land side of the rock armour beyond the Cobb.

Plenty of Rock Pipits and Pied Wagtails around the Cobb and Monmouth beach areas.

Yesterday - 2 Dippers on the Lim opposite Higher Mill Flats.

Completed garden watch - and I was pleased to be able to include a female Blackcap and Nuthatch.

At Church Cliffs, in the newly felled area a Chiffchaff.
Several Oystercatchers on the rocks
Pied and Grey Wagtail and a Black Redstart in front of the Museum.
6 Purple Sandpipers below the outer Cobb Wall.

Attachments

• RBC4_2_0154.jpg
    RBC4_2_0154.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 116
Guillemots in Lyme

On Thursday 31st Jan I was ready to post images of a Guillemot that was on the main beach in Lyme - when I heard the news of birds being washed up along the coast. I had also seen a second on rocks near the N wall of the Cobb. On Friday I discovered one bird a little further down the beach, and it was later rescued by the RSPCA. Sadly, the next day I discovered the body of a Guillemot floating in the harbour. Hopefully this accounts for both the birds that were washed into Lyme; I have not seen any since.

Since 1st Feb, the number of Purple Sandpipers at Lyme has risen to 15 - all were sheltering in the wall at high tide. Since then some have taken to the rocks at the mouth of the Lim - there were 6 there today.

Rock Pipits and Pied Wagtails all along the sea front.

Black Redstart still in the area of the Marine Theatre.

Dipper on the Lim

Attachments

• wRBC4_2_0300.jpg
    wRBC4_2_0300.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 100
  • wRBC4_2_0309.jpg
    wRBC4_2_0309.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 115
2 Dippers flying under the bridge at Jericho this morning

Purple Sandpipers well out on the Ledges.

3 Mediterranean Gulls accompanied by a BH Gull on the ledges.

Attachments

• wRBC4_2_0329.jpg
    wRBC4_2_0329.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 108
  • wRBC4_2_0335.jpg
    wRBC4_2_0335.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 97
  • wRBC4_2_0337.jpg
    wRBC4_2_0337.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 83
Have just returned from the Costa Vicentina having enjoyed seeing many species I haven't seen before. The Azure Winged Magpie being the most stunning - especially in a flock.

Dipper on the Lim pm today

and a Wheatear trying to hide from the wind in a hole in the wall of the Marine Theatre.

Attachments

• wEIMG_0721b.jpg
    wEIMG_0721b.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 105
  • wEIMG_0722b.jpg
    wEIMG_0722b.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 98
A morning fossil hunting at Lyme Regis also produced a few welcome signs of migration:

11 Chiffchaffs (8 feeding on the bowling green)
3 Blackcap
3 White Wagtail
2 Wheatear
5 Swallow
49 Meadow Pipits over
39 Woodpigeon over

No sign of the Waxwings in Chideock this morning.

Was in Lyme for most of yesterday and had a dipper on the river by the Roman Rd/Colway Lane bridge. Other visitors reported having two there. Two purple sands on The Cobb too.

There were at least 30 chiffchaffs along the river between Roman Rd/Colway Lane bridge and the town centre, with two blackcaps and a sand martin also. Heard plenty of mipits overhead all day and had several more chiffchaffs in unlikely places throughout the town. Best of all was a totally unexpected male ring ouzel as we headed back upriver; it flew downriver towards us fast at the tiny green space just above Mill Green and carried on quickly down river. We couldn't refind it and I guess it either dropped into a nearby garden (though none looked that suitable) or carried on and disappeared out of town.

Quick visit to Lyme Regis Yesterday Morning.
Kingfisher on the Lym, Just above the Town Mill, and Dipper a little further up. Nothing of note around the beaches but I heard a Raven as I walked towards the upper part of the Silver Jubilee Gardens, otherwise it was pretty quiet.

Haven't really seen much for a while!

Today on Monmouth Beach

2 Wheatears
3 Ringed Plovers - very difficult to see on the stony beach
1 Turnstone

also plenty of Pied Wagtails and Rock Pipits

1 Dozy Dipper opposite Higher Mill Flats on the Lim

I'm not sure what problems the coastal defence works to the East will have on bird sightings - quite a few usually enjoy feeding on the exposed rocks and sand in this area.

Dipper in the darkest place possible!!!

The image of the Turnstone and 2 Ringed Plovers shows how difficult it is to see the Ringed Plovers on the stones. I only noticed them when they were running over a sandy patch following the Turnstone.

Attachments

• RBC4_13_2729bf.jpg
    RBC4_13_2729bf.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 113
  • RBC4_13_2740bf.jpg
    RBC4_13_2740bf.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 90
  • RBC4_13_2746bf.jpg
    RBC4_13_2746bf.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 98
  • RBC4_13_2752bf.jpg
    RBC4_13_2752bf.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 85
  • RBC4_13_2763bf.jpg
    RBC4_13_2763bf.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 103
Much quieter in Lyme this morning.

Sat on Monmouth beach and watched the 3 Ringed Plovers just 12 ft from me.

Turnstone near to the Cobb.

Plenty of Rock Pipits and a few Pied Wagtails.

Dipper and Grey Wagtail on the Lim.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back