• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (6 Viewers)

Mike - interesting that the bird is on Juniperus phoenacea and on limestone - just like our bird in Portugal (2007-8) and an adult male too!

Big congrats Mike, glad it paid off in the end. :t::t:
I got there at midday and there it was!! Wow, a text book male. Having said that though, if a female were to turn up one day I think there are very few birders who would be able to separate if from a female of other redstart species.. :smoke:

I see the bird has a routine, so it has probably been there a while. Amazingly tame. Even I managed to get a few terrible pics with my compact camera.
IMG_2534.jpg

Lets hope that this bird is a premonition of the year to come B :)

Last edited:
I hope so Steve, thanks. Two new birds in January so far is quite good! The bird is still present today and has been extensively videoed and photographed. Interestingly, where we were all looking originally early on Sunday morning ie further out towards the point, was the right place and where it had been first seen. It now seems to be always around the cafe area. I think the one in Portugal left in February so this one may well follow the same pattern. Mike

Hi,

I'm visiting the Island for my first birding trip at the beginning of May, can anyone recommend any web resources I can use to research/plan the trip in terms of best sites to visit?

Regards,

Neil

Hi Neil, the beginning of May has to be one of the best times to come. There is a great book "A Birding Tourist's Guide to Mallorca" which details all the major sites to visit. I am not sure where you can get a copy of it but others on this site I hope will let you know and will also help with information. It all depends where you are staying and if you will have transport. The main reserve at s'Albufera is a must, the number of species seen is excellent. Also Albufereta marsh, the watchtower at Albercutx is the best place for raptor migration, a walk down the Bóquer Valley is very productive and can turn up a few surprises, the Central Plain is often ignored by visiting birders but will probably have a few Lesser kestrels and Red-footed falcons staying for a while. You will have to know exactly where to go though, it is a big area! The list of birds to see is amazing and includes Eleanora's falcons, Scops owl, Woodchat shrike, Balearic warbler, Moustached warbler, Sardinian warbler, Hoopoe, Alpine swift, Pallid swift, both Griffon and Black vultures can be seen but mostly in the mountains. Cuber reservoir would be the best place to go with the added possibility of seeing Rock thrush and Subalpine warbler, well, the list goes on. If there is a specific bird you want to see let me know. Anything else also, just post here and I and others will help you. Good luck and do post your sightings when the time comes. All the best, Mike

Mike,

Thanks very much for the info, and I'll see if I can get the book you mention.

We are staying near the main reserve you mention, and yes we will have a car.

Regards,

Neil

Well done Neil, it is really useful and will show you all the best places to go including a very productive walk in the central plain. You may also see Red-throated pipits and an outside chance of Calandra larks, there were some there last year. Good luck!

I was at Punta de n'Amer for the Moussier's redstart on Monday 16th January and managed to find the bird within 5 minutes of arriving at the cafe, thanks to Mike Montier's directions. A very confiding, stunning bird. I managed to get some decent photos and was lucky to get the best of the weather before the rain came. Thanks Mike!

Attachments

• Moussier's Redstart_2903_2.jpg
    Moussier's Redstart_2903_2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Moussier's Redstart_2937_2.JPG
    Moussier's Redstart_2937_2.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 86
Pleasure Clive, just so glad you saw it. Just mailed Phil, I bet he's a bit envious but hope it stays for him to see it. Stunning photos Clive, I particularly wanted to see the feet to help establish the bird's genuine credentials, not that I had much doubt, but a couple of people were asking the usual question about it's origin. Mike

The Moussier's redstart is still at Punta de n'Amer, the examples in Malta and Portugal stayed for the whole of February so this one may well follow the same pattern. Good numbers of Common crane around the Island but, apart from that, this is about the quietest winter I remember. Low numbers of wintering species and some are absent, or at least not reported. The recent cold weather front may have changed things so I will report as and when news comes in.

Very cold with Northerly winds but they did not bring many birds with them to my knowledge. Early days. Over 40 Common crane at Salobrar with still good numbers of Greater flamingo there. Italian sparrow still near Villafranca. Early migrants should begin to arrive just as soon as the wind swings around again, I have quite a few records of migrants in late February. Mike

A swift has made it here already. Near Alcudia. I have seen them before on 28th Feb but this one is really early, especially with all these cold northerlies and snow!

At least 16 Common crane in a field near Maria, a flock of 40 Song thrush and over 100 Lapwing were hard weather movements most likely. A bit warmer now thank goodness, it was mighty cold.

Salobrar de Campos this morning. Over 100 Common crane in the fields at the back, 2 Red kite, 1 Osprey, 2 Peregrine, 5 Marsh harrier, 2 Booted eagle and a few Greater flamingo.

Last edited:
Hi Mike - how reliable is Marbled duck on the island these days? I've just booked a long weekend in mid May staying in Alcúdia, with a hire car to get around in. Marbled D would be one of my targets - the others being Black Vulture, Eleonora's and Balearic Warbler.
Cheers for any advice - I read there are/were a couple of pairs at s'Albufera at least a few years ago.
The guide you recommended is already on order - it looks a great book!

Hi Jonathan. The birds you list should all be possible. Marbled duck are best seen at s'Albufera. There are never very many but you should be ok. Black vultures are seen from the Bóquer Valley or Cuber reservoir would be better if you can get there. It is worth a visit because Sub-alpine warbler, Spectacled warbler and Rock thrush are an outside chance as well. Balearic warbler I always see most reliably at Bóquer valley but they are all around the Island in suitable habitat. Patience is required though. Eleanora's falcons are seen at s'Albufera and from the lighthouse at Formentor amongst other sites. You should have no problem. They also come to drink at Cuber so you could see all of your target birds except Marbled duck from this one site. Good luck and do let me know what you see. Mike

Hi Jonathon
I'll be at s'Albufera from 13 April until 4 May with a break from 18-24 April when I'll be on Cabrera. I'll try to remember to post if (and where) Marbled Duck are sighted - plus any other useful info
I'm sure you will have a great trip.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back