• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie roosts London area? (1 Viewer)

Chotacabras

Hi there

Could anyone tell me locations of sizeable magpie roosts in the London area, up to about one hour's drive from central London? And what months roughly.

I'm equally keen to discover pied wagtail roosts and jackdaw roosts.

It's because I'd like to photograph a roost, I'm looking for good locations.

Many thanks!

OK... to partially answer my own question, I did some googling and found the following reports of magpie roosts...

Hollingbury Wild Park, Brighton, 1999/2001 - 250 (!) magpies
Romford Golf Course, Jan 2011, Feb 2012 - 40/65 magpies
Roding Valley NR, Jan 2011, Feb 2012 - 140/130 magpies
Battersea Park, Feb 2012 - 70 magpies
Horsenden Hill, Feb 2012 - 70 magpies
Lee Valley, Waterworks NR, Nov 2014 - 60 magpies
Epping Forest, Strawberry Hill Ponds, Dec 2014 - 78 magpies
Mardyke, Stifford-Aveley, Dec 2014 - 50 magpies
Warren Gorge, Dec 2014 - 75 magpies
near Pulborough Brooks - c60 magpies

I haven't had time to search more exhaustively (e.g. through East London Birders Forum reports), I'm sure there are many more. Certainly some places to start looking! November to February seem the months of the biggest concentrations, though again this is just the result of some cursory googling.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back